Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
bmg

Question Wheel torque

Just finished putting a new set of Goodyears on our Surveyor 264. Went with the Marathon ST again. Used the Trailer Aid ramp and it worked great. That way there was no worry about jacking and harming the axle or frame. Was able to take 2 at a time to the tire store and have them mounted and balanced. Went with 45psi and heavy duty stems, since we sometimes get up to 70mph.

These are 14 inch wheels and I don't know the torque setting for the lug nuts. Any ideas?
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
camping

some info here:
http://www.al-kousa.com/pdf/alkobrochure.pdf

see page 24 to start- hope it helps

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg View Post
Just finished putting a new set of Goodyears on our Surveyor 264. Went with the Marathon ST again. Used the Trailer Aid ramp and it worked great. That way there was no worry about jacking and harming the axle or frame. Was able to take 2 at a time to the tire store and have them mounted and balanced. Went with 45psi and heavy duty stems, since we sometimes get up to 70mph.

These are 14 inch wheels and I don't know the torque setting for the lug nuts. Any ideas?
Are you sure about the 45psi ?

I am under the impression you should raise it by no more than 10psi - from 50psi, or 60psi, if one travels faster than 65mph.

See the doc from Goodyear below:

March 27, 2006
SUBJECT: Marathon Special Trailer Applications - General Information
Goodyear Marathon tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and branded
as “ST” (Special Trailer) tires.
This information is designed to help you obtain the best performance from tires with the ST (Special Trailer)
designation. Please review the following important points with your Goodyear Marathon customers.
· Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed restricted to 65 MPH under normal
inflation and load conditions unless a different speed restriction is indicated on the sidewall of the tire.
· Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is
necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the load.

o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.
o If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the
maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph.
o The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the
maximum load of the tire.
· Drivers should always obey posted speed limits and reduce speeds when necessary based on vehicle, road,
weather or traffic conditions.
· Trailers tires should be operated at inflation pressures that are specified by the trailer manufacturer. The trailer
manufacturer’s inflation information can usually be found in the owner’s manual, tire information placard or
vehicle certification label, usually located on the forward left side of the trailer.
· Cold inflation pressures should be checked every morning during trips and monthly while in storage.
· Vehicles or trailers should not be overloaded. The tire information placard, vehicle certification labels or
owner’s manual should be checked for the maximum recommended load.
Vehicle speed, load and inflation pressures, all of which are within control of the driver, are critical factors for the
safe and enjoyable operation of any vehicle.
Important tire care information and the load / inflation tables are available on Goodyear’s Recreational Vehicle web
site at Goodyear RV Tires.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
bmg

Denis, that's what I did. The recommended psi is 35 and I increased it 10 psi to 45 psi in order to account for greater than 65mph. Here's 2 links to Goodyear. My size is ST205/75R14

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf
Old 05-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #5

I see where Denis is coming from, however look at the tire loads on your PDF chart, the recommended 35 PSI is rather light. I think I would be at minimum 50 PSI pulling a trailer, lower than that encourages soft sidewalls and that leads to sway. Just my opinion.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

It is important to remember the wheel PSI limit as well as the tire. The rims should be stamped somewhere with the maximum PSI rating.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #7

I have the same size on my Shamrock 19 - and lighter than your Surveyor- with aluminum wheels and the label on the trailer specifies 50psi. What does FR recommend ?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
bmg

Ok, checked the recommended FR psi posted on the 264 and it was 35psi the same as Goodyear recommends for 65mph and under. Goodyear says to add 10psi if the speed greater than 65. The max rating for the tire is 50psi. A tech at CW said they would inflate this tire to 45psi or 5psi under the max.

So it looks like 45 is the magic number. Also torqued the lugs at 90 per the axle manufacturer specs. Anyways were leaving for the beach next weekend and the weather forecast looks great.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:26 AM   #9

That is 90 foot pounds correct?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese53073 View Post
That is 90 foot pounds correct?

Yep, thanks for checking.