Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
WFD

Water Pump Strainer Bowl

I have noticed the last couple of years after winterizing using RV antifreeze pumped through the pressure pump, that the contents in the bowl of the strainer are still very clear. I would expect to see the pink RV antifreeze in that bowl? Haven't had an issue come spring time, so I assume all is good, but should the contents of the bowl not be noticeably pink?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #2

If you turn on the pump, that will empty. What ever water does not drain from the tank will get in there if you move your unit. FW tanks don't drain fully.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #3

Unless you put the antifreeze in the fresh water holding tank the strainer will not have antifreeze pass through it. Typically, the antifreeze enters the pump between the strainer and pump via valve selection.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Unless you put the antifreeze in the fresh water holding tank the strainer will not have antifreeze pass through it. Typically, the antifreeze enters the pump between the strainer and pump via valve selection.
Bing!

And you win 1000 pesos!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #5

I unscrew the pump bowl strainer and dump the fresh water out. If you continue to leave the fresh water in there and no anti-freeze is pumped in, the bowl will freeze and crack sometime down the road and leak.

Yes, you can buy an after market bowl for your pump when it cracks....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I unscrew the pump bowl strainer and dump the fresh water out. If you continue to leave the fresh water in there and no anti-freeze is pumped in, the bowl will freeze and crack sometime down the road and leak.

Yes, you can buy an after market bowl for your pump when it cracks....
What I used to do (live in the desert...don't need to winterize anymore) is to run the pump empty...

In otherwords, just before I would run the pink stuff through the water pump and have already emptied the fresh water tank, I turn on the pump for about five seconds, which pulls the water out of the fresh water line, including the strainer.

Then bypass the water line from the fresh water tank by switching the pump to the AF hose pump.

Works every time without having to unscrew the filter/strainer.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
You don't...or shouldn't put AF in the FW tank. You'd need gals and gals before you have enough in it to pump into the system. All my TT's that had systems installed, the inlet was before the pump on the incoming line from FW tank. My current TT, I disconnect the line from the FW tank, put on a adapter and a piece of hose and drop it in a bucket that I pour my AF into. Pump is full, bowl is full with AF when I'm done.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
You don't...or shouldn't put AF in the FW tank. You'd need gals and gals before you have enough in it to pump into the system. All my TT's that had systems installed, the inlet was before the pump on the incoming line from FW tank. My current TT, I disconnect the line from the FW tank, put on a adapter and a piece of hose and drop it in a bucket that I pour my AF into. Pump is full, bowl is full with AF when I'm done.
Agree, I was just providing info to the OP. Why don't you just splice a permanent selector valve with a hose attached (for your AF bucket) in the line between the pump and strainer and be done with it. Now just turn the valve to the bucket hose and bingo your in business for winterizing. Turn it back to the holding tank when done. No disconnecting and reconnecting anything.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Agree, I was just providing info to the OP. Why don't you just splice a permanent selector valve with a hose attached (for your AF bucket) in the line between the pump and strainer and be done with it. Now just turn the valve to the bucket hose and bingo your in business for winterizing. Turn it back to the holding tank when done. No disconnecting and reconnecting anything.

I would personally put the selector valve between the FW tank and the strainer. The strainer is between the FW tank and the pump so it can strain out debris before it gets to the pump.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #10

Sounds pretty extreme when all we need to do is demo the water out of the strainer bowl as part of winterization.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I would personally put the selector valve between the FW tank and the strainer. The strainer is between the FW tank and the pump so it can strain out debris before it gets to the pump.
If you have debris in your store bought antifreeze bottle, you have antifreeze supplier issues and should be addressed with the store/supplier.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:52 PM   #12

OK - I'll be the stupid guy Where is the fresh water strainer bowl located? Is it attached to the pump? Sorry for being stupid.
2018 297 RSK Primetime Crusader
The Mustard Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mustard Seed View Post
Where is the fresh water strainer bowl located?

Is it attached to the pump?
Directly in front of the water pump on the water-inlet side of the pump.

See below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterpumpCheckValve-P4161998.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	188680  
Old 10-09-2018, 12:55 AM   #14
Just as confused as you

Quote:
If you have debris in your store bought antifreeze bottle, you have antifreeze supplier issues and should be addressed with the store/supplier.

That's not the point. Most don't have much room between the screen and the WP to splice in a valve. Mine is like the one in JohnD10's pic. The screen is connected directly to the water pump intake and there is not enough room under the bathroom sink to put the valve between the two. There is plenty of room before the screen to splice it into the intake hose. In fact, the AF line goes in before the screen into my system.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
That's not the point. Most don't have much room between the screen and the WP to splice in a valve. Mine is like the one in JohnD10's pic. The screen is connected directly to the water pump intake and there is not enough room under the bathroom sink to put the valve between the two. There is plenty of room before the screen to splice it into the intake hose. In fact, the AF line goes in before the screen into my system.
This is a totally different reason than previously stated and does make sense.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Yeah...on some trailers that may be difficult to do, but on our Cherokee it's quite simple to disconnect the line and hook my other line to the bucket, but yeah...easy to install an extra valve if I wanted.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #17

Strainer bowls should be placed so that the bowl is down so that any debris/solids will fall to bottom of bowl and stay there. That also means water will remain in it if you use air pressure to empty your lines. After it froze and cracked the first year I used that method I always unscrew and empty it and the water filter.
dsiegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Not on any units I've owned.
The strainer has always been screwed directly to the pump and the antifreeze injection point is between the strainer and fresh tank.

I suppose from your comment yours isn't that way but you can't always paint with a broad brush.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Not on any units I've owned.
The strainer has always been screwed directly to the pump and the antifreeze injection point is between the strainer and fresh tank.

I suppose from your comment yours isn't that way but you can't always paint with a broad brush.
I did say "typically" and also just providing a possible reason for why the OP didn't see pink stuff in the strainer. Of course the adapter (valve) can be installed anywhere in series with the tank side tube to the pump.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #20
WFD

Quote:
I did say "typically" and also just providing a possible reason for why the OP didn't see pink stuff in the strainer. Of course the adapter (valve) can be installed anywhere in series with the tank side tube to the pump.
OP here...my strainer is located between my winterization valve and the pump, so the antifreeze should be visible in the strainer. I am surprised my strainer hasn't cracked in the past, because like I mentioned in the OP, it's been like this a couple years now with no issue.

Tags
pump, water, water pump