Old 06-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #31

I hear ya' Barry....I was tryin' not to let my old USN Electronics Technician show through and instead leave a "general knowledge" type of response that almost anyone could understand. What I have seen is a vast difference in the new market "digital antennas" from the old school herringbone style.......must be in part due to the carrier wave frequency being in a specific and tighter range than the old school broad UHF and VHF spectrum.

I am not a TV repair man, I would have to defer to Jeff Spicolli's father (the TV repair man from Fast Times at Ridgemont High) for the true technical details! ;-)

2013 Rockwood Roo 233S
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebemis View Post
I hear ya' Barry....I was tryin' not to let my old USN Electronics Technician show through and instead leave a "general knowledge" type of response that almost anyone could understand. What I have seen is a vast difference in the new market "digital antennas" from the old school herringbone style.......must be in part due to the carrier wave frequency being in a specific and tighter range than the old school broad UHF and VHF spectrum.

I am not a TV repair man, I would have to defer to Jeff Spicolli's father (the TV repair man from Fast Times at Ridgemont High) for the true technical details! ;-)
I fully agree that a less specific, more general answer is preferred in many cases. While that general answer can contain approximations, it shouldn't contain inaccuracies. So no, the antenna responds to the whole range from VHF thru UHF, and while there will be performance differences in large frequency areas, there is no change down at the 6MHz bandwidth of the TV carrier (which was 6 and still is 6). The "styling" is just part of the "digital hype" to sell people something they generally didn't need. Lots of good people spent their money, which was good for the economy. It accomplished little else. In Austin, we had 1 VHF station and 5 UHF stations before the digital conversion. We had the same mix after the digital conversion (and yes, I know about virtual channel numbering). Some markets may have added UHF stations in places where there was a shortage of UHF antennas. That was also a valid reason to spend money on an antenna.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #33

Before replacing parts I would get a cheap antenna from a store and hook it directly to your tv and see if you start getting channels that way you can rule out your tv if it works. I just bought a new camper at the beginning of the year and I did not receive any channels either. I found that the center pin of the cable going to the antenna was cut to short and not making a good connection at the booster. I have temporarily fixed it with a small piece of aluminum foil until I get it to the dealer at the end of the season.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #34

Spicolli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebemis View Post
snip . . .
I would have to defer to Jeff Spicolli's father (the TV repair man from Fast Times at Ridgemont High) for the true technical details! ;-)
I don't think Jeff's father was much of a technician, but I'm sure he can fix the op's problem, because he had "an ULTIMATE set of tools"
Old 06-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #35

Totally!!

2013 Rockwood Roo 233S
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote