Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #1

Wheel Temperature

This message was posted on the MSN forum by member Stiff12. Since it is relatively unlikely anyone will see it anytime soon over there , I am copying it here in an effort to generate more responses. Kim

"I have a Rockwood 8298SS with Tandem wheels. The left (street side) side wheels are usually hotter than the curb side wheels after a trip. The curb side will usually be 100 and the street side will be as much as 125. I have had the bearing repacked and the brakes checked --- more than once in an effort to resolve this. I have been told each is working properly and they do not know why one side gets hotter than the other. One dealer place told me as long as the wheels do not get hotter than 250 I should not worry about them. Any suggestions or information would be helpful."

Member Stiff12 (Keith)

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Site Team

While I agree that at those temps there's nothing to worry about especially if both wheels on the street side are running the same. Here's a couple of thoughts on what it could be.

1) The TT could be heavy on that side. I'd suggest getting it weighed on each side.

2) The bearings could be from a different run than the ones on the other side. they could be close to being out of spec but still make it.

3) The drums on the other side could be better at dissipating heat than the ones on the street side.

OK; I know those last two are a stretch but since they've already inspected and repacked them I'm just thinking out of the box.

Seriously, I'd really take a look at the side to side loading. Make sure when you weigh it to have it loaded exactly like you do when your towing it.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
Site Team

That's not too hot and not that much difference.
It would cause me to wonder but if brakes and bearings have been
gone through, it's probably OK.

Next I would look very closely at the tires.
Are they wearing oddly or un-evenly?
Are they all the exact same size and brand and age??
Are they all exactly inflated to the same pressure?
Does this trailer have a water tank on one side that might
make trailer significantly heavier on one side??

That's all I can think of. More importantly what are tire temps????
125 deg F for a wheel/hub after a long drive is not all that hot IMO.

My 2¢
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
How about the simple matter of weight distribution? Take a look at the floor plan at:

http://forestriverinc.com/nd/default...series=8WideTT

The weight of the slide sits squarely over the left side wheels. I would postulate that the wheel assemblies that carry the greater load will run hotter.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
Could the alignment of the axle bracket cause this?

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #6

If your axles are AL-KO you can call Cris @ 574-294-6651, he can give you the answers you are looking for. According to Cris the bearings can reach temp of 180 degrees and this normal. If you had new brake shoes installed the wheels will run hot until they are broke in. New brakes are to be adjusted after 200 mile. The wheel temps will depend on how many times the brakes are applied and for how long. Stop and go traffic, the wheels will stay hot until the brakes are no longer applied and air can cool them down. As far as weight go's, are any TT balanced with the way they are built and with the way they the storage is design to put all of our stuff in? And from what I understand with tandem axles the first axle in front closest to the TV will run hotter then the second axle as a norm because it is doing most of the work.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:35 AM   #7

I'm knew to the TT thing and had a question on the whole temp thing. Why and how would you check the temp. I would never think to do this, and should I?

Brock525
Wildwood 26TBSS
F150 SCrew
Brock525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
Grape Escape

In 35 years of driving never once have I seen or heard of anyone checking wheel temperature. Have seen brakes causing overheating but that;s it.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #9

It doesn't take much to put your hand on each tire/rim assembly when you stop at rest areas, or after a trip. I check mine as a sort of "insurance" if the tire is hot- underinflated. If the rim is hot- wheel bearings need checked; and probably greased/re-packed. Just a good idea to do it. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
Biker trash

I've checked mine a time or two. TT and truck. Range from 90 to 115
Garage full of RC planes
Bella female Boston, Nick male Great Dane Boxer mix.
two girls all grown up.
Wife of 26 years, without her all of the above would be just a dream.
fxstsharleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #11

I have Al-ko torsion axles on my Rockwood fifth-wheel. My r.f .tire had to be replaced because of wear after 5000 miles. I also replaced the frt. axle assembly because we thought the axle was bent. On my first trip the new axle wheel bearing burned up with only 500 miles on the new axle.

It cost me $900 to get it repaired on road. Alko sent me only $400 - a long way from the $900. The bearing must not have been lubed at the fractory.

The real issue is why are the tires all wearing out on the inside edges. The trailer axles weigh 7000 lbs. when it is connected to the truck. The axles are rated at 3500 each. That means to me that the trailer is overloaded and that is why all the tires are wearing on the inside edges.

I am not carrying any extra weight, just a normal load. The axles are too small for the fifth-wheel.

I am getting a new, different manufacturer, fifth-wheel to get away from unsafe condions and excessive tire wear.
Truckwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck wheel View Post
I have Alko torsion axles on my Rockwood fifth-wheel. My r.f .tire had to be replaced because of wear after 5000 miles. I also replaced the front. axle assembly because we thought the axle was bent. On my first trip the new axle wheel bearing burned up with only 500 miles on the new axle.

It cost me $900 to get it repaired on road. Alko sent me only $400 - a long way from the $900. The bearing must not have been lubed at the factory.

The real issue is why are the tires all wearing out on the inside edges. The trailer axles weigh 7000 lbs. when it is connected to the truck. The axles are rated at 3500 each. That means to me that the trailer is overloaded and that is why all the tires are wearing on the inside edges.

I am not carrying any extra weight, just a normal load. The axles are too small for the fifth-wheel.

I am getting a new, different manufacturer, fifth-wheel to get away from unsafe conditions and excessive tire wear.
One thing to look at or consider, are your tires balanced? If not unbalanced tires can cause uneven wear and excessive stress on wheel bearings. I am not saying that this is your problem, but something to check into. The other thing you may want to do is have the tracking checked as well, you have the same type of axles I have and I had to replace the front axle due to a bearing failure. One has to make sure that the axle is in the same position on both sides, What I mean is that the axle must be pushed back on both sides tors the rear of the camper before they are are tighten down other wise the axle will ride on an angel. One other thing Call Cris at AL-KO if you can't get any answers, he is a great rep to deal with. I posted his phone number a few threads back. If you call him have the model & serial number of your rig.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #13
2006 Rockwood 8298SS

Thank for all of the input! Great Responses. I believe the suggestion that the wheels are hotter because they are on the slide side. I will check the tire pressures as well.
Thanks, Keith
Stiff12 is offline   Reply With Quote