Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #1

Winterizing - tv & chairs

Hello everyone, we are back after our extended trip across Canada and back through the USA(110 days and 23000+km(14000+miles)), and now time to put the 5er away for the winter. My questions are:-

1. Should I take the TV sets in for the winter??

2. Should I take the Leather Lazyboy chairs in for the winter??

Our winters in Calgary can be very cold, down to -20C to -40C at times and I don't want to ruin the TV's or have the leather on the chairs to crack.

Thanks
Ray & Nora
seatosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #2

A TV should not need to be stored in a warm place unless you are planning on turning it on when it is really cold out. There are 2 things that kill electronics moisture and fast extreme temperature changes. For winter storage neither should be a problem. As for moisture, you would have a problem if while the trailer was cold you fired up the furnace then turned on the TV before the TV got to room temperature. You would get condensation on the TV that could be problem.

As for extreme temperature, if you turned on the TV while it is -40 out you might have a problem. Some components would almost instantly go from -40 F to well over 100 F. This is what causes most electronic items to fail. TVs and the likes are meant to operate at a relative constant temperature. The TV manual should say something about letting the TV come to room temperature before plugging it in and turning it on.

If TVs could not survive the -40 then you could not buy a TV during the winter in Calgary, or any place it is cold. They have to get shipped to a store in a truck and will be subjected to the outside air temp which could be -40 like you said.

As for the Lazy Boy I would use the same logic. It would be delivered by a truck in the winter.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Villa Estate 392FLFB

id say it should be okay. just make sure the chairs and tv and anything else is not touching the walls to avoid condensation problems.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #4

If the TV is an LCD, there is a concern of freezing. The crystals could potentially burst and cause dead spots on the screen.
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #5

I always take my TV's in for the winter, and it doesn't get nearly that cold here. I don't know if there would be any damage, but why take the risk?
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
Wanna Be Camper

For the 2 minutes it takes to pull the TV, I would take it inside. I do with ours as for some reason we seem to encounter your weather just a few days later.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote