Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #21

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Sidewall says 65 and tires ran underinflated and ran hot. Only 1 failed??? So far!
I agree. Tires should be inflated to full pressure as indicated on the tire. Your ST tires are rated at 65 MPH.
You cn get aluminum sheets at Home Depot. Easy to cut with a straight edge clamped to it and a box cutter using several strokes.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #22

68 MPH with under-inflated tires. No further comment.

I just blew one of those tires yesterday which was a 16 inch E Rated tire and inflated to 80 lbs. which was the maximum according to the sidewalls. I checked the air in the tires and inspected them before each trip of any length and I never drive over 60 MPH. They are just garbage and there should be a law against their use. I was very fortunate that a minimal amount of damage was done and can be fixed with a couple of screws.

I hope I did the right thing and replaced them with 4 Goodyear Endurance Tires which at least are made in the U.S. Time will tell. I only got about 8,000 miles on the original tires. I didn't have much choice as I was 2000 miles from home halfway through an extended trip and didn't want to gamble on the 3 remaining tires.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #23

Tires are rares for 75mph on the side wall for all you debbie downers. I understand they were under inflated. After further.inspection of the tire i hit somethimg and it was punctured. Steel belts are pushed in at the hole.

I was only asking for support amd ideas to fix my issue.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1499609563700.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	144118
txmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #24

I put galvanized steel under both wheel wells. 18 ga 10' by 12". Got it at a place that made sheet metal ductwork. They cut and bent it to order and both pieces were less than $50. Used stainless screws closely spaced and covered each with a dollop of lexel to keep it water tight. Never had a blow out and I have no idea if this will even work but it has to be better than the plastic trash bag like material that was there before.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #25

Wheel well damage

When a tire on our 5th wheel blew, it damaged the floor pretty badly. Came up under the cabinet by our oven. I put a board on the damaged area and used my tire jack to push down on it. Bought the expandable insulation foam and filled the hole from the tire side. Trimmed of the excess and then put a thin coat of body filler over it. Sanded it down and took a piece of formica cut to size and used contact cement to glue it in place. Caulked all the edges and then sprayed with automotive undercoating. Better than new.
spkrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If you have the tools, buy a dual fender from Northern Tool and rework it to fit and then caulk all the edges.
Could you post a picture of what it looks like installed
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #27

Why on earth would anyone drive 75 MPH pulling a travel trailer. All it takes is a strong wind and a little fish tail and it's all over. (The highway that is). These things are for relaxation and ease of mind not for road racing and playing chicken with semis. As to the under-inflation of the tires you should not minimize that. It was a big deal and probably part of the cause of the blowout. Low pressure combined with high speed creates heat and heat kills tires. Suggest you take an extra day to travel and slow down. Today I had quite a few trailer pass me going like hell in the passing lane passing everything on the road. In the 200+ miles on Interstate 44 in Missouri three of them where on the side of the road. Not sure if it was the same one's but I would bet on it. Two had blown tires.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #28

2018 trailer...Nitrogen filled tires...the little green caps from the Dealer..."OK / NOT OK". On day one...backed trailer into driveway...unhooked....THREW THE LITTLE GREEN "OK/NOT OK" CAPS AWAY !! Specs say...65psi...the trailer doesn't leave the driveway without 65psi. Period ! Last trailer made it 10 years, two sets of tires...Zero blowouts. No TPS system ever. Don't have a lot of confidence in these new factory tires. From the post I've seen...most times the TPS tells you when your tire exploded.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #29

I couldn't count the number of times I've been passed on I-80, doing 75mph...no trailer...and get passed by travel trailers, 5er's...all doing 80 or better. Towing...I run between 65 and 70.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #30

Hope those that speed never receive the lesson why they should not. If they do, with luck it will be an expensive lesson and not a deadly one.
Once pulling a TT doing 65 with a truck capable of pulling 3 times the weight a wind gust caught the trailer. That started the sway and I was all over the interstate. Once it started it only got worse for some distance. Swore off hauling a single axle trailer forever and still added the 2nd sway bar for the return trip and for sale sign. A blowout could cause the same situation. Single axle trailers are for the brave as most are pulled with small vehicles.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmike View Post
Tires are rares for 75mph on the side wall for all you debbie downers. I understand they were under inflated. After further.inspection of the tire i hit somethimg and it was punctured. Steel belts are pushed in at the hole.

I was only asking for support amd ideas to fix my issue.
Attachment 144118
I understand that your question was for a fix. Alas anyone may respond without helping. I just have to ask about the definition of "for all you debbie downers." lol...

Did I miss something that was posted here?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #32

For petes sake the poor guy was asking for help on fixing a wheel well.....Don't see why all the need to kick the poor guy while hes down. shaking my head
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I understand that your question was for a fix. Alas anyone may respond without helping. I just have to ask about the definition of "for all you debbie downers." lol...

Did I miss something that was posted here?
Look here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3f...1WhJz2sRZvd-zg
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #34

I made a so called temporary fix with duct tape. It is holding up well a year later... same kind of damage.
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #35

Thanks all. I have since put more air in all my tires when i got home that day. I will be replacing the two tires from that side now and the other two in a couple months. Cant afford to do all 4 at once but will likely not go anywhere im between. I was only doing about 68 because my foort got a little heavy, normally run 65.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #36

I guarantee i know the consequences of trailer sway. It killed my uncle a year ago out in west tx. Rolled the truck a d trailer at least once.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:04 PM   #37

So just to update this. I replaced all 4 tires.om the ground with goodyear endurance tires. Got a smoking deal at discount tire. Went up to load range E. Hope they tow well. The side walls are super stiff compared to other E rated tires. Will let yall know thoughts later........
Old 08-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #38
Truck System Technologies Rep

TST

Did you have a TST TPMS?

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST Sales Manager
210-420-0132

Quote:
So just to update this. I replaced all 4 tires.om the ground with goodyear endurance tires. Got a smoking deal at discount tire. Went up to load range E. Hope they tow well. The side walls are super stiff compared to other E rated tires. Will let yall know thoughts later........
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:18 PM   #39

No tpms. Not in the budget. I do have tire guages and have added to my pre departure check list checling tire pressure. I used to do it before we left the house but now will do it both sides of the trip.

I know, i know, folks swear its a saver but 400 not in the budget witj 500 in new tires and needs for other things around the house
Old 08-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #40

Quote:
No tpms. Not in the budget. I do have tire guages and have added to my pre departure check list checling tire pressure. I used to do it before we left the house but now will do it both sides of the trip.

I know, i know, folks swear its a saver but 400 not in the budget witj 500 in new tires and needs for other things around the house
Not sure where you are looking at $400!! Call TST ~~ the factory. Much less and a 3 year warranty.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, tire, wheel