Old 12-27-2009, 08:41 PM   #1

What is 'low point drain'?

What I really want to ask is where the low point drain should be? Some of you may have seen my previous post about my 'missing low point valves' which did turn up on the opposite side of the trailer from what was indicated by the sticker.

While looking for them, I loosened the underbelly to peek inside. I did see two water lines running from below the shower on the 'drivers side' towards the front of the trailer, wrapping around and heading to the 'door side' towards the rear of the trailer. Eventually, I found the low point valves under the area where the hot water heater is located.

However, the low point drains did not protrude from the underbelly, but the actual floor of the trailer between the frame and the side skirt. This made me wonder how these could be the 'low point drains' when they are clearly not the 'low point' of the water lines as I know there are lines below the floor in the underbelly. (I do not like the fact that the water lines lay on the underbelly as this seems to make them prone to freezing.)

After thinking about it, I thought that maybe the 'low point drains' are actually placed at the end of the water line, or as far from the inlet as possible. This would make sense when you consider that if the low point drain was near the inlet, blowing the lines out may not work as well.

Does this make sense? Or am I over thinking it. My main concern is whether I car really blow out the water with an air compressor when there are lines under the floor and the drains come from above the floor?

Thanks,
ParTimCmpr

Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Head Rambler

Everything you say makes sense. You can blow the lines out but you do have to make sure you blow all the lines out. Our low point drains come out through the underbelly skin but that doesn't mean that they're actually the low point. In fact, I'd bet like yours, they're not. I don't worry about it though. I just blow air out each point until no more comes out. I even drain the water heater then put the plug back in and blow air through all the hot water piping too. Once that's done I take the anode rod back out of the hot water tank.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Everything you say makes sense. You can blow the lines out but you do have to make sure you blow all the lines out. Our low point drains come out through the underbelly skin but that doesn't mean that they're actually the low point. In fact, I'd bet like yours, they're not. I don't worry about it though. I just blow air out each point until no more comes out. I even drain the water heater then put the plug back in and blow air through all the hot water piping too. Once that's done I take the anode rod back out of the hot water tank.
X2 for me. I have rarely found that "low point" actually means it's the lowest point. Like you I have found on several RVs that they aren't. Like Bama says, blow the lines out with air and your good.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #4

I 'winterized' Friday in preparation for the cold weather in the Atlanta area. Draining first from the 'low point drains' did make it a bit easier as most of the water drained simply by opening all faucets and draining via the drains. I must say thought - I hate the 'caps' used on the drains. My previous trailer had valves which could easily be opened and closed. I will be adding 'garden hose' valves to mine right away.

Happy camping in 2010!

ParTimCmpr