Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #41

You have an infestation from a species of carpenter ant. You can get rid of them with a minimum of effort by placing 1 no pest strip per 8 sq. ft. area of space and sealing down the trailer for two weeks.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:11 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchamp40 View Post
Well from an RV tech colony of ants appears extensive. This did not happen overnight! Epidemiologist mentioned larvae could have been in wood when RV was built. We took delivery 1 year 3 days ago. Thanks for all your tips!
Get a report from the exterminator and get it to FR. IF it was there from the factory they should cover it under warranty.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:19 PM   #43

My new unit (less than 60 days) has a few spots on the back wall that look similar, I’m hoping it’s not an infestation, when I knock on the area fo the bump and around the bump it’s very solid. Did you happen to notice if the area still felt solid?
CruisingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:32 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCajun View Post
My new unit (less than 60 days) has a few spots on the back wall that look similar, I’m hoping it’s not an infestation, when I knock on the area fo the bump and around the bump it’s very solid. Did you happen to notice if the area still felt solid?

Very hard where there are “trails” under the wall paper. You can send a specimen (if you’re from LA, noticed Cajun in your name) send to LSU. Their form and info is here http://www.lsuinsects.org/public_services.html
Kchamp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:43 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Get a report from the exterminator and get it to FR. IF it was there from the factory they should cover it under warranty.

Yes we are getting several types of documentation. Thanks! I’m sure FR will take care of
Kchamp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #46

Water damage under the substrate
Dpelaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #47

WARRANTY

Quote:
This is the bugs coming out of wall. Attachment 173756Attachment 173757
Have you notified Forest River? Since it's a 2018, warranty claim is important. What is your dealer doing for you? You have rot behind the wall boards and ant infestation....water intrusion is to blame...have you ever visited Elkhart IN? Might be the fastest solution if you are close to the end of warranty! keep folks posted....
ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #48

bugs

Quote:
Black and the size of a flea. We only see them if we hit on the wall and just 3 or 4 at a time
I use Bifenit 7.9% (do my own pest control.com) around my house,in my house,around my camper and in my camper one treatment lasts 3 months no bugs,giant spiders,little spiders,bees,wasps etc kills everything harmless to pets when dry and that's when you apply it. Not a quick knockdown product but have not seen a wasp nest anywhere on my 3.4 acres. I came from Ct we had a wasp nest behind every shutter and shingle none here in NC at my house. No ants no food for the spiders which can go months without a meal. I also check my roof often on my 2017 Salem 29 RKSS 5th wheel & took all the cabinets apart and foamed all the holes they made to run electric and pipes (4" hole to run 1" of pipes and electric most of the time) all foamed underneath where insects try and get in as well. Got to be proactive they bang these units out. This is my 5th RV had all driving ones before and did the same to them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Android Pictures 073.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	174607  
m38mpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #49

Carpenter ants are usually larger than that. What they may be (and what they look like is "Odorous House Ants"). Normally they do not cause damage and are a foraging type ant (they look for food) and their nest is elsewhere. But I'm wondering if the wall paper or wallpaper past may be a food source? One way you can check is to crush a few with your fingers and smell them, if it smells like Coconut, (some say old rotten coconut), they are the odorous house ants. With carpenter ants you should be seeing carved out passages.
desc10th87reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #50

ants

I live in South Carolina and our carpenter ants are very large. Same in Florida. Park camper in direct sunlight for about a week with all windows/vents shut and they will all be dead. You will have to clean out your overhead lights. Very small ants another problem all together. Spray quality bug spray all around camper including jacks, power cords, wheels, landing gear, etc. If that doesn't work Walmart and Lowes sells an ant bait/ killer in a clear plastic tray (once the box is opened). It works great but not in the tray. Open the tray and place liquid on wax paper or plastic wrap in area where ants are noted. Works for me, my 2 cents. Good luck!
sc_cmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:23 PM   #51

Is this near a window? Sometimes things can get wet from the inside due to condensation. Carpenter ants are larger than what you are describing but there are other ants that eat building products.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #52

Yes, it's a leak. I had it on my walls over the cab. First noticed water on the cab over floor. Fought the leak for a couple years thinking it was due to poor caulking where the fiberglass meets the trim, but the real culprit where the screws that attach the gutters to the side wall had loosened over time. Fix was to take the screws out, caulk screw holes and put the screws back in with a dab of caulk on the heads. These screws are hidden by a 1" trim piece that runs the length of the rv. I noticed the leak first hand while it was raining - water was dripping from the wall not the ceiling and it was just running down the wall to the window frame and eventually dropping down the the overhead area sleeping base. This is on a 2005 class c Sunseeker. Been fixed professionally
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #53

Looks like carpenter ants to me. Had the same thing happen to my sisters camper. I had to open up wall, kill the ants and find the leak. Carpenter ants are very destructive.
dale calcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #54

I just had my 2018 E-pro fumigated for "Powder Post Beetles". I found tiny holes in my cupboards where they had eaten their way out of the wood. It came from the mfg with them, fortunately FR is paying the tab under the warrenty. You need to have an exterminator look at it.
Suke2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #55

Quote:
Has anyone seen anything like this? The wallpaper design makes it hard to see and you can only see in certain light. This is located on the rear wall of RV. It looks grainy like sand and is tough but you can’t remove it. It’s hard and behind wallpaper. Thanks!

Katie & Frank
2018 Forester “The Note”
Attachment 173738Attachment 173739
That is a wood ant. And they will eat wood just like termites.
Rick Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:20 PM   #56

Ants, ants, ants

Unfortnately there is likely an ant colony in your wall, living in the insulation. They get in by following where moisture likely found its way in. I have had to rio apart walls in mobile homes to eradicate the ants, then rebuilding. Wish i could suggest another solution but that is the best way to make sure you get rid of them all, including the queen.
LakerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:54 PM   #57

If they are the size of a flea, they are not carpenter ants. Most likely argentine ants or maybe odorous house ants. Either way they can nest in wall voids among other places. Probably attracted to moisture from a leak but not always. Argentine ants are very common in a lot of parks that we all camp in and can enter with ease. You may have some success treating the inside with Terro PCO ant bait stations and exterior plus infested wall voids with Taurus SC insecticide. Be sure to read the label and follow the instructions as there are restrictions of how and where you may apply the insecticide. If in doubt on how to safely use these or other products, call a licensed pest control operator.
camp2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:00 AM   #58

Looks like carpenter ants have gotten in
MichaelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #59

hi ants do not eat wood. They only live in wood. buy terador and spray lighty around the area and outside. this will kill all the ants
abarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #60
Old Engineer

They may not eat it, but they do chew it!

From Orkin:

How Did I Get Carpenter Ants?
These insects usually build their nests in damp, sound or decaying wood. Homes with moisture issues caused by leaks are prime targets for carpenter ants. The pests will also use tree branches that overhang roofs as a bridge, accessing buildings to find a way inside. Unsealed openings around utility pipes and wires are common entry points.

How Serious Are Carpenter Ants?

Cosmetic & Structural Damage
When carpenter ants build nests, they dig out tunnels in wood, weakening it from the inside. A long-term infestation with multiple colonies in a home often means serious structural damage and unsightly cosmetic damage.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote