Old 08-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #1

Unhappy Why is the Floor Sinking?

We own a 2009 Sabre 28RETS that has been used very little until this extended excursion, so far about 5000 miles. It was purchased new in late 09 but the dealer went out of business shortly after. The RV has not given us any problems except for cargo/door retainers and vents on the roof surcomming to sun light and breaking.

Now for a real problem; I knelt down to get a few drinks from the storage under the Frig to find the floor sinking under the wall between the Frig and the dinette. A gap large enough that you can put your fingers through has opened up between the bottom of the Frig wall and the carpet. What's up with this? I read a comment on the internet another Sabre owner has had a similar problem but no fix.

Can anyone help? We like the Sabre RV and it meets our needs for now, but if this is the beginning of "structural problems to come", we don't want to pay for it twice through repairs.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #2

Some campers have a steel ibeam and 5/8 plywood floor. Others have lighter frames and particle board floors.
I have heard of situations where owners had to strip everything back and install a layer of plywood... Hopefully not the case here.
It would be good if you could check out the specs on your unit and find out how it was constructed, as a starting point.
There are many clever inventors on this forum who are able to trouble shoot many problems... They will help you out.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #3

that new, i would contact Forest River.

My Cardinal developed a sag in the upper area above the cargo area (5th wheel area). was creaking within the first year but didn't notice what was happening until last year.
after this trip, i'm going to put square iron tubing as additional support.

it appears, on mine, they didn't use adequate support. they used 2-2x2's side by side as support. instead of 2x4. supports don't appear to be broken just sagging. probably an attempt to give more space in the cargo area (or living area). there are several runs like this.
in later years, they used the 2x4 runs.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #4

Sinking Floor

I lifted the carpet over the sinking portion of the floor to find CHIP BOARD-PLYWOOD in lue of standard PLYWOOD or "Marine Grade" sub-floor. Palomino probably saved $50(+-) upon assembly, Now it will cost me HUNDREDS to replace it.

THANK YOU PALOMINO/FOREST RIVER!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
PINTO

As stated before contact Forest River. They have a great customer satisfaction record. It's worth a phone call. Somebody on here should be able to post their number for you.
Chevy 3500 LTZ Dually
Kpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #6

Sinking Floor + Other Problems

In February 2011, I did contact Forest River Customer Relations about our Couch, manuf by Flair, because the stitch in one of the cushions was separating at the seam. After a phone call and numerious emails (I Saved) that included Flair Furniture and the material manuf, we told by the Forest River Rep., that because our Sabre RV was now 3 months out of warranty, it was my problem to deal with.

I don't believe calling them now about the Sinking Floor, RV now 9 months out of warranty, would do any good. All we can do is make Future Buyers of a Palomino or Forest River RV Product, aware of their FR decision to use Poor Quality Material and their Lack of Coustomer Support that could led towards future return business. At some point, this will come back and bite them in the butt.

Screw me once sham on you, you know the rest!
Old 08-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinhwy66 View Post
In February 2011, I did contact Forest River Customer Relations about our Couch, manuf by Flair, because the stitch in one of the cushions was separating at the seam. After a phone call and numerious emails (I Saved) that included Flair Furniture and the material manuf, we told by the Forest River Rep., that because our Sabre RV was now 3 months out of warranty, it was my problem to deal with.

I don't believe calling them now about the Sinking Floor, RV now 9 months out of warranty, would do any good. All we can do is make Future Buyers of a Palomino or Forest River RV Product, aware of their FR decision to use Poor Quality Material and their Lack of Coustomer Support that could led towards future return business. At some point, this will come back and bite them in the butt.

Screw me once sham on you, you know the rest!
I feel your pain and what you have stated has been said before about poor quality however i joined this forum 4 years ago when there were approx 3,500members on board and to day there are over 16,000 and you know what....they are reporting the same problems if not even more to day and the funny thing is that Forest River is one of the biggest selling rigs on the East coast only because the price is right for most people...forget the quaity it's all about the money so the bite in the butt is not big enough they still have some butt left. Really sorry to hear about the problems you are having, i have not been able to find the perfect camper yet.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
RV Newbie

If you call FR and they will not help you I am sure there are DIY options available that would not be too costly. With the carpet pulled cutting out the bad area of OSB toward surrounding supports should not be too difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinhwy66
I lifted the carpet over the sinking portion of the floor to find CHIP BOARD-PLYWOOD in lue of standard PLYWOOD or "Marine Grade" sub-floor. Palomino probably saved $50(+-) upon assembly, Now it will cost me HUNDREDS to replace it.

THANK YOU PALOMINO/FOREST RIVER!
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #9

Thanks for your reply, problem is the flooring is under the enclosure housing the refrig. that would have to be removed, this and the dinette are a slide. Looking from the bottom all you see is wet weather protection above the wheels.

The cheapest way to cover their poor quality construction is to add trim to the bottom of the wall that covers the side of the refrig hiding the gap and hope it doesn't sink any more.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #10

"The cheapest way to cover their poor quality construction"
-------------------------------------------------------------------
It isn't "poor quality construction", it is the best they could do for the price you paid. If you want a top-notch camper, you have to be willing to pay for it. Add another $20,000, and you will get a sturdier camper.
When we bought ours, I knew that I would be compromising, so I took steps to try to mitigate any potential problems. I went over our camper with a fine-toothed comb, and did a lot of extra caulking and reinforcing. I wanted a lightweight and economical camper, and I am quite happy with the Flagstaff now.
One thing I am happy about, is that the fit and finish of the Flagstaff was very good, so as long as I take care of the 'behind the scenes' stuff, I think it will last us a very long time, and will look great for many years.