Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor
So how does one know which wire to pull off to wire this gizmo into the system?
No wires to pull off. Just plugs into the existing Run capacitor. The run capacitor already he's the conectors for it. These units were designed for it to be added. My Dometic even had a empty bracket ready for it to mount in.
Oilmaggott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #62

http://www.modmyrv.com/2009/05/27/rv...tart-capacitor

Follow this link. Good pictures and details for the whole mod.
Oilmaggott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by toshu
The generator has started the ac but only with a full battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
Now that sounds even STRANGER! To the best of my knowledge, the entire air conditioning system as 120v AC, and should have nothing to do with the DC (battery) system.
Fire Instructor, that caught my eye also, and was ready to post before I thought about it some. Maybe this is the case: With a charged battery, when you plug up the generator the converter is not going to try to charge the battery. With a low battery, the converter is going to use some amps to charge the battery, so not enough amps are left from the genny to start the AC.

Just wondering.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy
Originally Posted by toshu
The generator has started the ac but only with a full battery.

Fire Instructor, that caught my eye also, and was ready to post before I thought about it some. Maybe this is the case: With a charged battery, when you plug up the generator the converter is not going to try to charge the battery. With a low battery, the converter is going to use some amps to charge the battery, so not enough amps are left from the genny to start the AC.

Just wondering.
That is my assumption as well. Testing at home before the trip went well but after running on the battery for 2 days, when I turned the generator on the ac would not go on even with the can on first.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #65

Aahh... That makes sense! Good catch! So, Oilmaggott, try to turn off the batter charger side of the inverter (on mine it's a breaker switch - the second from the bottom). Then see if the gen will start the MW or AC. Your problem may be a combination of a high wattage MW and a low battery.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #66

Generator

I bought the Honda 6500 and can run three campers on it with no problem. (I needed the 220 power to run my well when power is out.) We only have plug in power about 1 in 20 trips.
Chris.Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #67

The Yamaha and Honda generators talked about on this thread all sound great. especially the sound levels. unfortunately, they are way out of my price range and sound is not much of a concern for me. Has anyone had any luck with the Champion 46515 or similar model? It's running wattage is 3,500 and it has a 30TT recepticle.
ikemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikemeyer View Post
The Yamaha and Honda generators talked about on this thread all sound great. especially the sound levels. unfortunately, they are way out of my price range and sound is not much of a concern for me. Has anyone had any luck with the Champion 46515 or similar model? It's running wattage is 3,500 and it has a 30TT recepticle.
The sound levels may not be important to you, but what about your fellow campers ?? And after running that Champion for an hour or 2, I betcha the sound level becomes a lot more of a concern for you also.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
The sound levels may not be important to you, but what about your fellow campers ?? And after running that Champion for an hour or 2, I betcha the sound level becomes a lot more of a concern for you also.
When we were in Michigan last month for the NASCAR race, we were surrounded by 4 gens. One loud unit was 2 sites away, not sure what make or size it was. The unit behind us looked similiar to a Husqvarna chain saw. Not as quiet as my Honda, but not horrible either. Next to us were 2 noisy gens, one a 5500W Troy Bilt. It was as loud as 1 of their roto tillers . When it was running you couldn't hear mine. Fortunately the weather was OK & the AC wasn't req'd, nobody was running their generators after supper.

If you're not going to be near other campers (hunting or boondocking), go nuts w/ the noisy genny. However be warned that your neighbours won't be happy when you fire up 1 that sounds like a Briggs & Stratton lawn mower.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #70

Quote:
For those with price as a major concern, check out the Boliy 3600SIE. It's an electric start, 3000W inverter model and is considerably lighter in wieght than most other brands. Price less than 1K and pull start model is cheaper.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #71

Quote:

I have had the unfortunate experience of being in a campground (luckily not right next to) a champion generator. Even though it was a cool day in the mountains these people chose to run that thing all day long. Our campsite was about 75 yards away from them and even at that distance it became quite annoying after several hours of listening to it. That day played a big factor into the purchase of my Yamaha.
Titleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #72

I've went as far as letting neighbors with noisy generators use my Honda. Some of them are obnoxious. I run my 6500W built in Generac as little as possible (coffee and Microwave) and use my Honda instead. I know the yamaha's and hondas might be too spendy but if you get a noisy one and are in a public campground, please be considerate to those around you as to how long it runs.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #73

Yeah, we had a camping neighbor with a noisy generator. Can't remember the brand because it wasn't well-known. We had to ask them to stop running it. They would have left it running continuously. Because of that, I decided buying a good name quiet generator (Honda) was the right thing to do.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #74
Site Team - Lou

On most military bases (without hookup sites) their FAMCAMPs have sound level requirements that are strictly enforced (and they are pretty low!). One retiree fired up a noisy generator and within 15 minutes had the Ground Safety and Military Police at his site. While I was not the one who burned him; I have to say I was not sorry when they booted him off the site and directed him to a local campground off base.

It was only later that I found out he told the MPs that he needed to run it all night to power his CPAP machine; a clear violation of quiet hours even with a low noise generator.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #75

Before I bought a Honda, I borrowed a 5000 w not sure what brand. I used more than twice the gas (and 10 times the noise) as the guys next to us with a 3000w honda with the same size camper
Chris.Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #76

i'm very happy w/ my Lifan Equipsource 2600 inverter/generator.
58dB, 63#, the size of a small suit case.

have been running it continuously in Southern Calif 90 degree heat the last two weeks. easily starts and runs the dometic brisk-air 13500 AC.

every now and then i get the low-oil-alert light and the generator shuts down. i then add 4-6oz of 10W30 motor oil, and i'm back in business.

great purchase, i'm very happy w/ the low cost, ease of use, quiet running sound, and the reliability.
avocadoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadoman1 View Post
i'm very happy w/ my Lifan Equipsource 2600 inverter/generator.
58dB, 63#, the size of a small suit case.
I checked out the website. It lists the noise level "from 58 dB"......I would have to presume that is the idle noise level. That is the noise level of many Yamahas and Hondas at full load.

It is strange that I can't find information on the noise level at full load for the Lifan generators......unless the manufacturer has conveniently omitted that.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #78

well, it's a 150cc motor, is an electric start, has an auto-idle feature.
when i fire-up the AC, i need to turn the auto-idle to "off". so it does run at full speed and may well be louder than 58dB.
but as soon as the AC kick-in, i turn the auto-idle to "on" and it runs at about 1/2 speed.
i've owned my share of generators...this is not loud.

that said...it's not a $1200 Honda 2000 which has a much smaller power-head at 98cc. and, it's certainly isn't anywhere near the noise (and weight) of a Champion 3500 either.

i looked at the $2000+ Honda Handi model and could not accept the price.

so, this is what i ended up with. a small, light, quiet (enough for me and others around me), powerful, and (most of all) in-expensive generator.

one can find the 2600 on the internet for $650 + ship + no tax. i like that.
avocadoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post

First of all, I would never run a generator around fellow campers at a campground regardless of sound level. Most of them prohibit it. Perhaps I misunderstood the topic of this thread in your mind, so sue me!

Maybe I should have done a better job at explaining my ask, but I thought I was quite clear. 1) sound is not a concern. 2) not all of us have a $,$$$ tree growing in the back yard. And 3) some of us may be looking for something cost effective while camping elsewhere such as on private property. It was a simple ask. So here it is again!

Does this Champion 46515 or similar models perform as advertised?!?

and goodluck!
ikemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Ike, sorry it would appear that some of us jumped on you about the lower cost gens. By your reply you've got things figured out & know when or when not to run the genny.

I was speaking from experience that some folks blissfully fire up their gen to cook their coffee when the rest of the campground is trying to sleep.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote