Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #1

Who has a 15K Dometic A\C and Champion 3100 Generator?

I bought the smaller 2000 Watt Champion generator figuring here in the Northeast I wouldn't need to worry about having a big enough generator to run my A/C. Well after this weekend I've changed my mind and returned the 2000 watt this morning. I want to pull the trigger on the Champion 3100, but it seems like it's right on the verge of being able to power my 15K Dometic A/C (Dometic recommends 3500). I've read reviews of people saying they do power their 15K A/C with the 3100. Anyone have a newer Dometic A/C that is powering it with a 3100??

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #2

I do... yes, it works, but it's just enough. Meaning, I did overload mine a few times when I was out at a BBQ cook off a few weeks ago. I ran it non-stop from around 4pm on Friday to around 10am on Sunday. Maybe had issues 3 to 4 times. I think one was with a microwave, one is I tried to add an ext to my power cord to move the generator back a bit and the others were due to me trying to run in econo mode, but it wasn't wanting to keep up. If I ran out of gas I would need to go turn off the AC when plugging in the camper or it would overload. I guess with so many thing trying to come on at once was just too much for it.

Now, the AC was on non-stop and we would use lights, watch TV, plug in phone chargers, plug in fans and etc without thinking twice. The outside kitchen fridge was on but kept the inside fridge on gas if I remember correctly. So basically is was business as normal except the microwave.

Would I return it if I could... hmmm, not sure. Probably if I could get another inverter that was this quite, small and light and had more power. I don't think there is such an animal so I'm going to stick with what I've got. Its small and light enough for me to load into the rear garage on my Rockwood by myself and it really quite compared to my old regular style generator.

The guy next to me had a 9000 Honda that looked like the AC unit on the side of my house! He said he could power anything and everything... I was like I bet, but for the price I could buy a dozen of mine, plus I don't need a trailer to haul it around on.
beerbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback beerbuggy, I guess I'll pull the trigger on the 3100. Wish these BBQ comps would give us 30 amp hook ups. lol

No camper, currently
Old 06-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #4

also remember if at a higher altitude the power will be less from the gen.
I have 2, 2K gen that I parallel, works great.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
also remember if at a higher altitude the power will be less from the gen.
I have 2, 2K gen that I parallel, works great.
That was my other option, buy another 2K and the parallel kit. That would have been an additional $600+, buying the 3100 was only $250 more than the 2K that I returned.

No camper, currently
Old 06-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Champion just came out with a 3400w inverter gen.
Take a look at that.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
That was my other option, buy another 2K and the parallel kit. That would have been an additional $600+, buying the 3100 was only $250 more than the 2K that I returned.
I would spend the extra 350 and get the parallel 2K. I have the Yamaha 2ks love them, I told my father to do the same. he bought the Champion 3100 and it kept overloading with the AC and anything else running. He ended up returning it and buying 2-2ks.

The versatility of 2ks is nice, use one to run everyday stuff and when you want the ac throw the other one down and hook it up you are good to go. Just my 2 cents.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
Thanks for the feedback beerbuggy, I guess I'll pull the trigger on the 3100. Wish these BBQ comps would give us 30 amp hook ups. lol
I got mine at Costco and it was 200.00 cheaper than anywhere else. They have there own special model number. Everything is the exact same except for two things... theirs has a bit more black and a 12v outlet to charge your phone.

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #9

Ditto to what beer buggy said. I've got the same setup. Works fine until you turn on microwave.When you need microwave just turn ac to fan and return back to ac after done.
Grisham91402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #10
AMG

I had a really nice 8000/7000 generator w electric start n all that was way overkill. Problem was that the RV hookup was still a 30A plug. So In the event I ran my AC and tons of other stuff. I flipped the breaker on the generators 30A output. I don't see how I could have avoided it. No matter what, u can't run everything. The water heater, the converter to charge batteries, lights inside, stereo, microwave, AC etc all on 30a.

I recommend gas heater too.

Course my new trailer has the Onan but still I bet the same thing applies...
Old 06-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #11

Good point. 30amps is 30amps. Even this weekend on shore power I tripped a breaker using the outdoor microwave while having the Ac, water heater and fridge on electric.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #12
AMG

The water heater is a big power sucker at like 13a. All for something that a little bit of propane does so well. I just use that. When your batteries r low and the converter kicks in I think FR told me it was like 10a if I remember correctly. So ya it all adds up just pick what is important.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #13

cool thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like the 3100 will do what I need it to. I don't expect to run the AC and everything else at the same time.

No camper, currently
Old 06-02-2016, 05:58 AM   #14

Is the 3100 quiet? Reading numbers is one thing, but first hand experience is another.
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:46 AM   #15

If you go back to Generator School 101...you will note that volts x amps= watts. That number shouldn't exceed the rated output (in watts) of the generator. Rated output is the amount that the genset can sustainably produce. Max output is the amount that the genset can deliver for a short period and deals with starting current (aka power factor). That is how marketing departments usually derive their model numbers for the generator is max output.
On electric motors, especially starting under load you can just about bet that pwr factor will be 1 1/2X, even though momentarily. The bigger the electric motor or starting load( like a pump) the greater the power factor will be. You are probably not going to be into the 2 or 3 range in power factors in your application, that would be in air compressors or such.
ie. I have a 13.5K Btu AC and my Honda 3000i Handi will do it. but, I can't tell by the way the genset sounds that it is giving it's all. Crunch your numbers 120V x (x) amps= W, W X 1.5= starting wattage. This calculation, should give you a better idea if your prospective generator is going to do or die. You will be able to tell by the way the AC starts on the generator vs. the shore power( it will take longer) you may see an overload indicator on the genset or pop the breaker. I will tell you repeated popping of any breaker is not cool and over repeated situations will compoimise the the breaker's ability to control overload
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchd View Post
Is the 3100 quiet? Reading numbers is one thing, but first hand experience is another.
Its not a Honda, but its really quite compared to my old General I had. My neighbor and I both bought new generators a day apart from each other. He got the General regular style generator (actually the exact same as my old unit) and I bought the General inverter 3100. He didn't know I bought one and invited me over to look at his new toy. He started it up and was saying how quite it was for a generator (and yes, they aren't bad compared to some Ive heard in the past like those old Briggs models). I said well come look at my new toy... started mine up and he was like ummm maybe mine is not as quite as I thought it was. Haha

If you aren't using it for the AC you will be fine using it on econo mode and that really makes a difference on how loud it is. And it will run just the AC on econo mode, but when you start adding stuff it seemed to be a little too much stress on it and I would kick it on over to regular mode.

I'm happy with the purchase. I think I paid 700 at Costco and the Honda is almost double that if I remember. The only time I really use mine is for BBQ cook-offs and it really doesn't help sometimes when it seems like everyone around me has one of those farm model 10yr old B&S monster just a clattering and raising cain! I try to get by myself most of the time, but sometimes you just have to deal with it!
Old 06-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #17
AMG

When I had a TT I didn't have a generator integrated. That was when I bought a harbor freight predator 4000/3000 and it powered the trailer with AC (13.5) and such. It was still a 30A main so I did occasionally blow the breaker on that generator. I the upgraded to the 8000/7000 Westinghouse with electric starter. As I said, it would have the same issue cuz 30A. Both were loud. I didn't care because I used it either in the desert or at the race track. At the track most others have real loud generators so no reason to have a quiet one. Pointless when the others r all purring all day. In the desert I'd put it far from the trailer.

I will say I have heard those little quiet ryobis in person and they are indeed really quiet. If you ever expect to use a generator at a camp ground (not all have hookups u know) you probably need one of those inverter style quiet ones. Check the DB ratings on them though.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #18

Y'all forget generators are like your TV... running them at their max like a 3100w is not good for them... I was told by an electrical engineer that they are made to run long periods of time at 50% load.... running at 80-100% of the rating causes permature failure and they drink gas like crazy. Also the manufacturer's rating for noise is done at 50% load so it will be much louder at higher loads.
chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #19
AMG

I can speak to the generator using tons more gas if near max. When I ran my 4000 near max it guzzled gas, but running my 8000 at 1/2'ish it used less gas. Running at the same load as the 4000. Different brands I guess too, but it wasnt working hard at all to do what the smaller generator was doing.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #20

My 3100 General inverter will run on high loaded for around 6 hours or so. It only holds 1.4 gallons of gas I believe. I'm not sure, but that seems pretty good to me!

Tags
dometic, generator