Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #1

Wet trash compartment

I looked through the archives and couldn't find any info. I've got a 2007 wildcat with the trash bin under the kitchen counter that you lift up the cover and throw trash into the wastebasket below. It has an access door on the outside to remove the wastebasket and change the bag, etc. Every time I change the bag, I notice that the floor of the compartment is quite wet. I can't find any leaks in the under sink plumbing or any other reason why the compartment would be wet. The hot water heater is in the adjacent compartment if that makes any difference. Any ideas?
bamdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #2

I'd be willing to bet that the outside door frame needs to be resealed. It doesn't take much more than a pinhole to allow a surprising amount of water to get in. I had water getting into the front storage compartment on my 08 Wildcat and resealing the compartment frame solved the problem. It drove me nuts for quite a while.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #3

If you mean rainwater getting in, it happens even when it hasn't rained.
bamdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamdvm View Post
If you mean rainwater getting in, it happens even when it hasn't rained.
Hmmm, not rainwater. Have you checked to make sure the cold water line into the hot water tank and winterizing valves aren't leaking? BTW, what model Wildcat do you have?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

First thing you have to do is dry it out. Remove the trash can. and don't put back in. Open outside door for a day or two, and get it dry. Put water pressure on the system, and wait a day. See if it is wet then. While you are waiting, or the nest time you remove your garbage bag. Check to see if it is wet on the bottom. If it is, then see if the trash can is cracked, and maybe just liquid from the garbage getting on the floor. Might need to upgrade trash bags, or double bag. We bought some bad ones last month, everyone of them leaked. It was here in the house though, tall kitchen bags, won't mention brand.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote