Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #1

Smile Will it fit?

I wasn't sure where to post this but I need some help from more experienced folks. We are upgrading to a larger unit but have some issues with getting one in and out of the alley where we live. I park in the back yard...no problem there. It's getting in and out. We have a FET 192RBS and no problem but want to move up to a longer unit.
My question is whether the longer one (see diagram to scale) will make the turn.
Thanks!
Rfg
RFGTLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #2

Smile Will it fit?

I need some help to determine the maximum length trailer that will make the turn into the alley. See the scaled picture with labels. Not familiar enough with tight turns and would be really sad to buy something that wouldn't fit.
Thanks!
Rfgtlg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer turning.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	130026  
Old 02-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #3

I don't see a diagram in your post. When we first started looking at a camper in 13 I had very serious reservations about the size of camper we would be able to get in and out of our driveway. The dear wife drew up a scaled version of our drive and road that we have to turn out on to. Rather narrow with very deep and steep drop off's. After having the scale map, we made scale vehicles and played like little kids. Then had a buddy that is a OTR trucker come over. He looked it over and stated he would have not problems getting a semi trailer in. That gave me enough confidence to not sweat it. We picked the camper we liked and that fit us then. We have since upgraded to a 5th wheel. Still no worries on our end of dropping it off on side of our dead end road.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #4

Concrete wall makes me wonder

Yes, probably just me and lack of experience in tight spaces. I had some problem posting the pic and did it on the second try but here it is again. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailer turning.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	130029  
Old 02-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #5

With my untrained and sort of inexperienced eye, I can not really say one way or the other. But it looks to be too tight to me. Our saving grace for our situation is the fact that my turn onto our road I have a foot or so off the driveway before I would be in the ditch. What I would do would be to walk that route with 4 people with some string measured out to the dimensions you have. Its not exact but that is one of the things we did. Hopefully more knowledgeable folks will pipe with a better understanding of your situation.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #6

I drove a semi and found I needed more room to get out than to back in.
2009 Ram 2500 5.7/3:73
cmac7203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac7203 View Post
I drove a semi and found I needed more room to get out than to back in.
This.

Also the suggestion to draw the route in to scale and cut out a scale TV and trailer, fasten them with a scale hitch that pivots and try it. If there is a break in the concrete wall for a driveway that might help.

It looks extremely tight or impossible to me for a bumper pull trailer the size you wrote on the model in the drawing. Maybe a 25ft tongue to bumper at most, depending on the rear overhang on the trailer and front overhang on the TV.

If the scale model looks like the tv and traile rwon't work and owning the larger trailer is worth the additional investment, get a powered trailer dolly.
TKPINSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #8
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKPINSC View Post
This.

Also the suggestion to draw the route in to scale and cut out a scale TV and trailer, fasten them with a scale hitch that pivots and try it. If there is a break in the concrete wall for a driveway that might help.

It looks extremely tight or impossible to me for a bumper pull trailer the size you wrote on the model in the drawing. Maybe a 25ft tongue to bumper at most, depending on the rear overhang on the trailer and front overhang on the TV.

If the scale model looks like the tv and traile rwon't work and owning the larger trailer is worth the additional investment, get a powered trailer dolly.
Good idea...the powered trailer dolly is not all that expensive, and if its the trailer you really want...
Old 02-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #9

Hmmm.

What's the tongue weight?

I can't see doing this. BUT.........if you back the trailer, and then unhooked, would one of these let you put it in place?

Trailer Valet XL Trailer Dolly with Chain Drive - 2-5/16" Hitch Ball - 1,000 lbs TW Trailer Valet Hitch Accessories TVXL25

Also.......is there some absolute reason that it has to turn and be 90 degrees to driveway? Could it be left back there without turning???

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:16 AM   #10

Smile Another idea and picture

The trailer dolly is a good idea but might be difficult in the alley part as it is macadam and has holes here and there. The trailer we really want is 26'9" and the axles are 16 feet from the ball. There is some room to cut across the corner and now that I look at it, the wall may not be a major factor. Ideas?
I think I will take my current rig and tape a stick on the left side and extend to the length of the new one. The only other concern is the ball to axle distance, which is ~2 feet difference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cutting corner.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	130064  
Old 02-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #11

Rfg, I don't know, but would it maybe help to have a receiver installed on the front of your TV. Just a thought! Good Luck.
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #12
Always Learning

Will it fit?

Seeing that picture now- I would be quick to grab some 2x10 boards and ramp up and down from that corner curb- provided that you don't have issues bottoming out.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #13
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Seeing that picture now- I would be quick to grab some 2x10 boards and ramp up and down from that corner curb- provided that you don't have issues bottoming out.
X2

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:28 AM   #14
SRN

Any place in your area you could rent the longest tandem axle flat bed/car hauler trailer close to the length you're looking at for a couple hours and practice with? Might convince you either it's possibly going to work, or it definitely won't.
SRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #15

Funny you should post that. That is exactly what we just inquired about! Ha! Somebody around here is going to have a trailer that I can hook up to my truck and tested out. Thanks for the post! This form is very very helpful!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #16

I need to snake both my 28' boat and Wolf Pup around the house and very close to a tree to get them under cover...but it's quite doable with little stress using a front hitch.

jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #17

That is a neat idea! Rfg
Old 02-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #18
Site Team

Might look at these. It will eliminate the truck from the picture. I have had one for 8 yrs and can put my TT within 2" of my garage with two fingers

Power Movers | Product Categories | AC Dollies

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #19
Director, FROG

In a pinch, can you pull forward near where the red car is parked, back to your left partway into the driveway across the street, and then pull forward into the alley?

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #20

Good idea, Bob! Since my last post, my wife (TLG) had a chance to look at a Winnie 2201DS and found a couple of things she didn't like so we are back to the first choice FR 2506S Mini Lite (my favorite for many reasons). We are finalizing today. Two things that will make the turning easy: foot shorter and low hanging gray and black water pipes are at the highest point by the axles. I am confident in making the turn in and out now, partly due to the great feedback! Thanks everyone for the contributions! Rfg