Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to stevo
Why do they do this?

We have a Windjammer 2609w TT.
Its 2 years old,we have camped around 50 nights and are "light" users of our TT!
After every trip I find I have a long list list of repairs and adjustments!
Most of these are due to poor assembly,underated components and fasteners.
I wont list the fixes I have done over the last two years as most of you have probably done these or had your dealer deal with them.
Today I removed the brake drums to have them "trued up"because they are shuddering badly.Found the rear belly cover had sheared the small metal screws that held it up,leaving it flapping in the breeze!
While walking around the rear noticed the number plate brackets were cracked and about to shear off.
Pulled up one of the slide out shades and the string snapped....have now repaired it with more robust cord.
Dont get me wrong we love our Rockwood to bits however the experience of continual repairs and replacements is wearing me down!
It would only cost a few dollars to make the product a much better ownership experience.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Lottery Non-Winner

I think a lot of things break and materials are flimsy because they are made to be as light weight as possible. This lends to breakage due to fragility. Also, campers (all sorts) are packed with features and abilities. So much in such a little space. They would be prohibitively expensive and heavy if they were made with robust components. To cut weight and to cut costs, the manufacturers use "cheap" parts. I could be wrong. But I've been an observer of it for nearly 40 years. Since childhood, I have expected that RVing means having to get things fixed.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We owned our flagstaff ultra light for 6 years the most expensive part I had to replace was the converter at age 5.
I very very seldom had to tinker with anything. Fit and finish in a few areas was not up to par but I feel that I really never had to fix things all the time.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #4

[QUOTE=stevo;129586]Found the rear belly cover had sheared the small metal screws that held it up,leaving it flapping in the breeze!
[/QUOTE

oh the memories...on my second trip. noticed underbelly flapping in the breeze. screws were still there, the metal tore. put it back up with finer washers. still haven't solved where the rear underbelly attaches to the plastic bumper. thought i had it with spring clip nuts but it just prolonged the agony.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #5

I will give you one and only one exemple of weak assembly and we are all in the same boat with this one. HOW MANY SCREWS ARE ATTACHED WITH NOTHING BEHIND TO GRAB THE SCREW EXCEPT THE BOARD IT WAS ATTACHED WITH.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
I will give you one and only one exemple of weak assembly and we are all in the same boat with this one. HOW MANY SCREWS ARE ATTACHED WITH NOTHING BEHIND TO GRAB THE SCREW EXCEPT THE BOARD IT WAS ATTACHED WITH.
seen that done too many times!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #7

We have a Rockwood 2304S, which was new this spring, and have had good luck with it so far. The only thing that I had to change was the water hose from the pump to the water filter. The hose was to long which caused it to kink and not let the water flow the way it should. I cut about 2 inches off and reattached it and it is working fine now. We sure do like this camper, it is a step up from the hybred that we used to have.
jwuertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #8

Not a lot of Palomino Owners around but I was told it was too cheap of a trailer but bit the bullet anyway. Seems like I hear a lot of complaints on these forums from owners of more expensive RV's. Ours has been flawless and reading everyone else problems makes me feel better about ours. I must admit though that the only thing I see about poor quality is our fake stone backsplash in kitchen area has a few areas where they didn't stick it right to wall LOL.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #9

RubenZ: All the brands of travel trailers in the same price bracket are quite similar in quality. Palomino is not worse than the other. Myself I was looking for a Palomino before and the only item that made my decision was the layout inside that was the most important likes the kitchen drawers etc. Some models dont supply any drawers in their trailers and some only have cheap plastic drawers located inside the cupboard doors. The trailer that made my decision was the rockwood mini lite 1809s for its perfect design for just you and your wife. It is good for only 3 but you cannot beat its design inside.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #10

i hear ya loud and clear. have a 2010 cherokee 295u and am beyond gettin upset with fixing everything. i dont mind using less expensive and lightweight materials to do the job, just the installers/craftsmen should take a little more pride in the job they do installing it. alot of the things fixed should have not even left the factory, no matter what 'expense' level your trailer is. we all have jobs to purchase these units hoping people assembling do theirs. dont get me wrong, love my trailer.
oldfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote