Old 10-07-2016, 04:57 AM   #11
Reading a battery voltage while being charged or discharging is a false reading. It must rest for an hour or more. My 6 volt batteries read about 6.32 ~ 6.35 full with an SG of 1.275 or greater... this depends on temp. I have heard residential units have an anti-frost heater in the fridge .. turn that off while traveling. Get a Trimetric TM-2030 so you can accurately manage your batteries. Also, the specs on the fridge should be on a sticker inside. Like stated it sounds like there is a low battery warning set and you were that low ... factory setting on mine was 10 volts. Running that low will drastically shorten the life of your batteries. Lastly make sure your batteries / inverter is cabled properly ... cable gauge and connection scheme is critically important... photos?

XLR Hyperlite 29HFS
Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Triumph Thunderbird

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Grandebill View Post
I just bought my first residential refrig 5th wheel. It only has 2 12 volt batteries. The dealership did not create a jumper cable between the battery that was connected to the 7 pin charger from the tow vehicle to the battery that ran the inverter. That battery was dead from using the inverter during the travel time. Refrig temps similar to yours. Check your battery wiring to insure that the inverter connections are jumpered to your other batteries.
My dealer did the same thing, found out about it on my maiden voyage to Ft Wilderness. I swapped batteries around in South Carolina so the tow vehicle charged the dead battery, the single 12 volt powered the fridge for the rest of the trip.

2017 Surveyor 33RETS with Residential Refrigerator and Inverter
2015 Palomino Puma 30FQSS --Traded--
2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L 2WD
Nights Camped 2016 23

Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #13
Check the wiring to your batteries. CW wired ours wrong and would not charge while driving.
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #14
Originally Posted by Mahlstedtd View Post
Check the wiring to your batteries. CW wired ours wrong and would not charge while driving.
Yes check.
Here is what it should look like for 4- Six Volt batteries to produce 12 volt output.
Attached Images
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #15
Site Team
The 12V aux line in the 7 pin connector of your TV will not charge the batteries in the RV. At best, it will help keep fully charged batteries topped off if there is little load on them.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #16
The typical domestic reefer will draw 7 amps a/c power. After the inverter you need 10X the current or 70 amps of DC battery to maintain the refrigerator. The umbilical cord can only supply a fraction of this load. The fridge doesn't draw full power all the time but when it does run these values apply.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #17
I appreciate everyone's input. I have been on the road for the a few hours.

After further research and taking the panel cover off, I found that the second positive cable that was ran into the box was not connected. The inverter read 13.6 before I connected the second set of batteries and now it reads 12.8. I will be keeping and eye on it. Each battery read 6.37v and each battery bank read 12.4v. I will be stationary for a couple of days and plugged into shore line.

Again thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Robert Shorter
2015 Dodge 3500 DWD
Blue Ridge 3500RS
rmshorter is offline   Reply With Quote

diagram, refrigerator, towing