Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #1

what the heck is with all this???

Just bought a sierra 356saqb and did a ton of homework but missed this place!! what promted me was the probs people said they were having with the lippert frames. I have to say im concerned now. we took it ot on a 4 hour round trip and camped for 5 days and had a full house. so far no major issues except slide got stuck. any of you have any comments on this? I am the guy who did the poll back in july, about people in the forum getting another forest river rv product. Thanks for any input!!

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ain-45771.html

This is the link im wondering about in my subject

Forest River Complaints from Jan 24, 2013 to May 8, 2013 @ Pissed Consumer
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #2

I feel that your are going to have problems with anything you buy and you're going to have people that do nothing but complain about these things. Fact of the matter is that Forest River and at least my Forest River Dealer has really been there to back me up when needed! I had to get assertive at one point letting them know I wasn't going to be pushed around and ended up with the end result I was after! I have had some issues with Forest River but I don't feel their issues are any worse than any other manufacture nor do I feel their service left me out to dry....

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #3

You already have your RV so quit worrying about what might happen and enjoy what you have. BTW, Lippert provides frames for the majority of the RV industry, not just Forest River. Have there been frame problems with some RVs? Yes, but a very small minority.

Over the years I’ve read of frame problems with Cougars, Montanas (Keystone RV), and Sundance (Heartland) fifth wheels. All of these are part of Thor Industries. But again, the problems were a very small number when compared to the thousands of fifth wheels sold every year in the U.S.

Quit looking for the negative and start enjoying your RV. I can guarantee that you won’t enjoy your trailer if you spend your time thinking that something is about to break. Break the habit of your negative thinking.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
You already have your RV so quit worrying about what might happen and enjoy what you have. BTW, Lippert provides frames for the majority of the RV industry, not just Forest River. Have there been frame problems with some RVs? Yes, but a very small minority.

Over the years I’ve read of frame problems with Cougars, Montanas (Keystone RV), and Sundance (Heartland) fifth wheels. All of these are part of Thor Industries. But again, the problems were a very small number when compared to the thousands of fifth wheels sold every year in the U.S.

Quit looking for the negative and start enjoying your RV. I can guarantee that you won’t enjoy your trailer if you spend your time thinking that something is about to break. Break the habit of your negative thinking.
Well stated. I hate people that look for half empty glasses instead of one's that are half full. Enjoyment can never be had when someone seeks out the negative.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick83 View Post
any of you have any comments on this?
Not sure what are referring to? The cracked frames from Lippert. I doubt it is a wide spread issue. A monumnetal issue for those affected for sure, but I don't think there is cause for panic - but maybe worth taking a look underneath once in a while to see if there is anything to be concerned about.

Seems like your poll results were pretty favorable - only 8% no and the complaint website had 144 items, but how many RV's does FR have out there? Tens of thousands? It would be better in there were 0 complaints, but that has to be a small percentage - less than the 8% negative in your poll.

Several manufacturers use Lippert parts and other parts suppliers that FR uses. While I'm not impressed with anything from Lippert (guessing low price must be their selling point), I don't think FR has any more problems than say Jayco or Heartland on similarly built / priced RV's.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Owned two campers with lippert frames since 2005.
One a fifth wheel and one a tt.

No cracks yet..........
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #7

A doom and gloom attitude profits a man nothing.

Go camping and relax!
Old 12-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Stuck slides (with electric motor drives like mine) have a few solutions and many are easily solved environmental or user caused. Some are mechanical and due to the clutch safety mechanism in the gearbox.

IF YOU CAN HEAR the clacking noise of the gearbox safety clutch:

1) Overloaded - Try taking some stuff out of the slide and see how that works. A slide that won't open (but you can hear a clacking noise) could be too heavy and you are tripping the safety clutch.

2) Stuck inner seal - an open slide that won't close could have a sticky inner seal stuck to the wall. The motor may not have enough torque to break it loose. Slide a plastic cake/pancake spatula around the seal to break it lose.

3) Stuck outer seal - a closed slide that is NOT overloaded but will not open after a cold overnight rain may be frozen to the wall. water can be trapped along the seal and be frozen in place. It can also be stuck there by a dirty seal as well and the spatula trick may free it up.

4) The gearbox can be bound up. If the slide becomes slightly out of adjustment, the slide can become jammed closed. You may need to access the manual extension stub shaft on the gearbox to rock it loose.

Obviously if you press the button and hear nothing, you have an electrical problem ranging from the slide out fuse to a burned up motor.

I have attached Lippert's electrical slide manual.

If you have a NORCO cable type or Hydraulic slide, please disregard.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electric Slideout-Web.pdf (1.47 MB, 48 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #9

You all are all right. I know I do worry a lot about stuff that may and will never happen(been told that many times before) thanks for the brotherly advise-well taken.)Forest river tech has been excellent so far, my dealer missed some info on things and they gave it to me. like the cypher lock use and setting. dealer has been pretty good and is repairing my problems right now. so I really have no major complaints so far. We absolutely love this RV!! It's everything we allways wanted. thanks for all your comments.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick83 View Post
You all are all right. I know I do worry a lot about stuff that may and will never happen(been told that many times before) thanks for the brotherly advise-well taken.)Forest river tech has been excellent so far, my dealer missed some info on things and they gave it to me. like the cypher lock use and setting. dealer has been pretty good and is repairing my problems right now. so I really have no major complaints so far. We absolutely love this RV!! It's everything we allways wanted. thanks for all your comments.
Have fun and worry when there's a need!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #11

Quick must be related to SWMBO. Even when the glass is full, she gets worried that it's gonna be empty sometime in the future!!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #12

Someone much more eloquent than me stated it on this forum before so I will paraphrase.

Things will break on ALL RVs, just view it as part of the adventure of your new hobby and move on. Enjoy the journey and don't dwell on what might break. You bought a nice rig, go have fun.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote