Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #1

What is this open pipe?

I have a brand new 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 204RD and discovered this pipe sticking up through the floor. It's coming up through the floor above the fresh water tank. The hose running along side it is the water inlet to the pump from the fresh water tank. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190420_175443.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	202349  
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:06 PM   #2

So the Blue one with the connector goes to your pump ? What about the smaller white one ? Where does it go ? The Larger white one is the gravity fill for the FW tank. The cut off blue one is a mystery. Do you have an overflow line for your FW tank coming out the bottom of the trailer ?
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
Retired Old Fart

This is where one of those $20 inspection camera/endoscope units that fit on your smart phone would come in handy. Snake the camera/led end down that cut out and see where the mystery line goes. I have one and it has saved my butt a few times on where to run added electrical lines, or "what's behind that panel", etc...

I'm talking about units that plug into your phone (or communicate via wifi). A 6' model is all you usually need and they are the less expensive ones.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
So the Blue one with the connector goes to your pump ? What about the smaller white one ? Where does it go ? The Larger white one is the gravity fill for the FW tank. The cut off blue one is a mystery. Do you have an overflow line for your FW tank coming out the bottom of the trailer ?
The blue one that is hooked up goes to the water pump. The small white one is the vent for the fresh water fill and the large white one is the fresh water fill.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
This is where one of those $20 inspection camera/endoscope units that fit on your smart phone would come in handy. Snake the camera/led end down that cut out and see where the mystery line goes. I have one and it has saved my butt a few times on where to run added electrical lines, or "what's behind that panel", etc...

I'm talking about units that plug into your phone (or communicate via wifi). A 6' model is all you usually need and they are the less expensive ones.
I do have one at work and could give it a try. I blew into the end of the hose and I think it's a second hose that goes into the fresh water tank. Not sure why two hoses would be needed to take water from the tanks
Old 04-21-2019, 05:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
I do have one at work and could give it a try. I blew into the end of the hose and I think it's a second hose that goes into the fresh water tank. Not sure why two hoses would be needed to take water from the tanks
the fresh water tank needs a fill hose, a drain hose, a vent/overflow hose, and a supply hose to the pump. I'm betting that hose is the vent/overflow hose that is supposed to point down at the ground. Just guessing.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:29 AM   #7

I would think it's just an 'air vent' for the water tank, which prevents 'suction' from happening when the pump is pulling water from the tank, or to provide a way for air to be pushed from the tank when filling it.

my tank has two, and both come out near the top of the tank, and exit down below the coach, also providing for overflow if the tank is filled too high.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:42 AM   #8

I also have have a 2018 204RD and do not have a second blue hose coming up from the tank.

I'd guess maybe a hose that wasn't working properly and got replaced.
luker0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by luker0 View Post
I also have have a 2018 204RD and do not have a second blue hose coming up from the tank.

Well that's interesting. I will be blocking it off. A bit scary thinking that water could possibly end up of the floor on a full tank.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
the fresh water tank needs a fill hose, a drain hose, a vent/overflow hose, and a supply hose to the pump. I'm betting that hose is the vent/overflow hose that is supposed to point down at the ground. Just guessing.
Thinking the same thing....man what a screw up that would be when the tank is FULL !
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Thinking the same thing....man what a screw up that would be when the tank is FULL !
If that's the case then the tanks would have to come down to position the hose correctly.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #12

Can someone comment on where the overflow hose comes out at the bottom of the FW tank. It has skirting underneath so I'm assuming there should be a hose visible on the underside.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #13
Site Team

Large white house is fill hose. Small white hose is tank vent goes to fill access on side RV. Blue one connected to pump is suction line for FW . second unconnected blue line appears to be unused and simply not removed

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #14

I'm thinking the open blue hose isn't my overflow. When I blow into the open end of the hose I can feel resistance and hear "bubbles" in the tank. The tanks only has a small amount of antifreeze from winter storage so this tells me the hose goes to the bottom of the tank. I looked under the trailer and can't see an overflow hose out the bottom. Isn't it possible the overflow is the vent pipe that goes up to the fill hose?
Old 04-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #15

Quote:

Can you do me a favor and look under your trailer and tell me where your overflow pipe comes out? When you overfill your FW tank does water come out the vent outlet next to the fill inlet?
Old 04-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #16

Bubbles is not something you would want to hear. Even if it was a secondary vent (assuming the white tube is the actual vent) then it is lower than the vent based on the picture. That means it will leak in the trailer before out the vent...
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #17
Pockets

The small white hose is just an air vent tube. But water will come out of it if the FW tank is filled. However in RuggyBuggy's case, the water may come out of the blue unconnected hose but only if there is pressure in the FW tank. The air vent tube is so that FW will flow without restrictions.
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg 2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(174 nights) 2018(157 nights) 2019(79 nights) 2020(108 nights)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
Can you do me a favor and look under your trailer and tell me where your overflow pipe comes out? When you overfill your FW tank does water come out the vent outlet next to the fill inlet?
Overflow is connected to the fill cap. Top left side. Never to overfill yet though.
luker0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Overflow is connected to the fill cap. Top left side. Never to overfill yet though.
So that's good new. Glad you didn't say you had an overflow tube out the bottom. I'm suspecting that the open blue hose is a secondary water feed from the fresh water tank that someone mistakenly forgot to cap. Maybe it was an updated tank that comes installed on the 2019 Freedom Express. My trailer was bought in Oct of 2018 and was listed as a 2019. I'll cap it of and be done with it.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:58 PM   #20
Retired Old Fart

Did you try to tug on it to see if it feels like it's attached to anything or just sitting loose in the tank?
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote