Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2019, 02:29 AM   #1

Where is the anti siphon valve for black tank

Help needed to find Black Tank Rinse leak and anti-siphon valve
Im in the same boat (no pun intended) evidently as many others, SO, maybe some one can help find my anti siphon valve on a 2019 GeoPro G19FD.

I emailed the factory and the dealer:

I was rinsing my black water tank last weekend, and after the third 3 minute rinse, I was leaving the dump site, and noticed water dripping from the bottom rear left corner of the trailer. The batting and insulation did not appear wet anywhere, it seems the water was traveling along the 2" black metal angle iron under the perimeter of the frame, and dripping a small stream from the lowest point, by the rear corner. When I pulled out about 50', and the trailer was more level, it was then only dripping from the same angle iron on the opposite side of the trailer by above the wheel well. Good news is, I found no wet areas inside the trailer, I looked under the sink in the bathroom, under the kitchen sink, and under the bathtub (opened the small 8"x 6" inspection plate), and see no wet areas. I have not looked behind the panel in the small flip door compartment under the stove, nor behind the refrigerator. (I think the black tank rinse line runs back further behind the stove area anyway). Theres maybe something under the bathtub in the front upper corner that looks like a black 1/2" PEX tube, but there no way to reach it or trace it down.

I think I can replace the anti siphon valve if I could find where it is, AND IF I have enough access to get tools in to change it. I have bought a replacement valve (WATTS LF288A Anti-Siphon Vacuum Breaker, 1/2 in.), and connectors (2 SharkBite U120LFA Straight Connector Plumbing, Male 1/2 in, MNPT, PEX Fittings, Push-to-Connect, Copper, CPVC, 0.5 x 0.5 Inch), and tool ( Sharkbite Push Fit Safe Seal Tool to properly de-bur the PEX tubing).

Ultimately, I cant find the valve to even see if its defective. If I do find out where it is, and its impossible to reach, I may have to invoke a warranty repair, Im at the end of my first year, by a few weeks left.

As a side note, I dont have a pressure regulator on my rinse inlet, Im still thinking from what Ive read that an open line should not need one, nor would you want to restrict the flow to get the max benefit of spray in the black tank, but if I find out I had a line fail, I may reconsider. Just finding the culprit may be challenging.

I’ve already looked under the bathroom sink and the kitchen sink , under the bathtub looks negative too, anyone with a GeoPro or any ideas would be appreciated.
Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:41 AM   #2
"On the road again"

On our previous fifth wheel the factory had installed the anti-siphon valve for the black tank rinse backward, so consequently ZERO water was able to get to the black tank. We returned it to the dealer and they discovered the problem but said the valve was behind the shower wall so they had to remove the shower completely...reverse the valve then put everything back together.

I don't know if that's a typical installation point, but at least it may be a start.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:26 AM   #3

Mine is inside the closet right inside of where you hook the hose, not the same camper, but yours may be in a similar place. Mine failed the first time out and replaced it with brass. While I was at it, I replaced every plastic fitting with brass.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:41 AM   #4

Mine was directly behind where the hose connection is , there was a false wall in the cabinet that I removed,
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:26 AM   #5

I believe mine is under the bathroom sink.
It takes a bit of contortion to see it, like you I had a flood when I used my black flush.
I just haven't gone back to check it yet.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #6

Mine is directly behind the shower valve. The cutout exposing the backflow is covered by a mirror in the bedroom secured by velcro.
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #7

Mine is behind the shower wall. There is an access panel. Sometimes it’s in a closet. It’s always mounted higher than the toilet.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #8

Finally Found the Anti siphon valve in Geo Pro G19FD

Well, I found the anti siphon valve today. It was behind the outside shower compartment, tucked tight on the right upper area and under the kitchen sink back wall. Impossible to see from the front interior drawer side. I think there will be enough access to get the valve changed from the outside, but its a small opening (~12"x 6") to be able to reach thru, found it after I took off the outside shower box. Bad news is that I really dont see any signs that water may have originated from the valve, however clear city water may or may not have left a stain. I'll replace it next month, and see if I see any more leaks again... possibly another hose may be leaking buried behind the stove or bathtub/shower, Im thinking if the anti siphon valve did get stuck closed, it may have forced water from behind the inlet?? hoping not. ;-(

Im going to try and use an anti siphon attachment (Mueller/B & K 108-904RP Backflow Preventer-Vacuum Breaker) on my hose end to insure if it does get blocked again, it may release pressure outside at the connection, instead of forcing it from a weak hose, I'll test it... I also am going to use a water meter dedicated only for my black water flush hose end, I have used also it on my fresh water, it seems to befairly accurate. only about $16. on Amazon, and will give me peace of mind about how much water gets put in. Ive used it before and seems ok: P3 P0550 Water Meter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5826.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	212997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anti siphon on Geopro.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	212998  
Old 08-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #9

The root cause might turnout to be a plugged sprayer.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
The root cause might turnout to be a plugged sprayer.
That’s a possibility. My blank tank flush quit filling and when I removed the fitting from the black tank I found numerous tiny pieces of plastic blocking the spray holes. Simultaneously I found the seepage from the B&B vacuum valve. Cleaned the outlet and got rid of the valve. All is good now.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:44 PM   #11

Black Tank Sprayer nozzles

Good to know, I can pull the sprayer and check, good idea. I will go look tomorrow if I can access the sprayer on the black tank wash out.

Do you recall how hard it was to remove and reinstall the nozzle outlet ?

Any advice? I always wondered what the sprayer looked like inside... even wonder if a theres "a better mouse trap" and improve on the factory nozzle holes, inside, such as drill the holes a bit larger, or something...as long as its out. I dont even know if its at the right end of the tank (ie by the drain or opposite end), so I'll find out when I crawl under, and noodle it out! Thanks!!

;-)
Old 08-20-2019, 09:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treybecky View Post
Good to know, I can pull the sprayer and check, good idea. I will go look tomorrow if I can access the sprayer on the black tank wash out.

Do you recall how hard it was to remove and reinstall the nozzle outlet ?

Any advice? I always wondered what the sprayer looked like inside... even wonder if a theres "a better mouse trap" and improve on the factory nozzle holes, inside, such as drill the holes a bit larger, or something...as long as its out. I dont even know if its at the right end of the tank (ie by the drain or opposite end), so I'll find out when I crawl under, and noodle it out! Thanks!!

;-)
I’m sure removal difficulty is wildly different on various units. Mine is located directly below where the vacuum break valve is installed and can be accessed by removing the upper shroud in an exterior storage compartment. The part is held in with three square head screws. FR uses a rubberized gasket which can get a little sticky to get off. I cut out a new rubber gasket...easy job.

Once you get the part out you can unscrew it from the pex fitting (use Teflon tape when reinstalling).

Do some checking first. I noticed the severely reduced water flow from three gallons per minute to about .2. Couldn’t see the problem so I pressurized the line with 70 psi of compressed air. Then, I could hear the air hissing sound while looking into the black tank. That told me which end of the system to start at to find the blockage. It was plastic shrapnel. Don’t have a clue how it got there but suspect the vacuum valve disintegrating because it was wet.

Here’s a picture of the now unblocked fitting being tested.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:23 AM   #13

Find the leak first

Methinks you should find out where the leak actually is before tearing things off and replacing them. You're gonna end up replacing a bunch of things and never fix the leak and by then your warranty will be expired. At least make a warranty claim with your dealer and make sure it's documented as being reported before the warranty was expired.
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:13 AM   #14

Finding Black tank Rinse leak

True, thanks...

My gut tells me its the anti siphon valve, reading all the history here, and if I at least swap that out, its relatively doable, and no too expensive, I will narrow the options of whats wrong. Im not tearing into any walls where I cant reach without opting for a warranty claim, that's for sure. The tank sprayer nozzle may not be as easy, but Im game to try and see if I can tackle that too.

And yes, I opened a claim that they agreed to leave open a while, at my purchased dealership in Santa Rosa RV, they are very helpful and cooperative. He called his rep at FR already and told them that I may not bring it for 2 months, and the warranty will be well over, tho he said they could fix it with the documentation given yesterday. I also told the main FR warranty manager, Ive worked with in the past year on other items, in an email at FR. He has really been a superlative, helpful, prompt, a detailed asset, and very helpful in the past. I must say I feel lucky compared to most posts, FR has been great, and the service guy at Santa Rosa RV today was unexpectedly super nice to work with also. Hope my luck holds up !
Old 08-21-2019, 01:20 AM   #15

That rare photo is worth a thousand words, I have wondered what my sprayer looks like in action, and wonder if it even does a satisfactory job. Hopefully mine is on the opposite end of the exit, but I recall looking and not seeing it on that opposite end (ie "pushing" towards the exit), I'll look tomorrow... and am hopeful I can compare it to what I find. Thanks a bunch !!

Tags
black, black tank, tank, valve