Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou

The antenna does not seem to be the issue.

The TV does not seem to be the issue.

That leaves the wires (like Barry suggested) or the wall plate amp power supply.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard Wall PLate Amp.pdf (143.1 KB, 32 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The antenna does not seem to be the issue.

The TV does not seem to be the issue.

That leaves the wires (like Barry suggested) or the wall plate amp power supply.
... or the antenna amplifier itself. All of this was working for a bit and then stopped working. Of course the TV itself could have stopped working, which is why I suggested that he try another TV.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #23
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Wrong.

There is no difference between a digital TV antenna and an analog one!

Please read the OPs first post where he indicated that he originally found 14 channels and had brief picture and sound.
Sorry buddy, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE and it is an important one. The 2008 winegard is analog and will not pick up digital signals well or at all, and can be intermittent.

Look it up please before telling me I'm wrong.

For the OP, what channels did come through and did you get static or a blue screen? If static then you have an analog TV, if blue screen then your TV digital and you need a digital antenna. OR you do have a wiring problem. Signal strength meter recommended. I went through a similar scenario with my 2008.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Sorry buddy, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE and it is an important one. The 2008 winegard is analog and will not pick up digital signals well or at all, and can be intermittent.

For the OP, what channels did come through and did you get static or a blue screen? If static then you have an analog TV, if blue screen then your TV digital and you need a digital antenna. OR you do have a wiring problem. Signal strength meter recommended. I went through a similar scenario with my 2008.
OK, you are not correct. There is no difference.

Here is all the source data.

The only thing the Wingman gives you is additional range in the UHF band.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wingmanGraph.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	32480  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2452167 RV-WINGMAN.pdf (303.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: pdf Sensar Antenna and Amp Plate.pdf (1.06 MB, 49 views)
Old 06-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

The fiver I had before was built in 1976 and had a analog wineguard. when I sold it to My BIL I put in a new 22 inch vizio hooked up to the the wineguard and scanned about 60 channels and they all were perfectly clear in fact it was way better than his house TV. I can tell you It works Just fine. Because it works as good as my Wildcat's Wineguard I think he has other issues.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #26
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
OK, you are not correct. There is no difference.

Here is all the source data.

The only thing the Wingman gives you is additional range in the UHF band.
UHF is where many of the channels are, but yous guys are so smart I will shut up now.

At my location there are 8 VHF and 20 UHF. I do agree that the OP problem may be something else.

What about blue screen vs static? What about that

What about a signal str meter? From radio shack.

I give up.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #27

No blue screen or static. The picture appeared perfect the first time it came up. I believe a picture of the TV is attached, if it didn't work sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130606_194853_682.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	32487  
LJ_Sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #28
Site Team - Lou

This thread has links that may help you.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nks-27581.html
Old 06-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #29

Other circuit interferance possible

OK..2 cents from me..I also know that while you can buy "digital" antenna's there conceptually really isn't any difference between analog and digital reception.........YES there are design factors due to the different signal waveforms being transmitted that can be monopolized with a digital antenna...but IF you in fact searched and found channels then my vote is that your TV, wiring and antenna WERE fine at that point in time.

It would not be uncommon to have an issue with an electronic device (ie the TV) where in it can work for a time, overheat and then die.....easiest way to isolate that is standard troubleshooting......disconnect suspect TV and hook up another one and see what happens.

NOW for my 2 cents...in my rig when signal strength is marginal (strong enough to get a clear tv picture, but weak enough that a slight turn in the antenna will kill it) I also lose the entire picture when the bathroom light is switched on......I have a feeling that the conductor for the power supply to this circuit must be close or on top of the TV coax......YES coax is shielded and that should NOT happen but in my case it is...I still have yet to take cabinets apart to investigate.......

SO...turn off any and all other lights around your TV and antenna area's and see what happens, you never know!

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebemis View Post
OK..2 cents from me..I also know that while you can buy "digital" antenna's there conceptually really isn't any difference between analog and digital reception.........YES there are design factors due to the different signal waveforms being transmitted that can be monopolized with a digital antenna...
I agree with most of what you said. However, on the above, all an antenna does is to receive radio waves. How those waves are modulated does not affect the antenna at all and there are no optimization techniques that can cause an antenna to work differently on one type of modulation over another type. Antennas do support different frequency ranges, but with digital TV, the only change in frequencies that occurred was the removal of some frequencies (channel 52-69), so an antenna that supported these previously is more than adequate when they are removed.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #31

I hear ya' Barry....I was tryin' not to let my old USN Electronics Technician show through and instead leave a "general knowledge" type of response that almost anyone could understand. What I have seen is a vast difference in the new market "digital antennas" from the old school herringbone style.......must be in part due to the carrier wave frequency being in a specific and tighter range than the old school broad UHF and VHF spectrum.

I am not a TV repair man, I would have to defer to Jeff Spicolli's father (the TV repair man from Fast Times at Ridgemont High) for the true technical details! ;-)

2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
Old 06-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #32

Quote:
I hear ya' Barry....I was tryin' not to let my old USN Electronics Technician show through and instead leave a "general knowledge" type of response that almost anyone could understand. What I have seen is a vast difference in the new market "digital antennas" from the old school herringbone style.......must be in part due to the carrier wave frequency being in a specific and tighter range than the old school broad UHF and VHF spectrum.

I am not a TV repair man, I would have to defer to Jeff Spicolli's father (the TV repair man from Fast Times at Ridgemont High) for the true technical details! ;-)
I fully agree that a less specific, more general answer is preferred in many cases. While that general answer can contain approximations, it shouldn't contain inaccuracies. So no, the antenna responds to the whole range from VHF thru UHF, and while there will be performance differences in large frequency areas, there is no change down at the 6MHz bandwidth of the TV carrier (which was 6 and still is 6). The "styling" is just part of the "digital hype" to sell people something they generally didn't need. Lots of good people spent their money, which was good for the economy. It accomplished little else. In Austin, we had 1 VHF station and 5 UHF stations before the digital conversion. We had the same mix after the digital conversion (and yes, I know about virtual channel numbering). Some markets may have added UHF stations in places where there was a shortage of UHF antennas. That was also a valid reason to spend money on an antenna.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #33

Before replacing parts I would get a cheap antenna from a store and hook it directly to your tv and see if you start getting channels that way you can rule out your tv if it works. I just bought a new camper at the beginning of the year and I did not receive any channels either. I found that the center pin of the cable going to the antenna was cut to short and not making a good connection at the booster. I have temporarily fixed it with a small piece of aluminum foil until I get it to the dealer at the end of the season.
Leecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #34

Spicolli

Quote:
snip . . .
I would have to defer to Jeff Spicolli's father (the TV repair man from Fast Times at Ridgemont High) for the true technical details! ;-)
I don't think Jeff's father was much of a technician, but I'm sure he can fix the op's problem, because he had "an ULTIMATE set of tools"
dcmChrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #35

Totally!!

2020 Rockwood Roo 235s