Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #1

Window glass broken

Hi- first post here! After a big wind storm blew through my area over the weekend I found that the window glass above the kitchen in my Microlite 19FD was shattered. No signs of anything hitting it. It is parked in a place where no tree limbs are near it.

Any thoughts on how this could have happened? I filed an insurance claim and hoping for a quick resolution because I have my first trip planned in 3 weeks!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0652.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	164407
FCFR3762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
Always Learning

No idea, but replacing the window shouldn't cost that much. It might not be worth the ding to your insurance to deal with them.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCFR3762 View Post
Hi- first post here! After a big wind storm blew through my area over the weekend I found that the window glass above the kitchen in my Microlite 19FD was shattered. No signs of anything hitting it. It is parked in a place where no tree limbs are near it.

Any thoughts on how this could have happened? I filed an insurance claim and hoping for a quick resolution because I have my first trip planned in 3 weeks!!

Attachment 164407
I went to a glass shop and had one replaced. By law it has to be tempered, you can get around that with an approved film they install, other then that it might take over 2 weeks for them to cut it and send it out to get tempered. Film works just fine.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:

Attachment 164407

Hi, we just took off on a long trip today. After driving 3 hours and parking at our RV spot, we saw our bedroom window is all broken out like yours. Now, I am wondering if you have had this fixed and did you use a dealer or RV repair shop? I don't know how this happened, driving on interstate mostly.
Thanks for any information.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:57 AM   #5

Your best bet and cheapest way is to have a glass shop replace it. Even a auto glass shop can do it. I had one tried to fine a replacement glass the dealer wanted me to buy the whole window and frame. Got it done at a glass company.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:10 AM   #6

If the window is a "Frameless bonded tempered top hinge type" you May have to use "OEM" for replacement! Youroo!!
Old 04-30-2018, 05:27 AM   #7

So I ended up filing a claim with my insurance company who quickly put me in contact with their RV claims division. After sending them some pics and info they determined that the window had to be manufactured with a 4 week turn around. I found a local company called RV Services LLC. David the owner was awesome. He came to my house the same evening and installed a temporary window in order to keep everything waterproof. The new window was shipped to him and as soon as he received it he came back to my house and installed the new window. Did a great job and I’d highly recommend his services. Overall a fairly simple process from my standpoint.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If the window is a "Frameless bonded tempered top hinge type" you May have to use "OEM" for replacement! Youroo!!
Look at the picture posted, glass company's also carry a legal film that they cam put on so you dont need to get it tempered. Tempered glass would take then 2 weeks to get back after they fit it. By law all trailers windows have to be tempered, Youroo your correct there.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:52 AM   #9

Duncan Systems handled everything for my insurance company. I simply sent them the numbers that were engraved in he window glass along with the measurements. The new window was a perfect match.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:07 AM   #10

Quote:
So I ended up filing a claim with my insurance company who quickly put me in contact with their RV claims division. After sending them some pics and info they determined that the window had to be manufactured with a 4 week turn around. I found a local company called RV Services LLC. David the owner was awesome. He came to my house the same evening and installed a temporary window in order to keep everything waterproof. The new window was shipped to him and as soon as he received it he came back to my house and installed the new window. Did a great job and I’d highly recommend his services. Overall a fairly simple process from my standpoint.
I just noticed that you posted this on (3-06-2018) and just came back on (4-30-2018) with the results! Thanks for the Comeback! Youroo!!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:17 AM   #11

Don't know if you ever figured out the cause. We had a micro bust come through once and it picked up small rocks from the building roofs and peppered car windows shattering them. No rocks left in the end visible but it was obvious because only 1 side of the cars were hit. That or a gravel road could get enough smaller rocks to do it. Don't exclude hail as it would do the same and melts. Smaller hail blown sideways could break a window but not dent the roof.

Glad it all worked out and thanks for the update!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Maybe it is me making a connection where there is none.. But I seem to read quite a bit of people having frameless windows just burst for no reason. A lot seem to be while they are just driving down the road with no apparent cause.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:14 AM   #13
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Ours is frameless type, tilts out from the bottom, looks like OP's window.
My husband wanted sliding windows, he was disappointed ours came with these new ones. Seems to me you could get more airflow with sliding.

And it's totally broken up, if a rock hit it, it was really a big rock. Film on it would have kept a lot more of it intact.

The biggest problem is we now live in this and don't have *plans* for staying anywhere for a month till November or returning to a certain area in a few weeks.

We are on our way to Boise for 10 days and we'll go straight to an auto glass place. At least the roof isn't leaking again.....yet...........
Old 04-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
Ours is frameless type, tilts out from the bottom, looks like OP's window.
My husband wanted sliding windows, he was disappointed ours came with these new ones. Seems to me you could get more airflow with sliding.

And it's totally broken up, if a rock hit it, it was really a big rock. Film on it would have kept a lot more of it intact.

The biggest problem is we now live in this and don't have *plans* for staying anywhere for a month till November or returning to a certain area in a few weeks.

We are on our way to Boise for 10 days and we'll go straight to an auto glass place. At least the roof isn't leaking again.....yet...........
Mine had kinda of the same window tilts out at the bottom , thats what broke on mine, i was just washing the trailer, it was warm out and cold water hit it, that was it, just shattered. Thats a easy one to replace took about an hour at a auto glass shop, they did put the film on the inside, a little different, but not much. Cost like 45.00 bucks. Dealer wanted 350.00 to replace. I taped a piece of metal up until i got it in. Atleast it kept the weather out, they cant cut tempered glass, so they used single pane and the film which is legal. If i wanted it tempered they had to send it out after being cut, he said 2 week turn around. So i opt. For the film.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:58 PM   #15
Sunseeker 2400MBW

That's Very good news. I mean not your shattered glass, but only $45.

We're going to Boise for 10 days tomorrow so we'll stop at an auto glass place ASAP.
We have a white plastic trash kitchen trash bag very well taped up with packing tape. Duct tape can leave so much glue residue and looks too ghetto. This only looks a little ghetto. Actually, I can't believe how well it has held up so far. It was really cold last night, hope it doesn't rain. Our ladder isn't tall enough to really tape up the top.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:25 AM   #16

Mine was a rear window, about 6" x 24", it took them longer to take the tilt out frame out then to cut and install the new pane and film

Old 05-01-2018, 05:58 AM   #17

Mine ended up costing me nothing more than my $100 deductible and that included the temporary fix as well as the entire new window. And because it was a comprehensive claim it doesn’t ding my insurance. Best part of all was I didn’t have to do any of the work. Installer even cleaned up all the broken glass!
Old 05-28-2018, 02:45 PM   #18
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We did get our broken window replaced earlier this month but it wasn’t that inexpensive. A mobil glass man came to our motor home, measured and said by law the glass must be tempered. This was in Idaho.
A week later, he replaced it, did a good job EXCEPT it’s too narrow compared to other windows. It just barely covers the seal, I can’t get it to leak with a water hose. He told my husband that’s how he was taught to do it. It was 18”L supposed to be 24”W. $222. You probably wouldn’t notice just walking by but it’s annoying.

Tags
window