Old 06-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #31
Originally Posted by prof_fate
i was responding to murrys2's comment which i consider almost anti-american and certainly ignorant.

I've owned many american cars from the early 60s to 2004 of most if not all brands (at least currenty offered). I spent 15 years in the auto industry - mechanic, service advisor, sales in both US and foreign dealerships.

I have opinions based on first hand experience gained over decades, plus I read a lot. Of the domestics Ford is the best - the least costly to own. Nissan isn't much better than domestic and toyota's quality has been falling as they've tried to be number 1 worldwide.

For a driving appliance I'd say it may depend on model as much as brand, but honda, toyota, subaru and ford are all good choices. Second tier would be gm, nissan. Chrysler can be spotty, jeep too. Mistubishi is poor.
I don't have experience with kia,hyundai, suzuki cars or the high end european stuff (landrover, jag, bmw, mercedes, porsche, etc) other than anecdotal and tha'ts not valid - other than repairs are pricey.
VW...personal experience and what I read puts them with chrysler.

Ford has been having great sales over the past decade, they refi'd everything to rebuild a lot of their assembly lines about 7 years ago when gm/chry/jeep didn't so that has helped their production efficiency and quality.

To get back on topic, when we went shopping and asked for advice (on forums, of other owners, etc) the only advice i got was "just judge quality for yourself" - basically useless advice for everyone that isn't an engineer or have experience in carpentry, electrical, etc.

Brand wise...I have no clue why there are so many brand names out there...and where the old ones went (shasta, terry are two I see often or remember). Makes the whole industry IMO seem almost fly-by-nite, as if they're intentionally trying to con customers with low quality, brand swithcing, name changing 3 card monte game.
Shasta is back

2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram 1500 HEMI with integrated brake controller, tow mirrors and Michelins LTX/AT2 275/65R20 max load: 3750 lbs. @ 80 psi but we keep them 50-55 psi
Superglide 2700
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #32
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
My 2012 Salm 27RKSS was sold to me at $15899 US plus 1 G for delivery. No sales tax at the state purchased out of.

13% tax into Canada. $33899 Canadian on the lot taxes in located in Sussex NB

Friend of mine in April 2012 just saved 23 G's on a new 5-er out of Ohio vs Fredericton.
2 others (next door neighbor saved about 1/2 off what he was going to pay for his second trailer out of Ohio from the lot at 24 here and it was close to 40G's here.

Just going off the 4 sales I know but the trend is there....

Park models were (last fall) 45 to 58 in Maine for some manufacturers. 70 to 80 here in NB
Are you actually comparing prices you'd actually pay taking it off the lot?

My 2012 Flagstaff 27BESS was within $2000 everywhere I checked compared to what I paid for it up here in Canada. It was not worth the time or effort to go down south and deal with bringing one up here.

Maybe I just got a real good deal up here, who knows.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #33
Jayco had a 2010 26 RKSS in Fredericton new on lot 32,000
I went through every trailer they had on the lot and settled in on this one.
I asked 4 or 5 times - cash on the barrel sale one payment not low payments - no credit check needed what was their best price.

4 or 5 times they dodged the bullet of a bottom dollar. That unit still sits on their lot.
Couch's RV was $15,899 less 5% exchange on currency.
When we hauled it back across the line we were 2% to the good.

$33,899 taxes included Canadian off the lot in Sussex and a whole lot of attitude for the same trailer.

at 2000 more than the US price you got a SWEET deal.
2009 Heartland Sundance 31.5 XLT bunkhouse
2013 Ford F150 XTR ECOBOOST

"Of the troops - For the troops "
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #34
Another thread gone so far off-topic it is pointless.
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #35
a dab of JB Quick Weld

Originally Posted by mtofell View Post

Why are things made so poorly?

the 5th time I go to open the cabinet door to under the kitchen sink the lower hinge just rips completely out.

the screw the hinge is put in with and it's about size of a small thumb tack.

sure have
noticed the same
screws on these THINGS
fall out often
on most I add a dab of JB Quick Weld
put them back in and all is fine

Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #36
Originally Posted by DonG View Post
Another thread gone so far off-topic it is pointless.
Welcome to an open forum. Most threads are answered within the first page or two. Many within the first reply. Anything past the 3rd page is fluff, confirmation, and/or chit chat.
TV: '06 Ram 1500 SLT QCSB Hemi 4x4
TT: '12 Grey Wolf 27BHKS
Tow Acc: Tekonsha P3 BC, Curt round bar WDH w/sway control, CIPA custom fit tow mirrors
'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #37

Yes you are right This is a place to post your experience just to bad some people are to closed minded
murry52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #38
Mod free 5er
Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6 View Post
Welcome to an open forum. Most threads are answered within the first page or two. Many within the first reply. Anything past the 3rd page is fluff, confirmation, and/or chit chat.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #39
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post

Ditto ^^^^
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #40
Site Team
Some threads will have more offsprings than others. In the end the replies are distant relatives to the original post. When I feel a thread has ran its course I move on. Posting comments (even good intentions) can keep a dying thread on life-support.

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote