Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #21
Scoundrel

Instead of a brick & mortar shop, a mobile RV service from someone who really knew how to trouble-shoot problems and fix various propane, electrical/battery, and plumbing (water heaters), furnaces, etc. would be something I'd pay good money for. Given that dealers are very busy now and may not even work on an RV if you didn't buy it from them, I think that would be worth exploring.

Rich J.
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #22

I would stop if I knew it was there and if I had time. I love to look at my favorite type stores. Usually find something I can't live without.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Instead of a brick & mortar shop, a mobile RV service from someone who really knew how to trouble-shoot problems and fix various propane, electrical/battery, and plumbing (water heaters), furnaces, etc. would be something I'd pay good money for. Given that dealers are very busy now and may not even work on an RV if you didn't buy it from them, I think that would be worth exploring.

Rich J.
There is a growing shortage of mobile techs ~~ at least good ones!

Less overhead and skill ~~ a busy guy and son wash RVs at the CG I snowbird in. They bring a 3rd man on for waxing. $4 per foot to wash roof to tires and $10 for wash/wax. They service 2 CGs and have to turn down some work.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #24

What I really need is an RV accessible wash location. Low pressure water and RV approved soap. Easy in - easy out.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusLwt001 View Post
What I really need is an RV accessible wash location. Low pressure water and RV approved soap. Easy in - easy out.
When 3 guys showed up at my campsite they had a truck with 2 huge water containers~~ one clear the other with soap. Ladder and 2 powerwashers. It took less than 2 hours to wash my 5er. They were doing 5 that day, 1 TT, 2 5ers, and 2 MHs. About $850 gross.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #26

I'm too old to spend the day washing but I do like the traveling tech. I do a little handyman work around the neighborhood. Not lic or cert but I get the job done and cheaply

2018 Rockwood Sig 8329
2017 F-150
rjsabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #27

X2. On Amazon. If I could ever walk into a brick and mortar store, that had Amazon prices, I'd be there. 2nd would be have what I want when I want it. That's the challenge. And would be the struggle for a retail start up.
john5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #28

My $0.02

I second (third?) the Mobile tech business.
RV's and camping are more popular than ever which has caused HUGE delays at dealerships providing service work.

Not to mention the huge used market of new RV'ers that could really use the expertise of someone onsite to help make their vacation fun and not plagued by problems.

I would gladly pay for the help while trying to camp with my family and friends.

Aside from the emergency "GOT TO HAVE IT NOW" type stuff... if I knew a campground had a mobile tech around, I would happily pay for some minor upgrade type work to be done while onsite camping. Installing upgrades like awning lights, or a bluetooth speaker to replace the outside light.... stuff like that.
yourguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #29

Between Amazon, Walmart, Home Depot, and the internet I haven't been in a RV store in years. Last time I was the salesman lied to me hoping I would buy his product that was 3x more expensive as what I wanted.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #30

Here is just a thought regarding Amazon. We are staying in a campground in AZ and I asked if I could have something shipped from Amazon to here. The CG manager said that Amazon is becoming a problem since they sometimes ship via US Postal via UPS. Or they say the product will be shipped UPS and then change up mid stream and the package is handed off to postal. In this CG US Postal does not deliver, you have to go in to a Post Office. They are tired of that so are getting out of package delivery to folks staying here.

Another thought Wal Mart is going head to head with Amazon and they ship to you or to your nearest store.

For your own store might I suggest a pretty full line of sewer accessories. I recently broke the ear off one of my blind caps. I have been to two Camping Worlds and three Wal Marts and cannot find a blind cap. They all have plenty caps with a hose fitting adapter but no blind.

Also reading this forum for now a few years I see a to of post regarding pieces and parts. LP gas regulator problems are pretty common as well as LCD lights. Single packs of LCD lights would be a nice feature since I am finding you have to buy 2+ lights when you only need one.

Good luck on your endeavor.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusLwt001 View Post
What with a LOT of camps putting the Kibosh on wet washing, I suspect that this is a diminishing service as well.

Besides, unless you have FBP, one errant pressure washer squirt will blow those decals loose. Indeed, someone pressure washed a Berk last year and the poor owner now has mildew under his Diamond Kote (OOPS forgot about the no pressure washing instructions for Diamond Kote)

So, what to do? Just get Wash Wax All - we have been using this stuff for over 4 years now and I can do our whole coach in a little over a hour (yes, really!)

This waterless cleaner builds up a polymer coating that makes it really hard for stuff to adhere to (Which is why they use it on Airplanes )

https://washwax.com/
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
What with a LOT of camps putting the Kibosh on wet washing, I suspect that this is a diminishing service as well.

Besides, unless you have FBP, one errant pressure washer squirt will blow those decals loose. Indeed, someone pressure washed a Berk last year and the poor owner now has mildew under his Diamond Kote (OOPS forgot about the no pressure washing instructions for Diamond Kote)

So, what to do? Just get Wash Wax All - we have been using this stuff for over 4 years now and I can do our whole coach in a little over a hour (yes, really!)

This waterless cleaner builds up a polymer coating that makes it really hard for stuff to adhere to (Which is why they use it on Airplanes )

https://washwax.com/

Thanks Bob. I have been using the same kinda stuff called Fast wax-also no water needed. Took me a little over three hours though. I'll check out your recommendation.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #33
Site Team

Wmtire shared a thread I posted some time ago with a similar subject. What I was looking for is quite a but different than your goal. That list request was for a small campground camp store that would stock emergency ( last minute) supplies like paper products, matches and bug spray. The goal was to provide a service not make a living. That being said I have to echo what others have said and suggest you consider a mobile RV service. The major complaints on RV service are.
1. RV sits for weeks or months on the lot awaiting for service
2. Promised date almost always missed.
3. Long drive to dealer
4. Units can get damaged sitting on crowded lots.
5. Techs not qualified to do the job they took on.
If you can set up a business that addresses these five issues, you should do very well. You don't have to start too big or too complex. Even simple services like winterizing and dewinterizing without the hassle of the 5 items above will work. In this area the basic labor rate at a dealer or B&M RV shop is $120. At that rate you can pay a qualified person to winterize and make a reasonable profit. I am always being asked by campers if I can recommend someone to come out and perform some basic service and the answer is there is no one around.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #34

Great idea!

My thoughts -

A wide variety of update and repair products for my camper. Eg, new lights, fixtures, upgrades, types of fans, vents, etc.

Let me buy wire by the foot and nuts and bolts in small quantities. I am constantly at the Ace Hardware near my house because I can walk in and buy 4 5/8" x 2" bolts, nuts and washers. I don't need a whole box, I need 4 of them and thats it. Same for rope, chain, velcro, all sorts of stuff.

There is SO much stuff you could order from China and make a killing on it. You can buy bulk LEDs lights for super cheap and make 10x the price and still beat the pants off the prices most people in the US are selling them for.

Propane. The RV dealer near me sells propane at cost. But you know why I bought my camper from them? Because I was there filling my grill tank and decided to take a look around.

I would strongly suggest that you buy into a Do-it-Best of Ace hardware franchise and add the RV stuff on top. That would give you the benefit of having a source for stuff like plumbing supplies, hardware, and electric stuff, and you could still sell RV stuff.

I am very frequently working on some upgrade or fix to my camper and just wander around the little hardware store in my town like a mad man with different products in my hands and muttering to myself. The clerks know me and know I know where everything is and will ask for help if I need it.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #35
Real Nice Clark

I'm relatively new to the RV/Camper world (1 yr), but here's a business idea...offer a water tank reinforcement service. I've read hundreds of posts debating and complaining about the manufacturers screwing us with cheap and inefficient tank supports. Many of these threads have owners who welded in their own supports with good results, seems like a ready market for the person with the right skill set and entrepreneurial mindset.
mountainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote