Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #1

What modifications have you made for physically or mentally handicapped campers?

I have twin 5 year old daughters, one of whom is moderately autistic. She likes to wake up in the middle of the night and wonder. At home we keep her bedroom locked so she can't get into things she shouldn't. She's mastered every child safety lock and gate, so there is no keeping her out of chemicals, knives, etc.

We went on our first trip last weekend with our new camper. It has a door into the bottom bunk up front, where she sleeps at. Not a good combination.

I just installed a gate lock on the outside, so she can't open the door in the middle of the night.

lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #2

Locking a EXIT DOOR is a BAD IDEA! Youroo!!
Old 09-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #3

I agree, not good. I think I would have installed a lock INSIDE at the top so you can still get out if needed.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Locking a EXIT DOOR is a BAD IDEA! Youroo!!
Its a half size door for loading stuff into the bottom bunk / storage area.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
Site Team

While it is an exit, sometimes we have to do risk assessment and management, and sometimes it's not perfect. I'd say that there's a much greater chance of her being lost or injured by getting out the door than from anything possibly happening inside the RV that she'd need to escape from.

Also, since the latch is on the outside, someone can unlatch it and get her out in case anything happens. Whereas if the latch was on the inside they couldn't.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
While it is an exit, sometimes we have to do risk assessment and management, and sometimes it's not perfect. I'd say that there's a much greater chance of her being lost or injured by getting out the door than from anything possibly happening inside the RV that she'd need to escape from.

Also, since the latch is on the outside, someone can unlatch it and get her out in case anything happens. Whereas if the latch was on the inside they couldn't.
All very good points.

We originally had one of those magnetic alarms on it, so that if she opened it, a siren would go off. But of course, she had to do that the first night she slept in it, and I was like, no way am I dealing with that every night.

Much greater chance of her getting out while we're sleeping and getting lost or injured, than a fire preventing her from going out the other door that's about 2 feet away from the other entrance to her bunk.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #7

On my last two campers we have added extra hand rails or grab handles here and there. I've got some bad knees and the wife has bad ankles. We somewhat down graded to a TT from a fifth wheel TH. While I hate dealing the WD hitch I love the flat floor in our unit.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #8

My brother in law purchased a toy hauler travel trailer to accommodate his wife who has MS and is in a wheel chair. He doesn't haul toys but the ramp in the back is easy access for the wheel chair. Great application for a toy hauler. Having a custom trailer built with a built in lift would have been significantly more expensive.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #9

Handicap accessability

We have built an entrance ramp for our 30 year old son's power wheelchair and successfully used it in two travel trailers and our current fifth wheel trailer, the toy hauler we tried was of to great a height to use the rear gate ramp but we were able to use our existing ramps,
Our Prowler Travel trailer had a rear bathroom and we opened the wall, hinging it to make a double door to provide ability to transfer into bathroom
Raptor toy hauler had elevator beds and modified bathroom door, so once inside things were good . But both trailers were over 40" floor height making entry harrowing which led us to our current trailer.
Rockwood signature 8280Ws. floor height 32" much easier to enter, Bathroom not usable but other arrangements have been made.
Couch folds out into bed with air mattress very comfortable.
All trailers have 30" entry doors, for shorter trips we tow fifth wheel and bring wheelchair van, for longer trips we are able to store power chair inside trailer near entry blocking and securing it with straps. He is able to sit in pickup front seat,and we have a folding chair for rest stops. He/we have enjoyed camping since his early childhood and before.
We can only suggest using a latch higher up on the doors to prevent unwanted door opening it is unclear from picture if that approach would work for you.
God Bless and Camp ON.
tonyb1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:

I'm OP's wife. It's exactly this. Yes, having an exit secured from the outside could potentially be a safety hazard, the chance of her getting out in the middle of the night is much higher and frankly much scarier to me.
juhesihcaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #11
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:

X2

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #12
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhesihcaaa View Post
I'm OP's wife. It's exactly this. Yes, having an exit secured from the outside could potentially be a safety hazard, the chance of her getting out in the middle of the night is much higher and frankly much scarier to me.
I think your doing right thing for your situation Most people just wanna judge others don't take that behavior to heart
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #13

On our unit, the window in that doors is also an emergency exit escape window, as is the one in the back bed slide out.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, cat, modifications