Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #21
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I have the 3100 and it runs my A/C just fine. I usually change the Refrigerator and Hot Water to gas and turn off the hot water elec switch. We watch the LED tv and use as many of our LED lights as we want. The items that cannot run at same time are AC plus hairdryer or elec coffee pot. We usually just kill the AC a few minutes then turn it back on when the coffee and hair are done.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:54 PM   #22

I will update upon my first rv use of the new champion get I bought. I got the dual fuel (gas and propane). Once I figure out the hose setup for propane I am supposed to be able to run it off the quick connect on the trailer. I bought the 100623 model with is a 3100 rated 3400 surge on gas. Little lower on propane
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #23

In the same boat here, probably going to buy the newer champion rated at 3400 with the remote start and dual fuel setup. Really want the 2 red ones but would rather spend the extra 1k elsewhere. I usually bring my noise maker 6k briggs where we dry camp but had a neighbor complain a few weeks ago at about midnight it was really loud....he literally put his tent right next to the thing. I told him to get off is air mattress and sleep on the happy jack in my garage with the ac cranking and forget about it! Whatever I was tired of pushing that monster up the ramp anyways
Blktegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #24

I was not able to get remote start and dual fuel. It was either remote start or dual fuel, but not both
Old 06-12-2016, 08:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchd View Post
I will update upon my first rv use of the new champion get I bought. I got the dual fuel (gas and propane). Once I figure out the hose setup for propane I am supposed to be able to run it off the quick connect on the trailer. I bought the 100623 model with is a 3100 rated 3400 surge on gas. Little lower on propane
I do not believe you will be able to safely run your dual fuel Champion from your RV quick connect. The Champion regulator is designed to kill the propane feed should the generator stall or quit. That regulator expects a high pressure feed but your RVs quick connect provides a low pressure feed that comes from the line that is after your RVs regulator. Basically, two regulators in series will yield too low a pressure to safely run the Champion. In the barbeque on the quick connect scenario we just eliminate the bbq regulator. You should not eliminate the Champion regulator as it is part of the safety design required to provide dual fuel.

Your best choices are to carry a separate tank for the inverter or run your RV off a single tank and disconnect/dedicate tank 2 to the inverter.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
Old 06-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #26

The regulator on the champion setup is before the diaphragm so this isn't a problem if you are concerned. Just unscrew the regulator from the safety shutoff and screw in your line.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #27

Here's the regulator/ line setup

Unless I'm thinking wrong the regulator is right after the bottle connection. Then comes the safety which operates on vacuum from the engine to open the valve to allow propane to make it to the engine.

Didn't really think about this till you said something. I separated the regulator from the safety and it is 1/8 pipe. May use some quick connect so I can switch between trailer and a bottle
Old 06-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Here's the regulator/ line setup

Unless I'm thinking wrong the regulator is right after the bottle connection. Then comes the safety which operates on vacuum from the engine to open the valve to allow propane to make it to the engine.

Didn't really think about this till you said something. I separated the regulator from the safety and it is 1/8 pipe. May use some quick connect so I can switch between trailer and a bottle
That should work. I see now that the Champion can operate on low pressure (I was wrong)
Old 06-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
That should work. I see now that the Champion can operate on low pressure (I was wrong)
It's OK. I am glad you said something. I didn't think about the safety

Thanks
Old 06-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #30

Quote:
I was not able to get remote start and dual fuel. It was either remote start or dual fuel, but not both

Ah maybe I was reading the description wrong. I didn't really plan on running off propane just liked the idea of it in case I ran out of gas
Blktegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #31

I was able to answer my own question. I bought the Champion 3100, paid $784 on sale at Home Depot.

Last night I finally got a chance to try it out. Hooked it up to my camper and was able to run the AC and the TV, didn't try anything else, cause well, that's all I need. lol It was a cool day here so the AC didn't have to work too hard, but I turned it down to 62 and let it run a few cycles. Generator seemed to power it well with no overload or bogging down. Looks like I made a good purchase, thanks for all the feedback!!

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #32
AMG

Good. I can bet if you turned on your microwave and/or your electric water heater you would overload the 30a and pop the breaker. So just balance out what you need... enjoy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2016, 04:07 PM   #33

I have the trailer home and loading up for a dual sport ride this weekend. Ran the generator off propane for 2 hours for a good test. Went right off the low pressure quick connect. Turned the ac on and the hen went off economy for a few seconds then right back to economy. Ran great for an hour. So I decided to test the generator. Turn the batter charger on and a little surge of the gen. Then I turn the fridge on and it came off economy and stayed there. As long as I don't run the microwave or the water heater on electric it Will run great. To me it is dumb to use alot propane to run the gen to run the fridge on electric and same with the water heater. But this was just to test the gen. It will mainly be used for ac this weekend as I'll be in the middle of a field with no shade

Old 06-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #34

Champion Dual Fuel to RV Onboard Propane

Click here CHAMPION 3400 DUAL to RV.pdf

Clutch, thanks for providing the pictures and testing. I took you info and built the attached PDF so anyone looking to do the same can just download and keep for reference. If you have part numbers or sources for the quick connects you used, I'm glad to modify and repost the PDF with that info.

Bill
Old 06-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #35

PDF isn't working for me. The quick connects were from cammco off of Amazon. The brass fittings were from Parker. We do alot of business with them at work so I just went there. Worked great this weekend. Ran it 3 hours Friday night with a/c and a few on Sunday. 95 degrees and a/c did great. Was able to start the a/c on economy and it continued on economy

Tags
dometic, generator