Old 09-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #11

I have Al-ko torsion axles on my Rockwood fifth-wheel. My r.f .tire had to be replaced because of wear after 5000 miles. I also replaced the frt. axle assembly because we thought the axle was bent. On my first trip the new axle wheel bearing burned up with only 500 miles on the new axle.

It cost me $900 to get it repaired on road. Alko sent me only $400 - a long way from the $900. The bearing must not have been lubed at the fractory.

The real issue is why are the tires all wearing out on the inside edges. The trailer axles weigh 7000 lbs. when it is connected to the truck. The axles are rated at 3500 each. That means to me that the trailer is overloaded and that is why all the tires are wearing on the inside edges.

I am not carrying any extra weight, just a normal load. The axles are too small for the fifth-wheel.

I am getting a new, different manufacturer, fifth-wheel to get away from unsafe condions and excessive tire wear.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck wheel View Post
I have Alko torsion axles on my Rockwood fifth-wheel. My r.f .tire had to be replaced because of wear after 5000 miles. I also replaced the front. axle assembly because we thought the axle was bent. On my first trip the new axle wheel bearing burned up with only 500 miles on the new axle.

It cost me $900 to get it repaired on road. Alko sent me only $400 - a long way from the $900. The bearing must not have been lubed at the factory.

The real issue is why are the tires all wearing out on the inside edges. The trailer axles weigh 7000 lbs. when it is connected to the truck. The axles are rated at 3500 each. That means to me that the trailer is overloaded and that is why all the tires are wearing on the inside edges.

I am not carrying any extra weight, just a normal load. The axles are too small for the fifth-wheel.

I am getting a new, different manufacturer, fifth-wheel to get away from unsafe conditions and excessive tire wear.
One thing to look at or consider, are your tires balanced? If not unbalanced tires can cause uneven wear and excessive stress on wheel bearings. I am not saying that this is your problem, but something to check into. The other thing you may want to do is have the tracking checked as well, you have the same type of axles I have and I had to replace the front axle due to a bearing failure. One has to make sure that the axle is in the same position on both sides, What I mean is that the axle must be pushed back on both sides tors the rear of the camper before they are are tighten down other wise the axle will ride on an angel. One other thing Call Cris at AL-KO if you can't get any answers, he is a great rep to deal with. I posted his phone number a few threads back. If you call him have the model & serial number of your rig.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #13
2006 Rockwood 8298SS

Thank for all of the input! Great Responses. I believe the suggestion that the wheels are hotter because they are on the slide side. I will check the tire pressures as well.
Thanks, Keith