Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #1

Water Pump Won't Switch On

Our water pump does not come on when switched on. I have done some additional troubleshooting and I am running out of ideas of what is wrong. We got to our campground and we had electricity but no city water. Everything works except our water pump and the tank and battery level indicators which are on the same small panel. The propane water heater switch on the same panel does still light up. I have checked fuses, GFI, battery, and we filled our water tank. The valves are in the proper position. I opened the panel up to check for loose connections and couldn’t find any. The pump still works (I applied 12 volt power directly from a battery to the pump leads). I tried testing voltage at the switch, I wasn't able to measure any voltage, but I'm not sure if I was getting an accurate reading. I replaced the water pump switch but that didn’t do any good. My best guess is that there is wiring connection between the power panel and the switch or perhaps a ground wire on the switch that is loose. Anybody else have any ideas? I have an 2018 R-pod 190.
bakerdj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:15 PM   #2

Just trying to cover all the bases. The pump fuse is typically an inline fuse at the pump. Assuming you've checked that, right?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #3

Mine has in inline at the pump...

Just thinking out loud... It is DC.... I assume the switch breaks the 12v +...if it broke the ground would there be 12v at the switch???.... I assume since there is no power it the switch and the power comes FROM the switch??? maybe a fuse at the switch??? They stick fuses all over the place. Cheap checks.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
llr

Did you find an in-line fuse near the water pump as mentioned above? Which side of this fuse did you connect the 12V to for the water pump test?
measure the voltage across the switch, with it on it should read near 0, with it off it should read 12.x.
Measure from both sides of the switch to a known good ground(-) point, even if you need to go back to the battery.
Does the switch have a light in it? if so there will be extra connections to be sure you have the proper ones.
Do you have a 2nd water pump switch? being a smaller unit I would guess not.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #5

I'd go back and test the following with a multi-meter:

1. At the pump, test the positive wire ground. (use a chassis ground point, not the wire) This will help confirm if your problem is the positive or the negative wire to the pump.
2. If above shows no positive current, then move to the switch. Test for incoming 12v.
3. If no incoming 12v, then there has to be a break somewhere before the switch.

Think back, was anything done to the RV that could have caused it, a screw into a wall that could have broke a wire? A short of any kind?

Depending on where the pump is located, an interim solution could be to run another fused and switched hot wire from a nearby location to at least get your functionality back.
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. I am not aware of any fuses other than what is in the power panel/fuse box. My camper is in storage right now so I can't try some of the suggestions until the next time I go camping. Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #7

Smile found the problem

I finally got the chance to remove the power panel and look for the problem. Following the wire from the panel fuse, I found the wire connected with another wire with a wire nut. Then I noticed another wire with a bare end close by. I connected the lose wire to the wire from the power panel and everything now works. I was little surprised that there was an in-line fuse in the wire I reattached (it was not blown). Seems like a bad place to put another fuse when you have to remove the power panel to get to it.

Thanks for all the input from everyone.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:17 AM   #8

Just to prevent a relapse of this situation, I would use a crimped connection to replace that wire nut or at a minimum, tape that connection and wire nut up well with electrical tape. RV's moving down the road have a way of wiggling wire nuts and pulling wires loose from them. I replace them wherever I find them on my RV. Ought to be banned from being used in RV's in my opinion.

About 40% of my 12v problems over the years have been wire nut related followed closely by bad grounds and fuses blown.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:47 PM   #9

rpod 179 water pump stops working

I was winterizing the rpod. It was pumping RV antifreeze through the water pump and the water pump stopped working.

I checked all the 15A fuses and they are fine.

Can't get it to restart.

Any ideas?
stanner01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:55 PM   #10

Open the faucet
Old 10-31-2021, 02:30 PM   #11
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanner01 View Post
I was winterizing the rpod. It was pumping RV antifreeze through the water pump and the water pump stopped working.

I checked all the 15A fuses and they are fine.

Can't get it to restart.

Any ideas?
If you opened a faucet and still can't get the pump to pump then go outside to your city water connection, pull the cap off, remove the screened washer, stand off to the side, then stick your finger in and push the check valve button. If you encounter a stream of water coming out then you've relieved an air lock. It is best to relieve all the pressure in that line. Then try your pump again.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, switch, water, water pump