Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #1

Winterize toilet

I just bought a Rockwood Rhino Hw256 a few months ago so this is my first time trying to winterize it.

I used a sump pump to push the pink stuff thru it. Everything worked great except it wont come out of the toilet. Sink, outdoor shower, indoor shower all worked as normal, but the toilet had a little water at first, and then nothing. This is the cassette system and it has a little reservoir for some kind of blue toilet freshener (or something like that). I was able to empty that ok. Once it was empty, nothing came thru, even though I was pushing pink stuff into the lines.

The "owners manual" from FR is a joke. It tells me I have a toilet and how to flush it, but not much else. (by the way, I figured that out on my own... lol )

What am I doing wrong? thanks for any help.
fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #2

I have never heard of using an external pump to pump through the RV anti-freeze. Are you pumping it in through the city water connection?
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Villa Estate 392FLFB

ya pushing? should just unhook the city, pour antifreeze into fresh water tank (that is mostly empty!) and just turn on the 12v pump and flush toilet and run taps till it turns pink.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Grape Escape

No need to put antif

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
ya pushing? should just unhook the city, pour antifreeze into fresh water tank (that is mostly empty!) and just turn on the 12v pump and flush toilet and run taps till it turns pink.
You do not add anti freeze to fresh water tank.
disconnect water line where it enters water pump and use water pump to run AF thru piping.
Adding to fresh water tank would be wasteful, probably diluted with any residual water remaining in tank.
leave drain valves open from fresh water holding tank over winter
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaofthree View Post
I have never heard of using an external pump to pump through the RV anti-freeze. Are you pumping it in through the city water connection?
Yes. I have another much larger camper (that doesnt have a fresh water camper) and i've always used a sump pump to push AF thru the pipes. works like a charm.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #6

Quote:
I dont really want to add AF to the fresh water tank. Besides, it shouldn't matter if it's coming thru the city water or the water pump, it still goes thru the toilet. which brings me back to the original question. why is AF coming out of every place it's supposed to, except the toilet?
Old 10-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Grape Escape

Hope this is not a dumb suggestion but you are pushing the flush valve?
Another explanation is it connected to hot water piping? You never know Forest River has been know to wire things incorrectly and could also connect water lines incorrectly just as easily.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Hope this is not a dumb suggestion but you are pushing the flush valve?
Another explanation is it connected to hot water piping? You never know Forest River has been know to wire things incorrectly and could also connect water lines incorrectly just as easily.
LOL... yes, i'm flushing it.....

I'll check the hot water line theory, but I doubt that's it. thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisk View Post
LOL... yes, i'm flushing it.....

I'll check the hot water line theory, but I doubt that's it. thanks for the suggestion.
After I made this reply, it just dawned on me. I've got the HW tank bypassed, so the AF is coming thru the entire camper, hot and cold lines. Even if the toilet was hooked up to the hot water lines, the AF would still come thru....
Old 10-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
Villa Estate 392FLFB

question. is it a plumbed toilet or is it a chemical toilet?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #11

Quote:
question. is it a plumbed toilet or is it a chemical toilet?
Uh, good question. I'm assuming it's a chemical toilet. there is a small holder for some blue stuff just above the cassette tank.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Villa Estate 392FLFB

if its a chemical toilet there is no lines to the water tanks etc. its a self sustaining toilet. dad's old dodge maxi van has one of those. threw us for a loop figuring it out to.

not sure if that blue stuff freezes or not. wouldnt hurt to dump the toilet and then fill it with some antifreeze then re-pump it to be on the safe side.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #13

I'm not sure that cassette toilets are even connected to the RV water system.
MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #14

We had a cassette toilet and they are not hooked up to the water supply. They have their own supply which you put the blue chemical in, I would drain the blue out ( I have saved it in the past and use next year) and put a little pink stuff. Make sure you run some of the pick stuff into the cassette, to insure it is protected from the cold.
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote