Old 10-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #1

Wire diagram Residental refrigerator kitchenaide while towing and Amp hours

While towing does the power to a residential refrigerator flow threw to the batteries on the same wire a seven blade hook up uses to charge the batteries or does it go through the auxiliary wire? Or do I need to run an additional line just for the refrigerator when in tow?

I have a Blue Ridge 3600RS with a KitchenAide residential refrigerator. I also have 4 Trojan 6v batteries with a 2000w inverter. My towing vehicle is a 2015 Dodge 3500.

It took 4 hours to do some work on our 5th. The Residental refrigerator was on the whole time . As soon as the work was finished We left and drove for 4 hours. The inverter was beeping when we started the drive and it continued to beep when we arrived. Not sure what the temperature was in the refrigerator when we started but it was 58 in the ref and 19 in the freezer when we arrived at the designation.

Also what is the Amh for a Residental refrigerator?

I don't see much information regarding Residental refrigerators. The 4 Trojan (6v) don't seem to last very long. Even though it's more Amh than the 2 - 12v(s) batteries the unit came with.

I would appreciate any input

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Robert Shorter
2015 Dodge 3500 DWD
Blue Ridge 3500RS
rmshorter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #2

When was the last time you charged up the Trojans?

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #3

I have four six volts batteries and have run my res. reefer for over 8 hours in transit, no drop in temp.

Inverter has never 'beeped'. Maybe yours is bad???

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
When was the last time you charged up the Trojans?
I would add one word to your sentence.

When was the last time you FULLY charged up the Trojans?

That makes a lot of difference don't you think?

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #5

Batteries were fully charged before the work was done

Thanks,

Robert Shorter
2015 Dodge 3500 DWD
Blue Ridge 3500RS
Old 10-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

Sorry, to clarify, the batteries were fully charged before the work was started.

Thanks,

Robert Shorter
2015 Dodge 3500 DWD
Blue Ridge 3500RS
Old 10-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmshorter View Post
Sorry, to clarify, the batteries were fully charged before the work was started.

Thanks,

If your batteries were fully charged as you said and using an 2000 watt invertor I would expect the batteries to maintain the refrigerator operation for at least 8 hours.

With that said you mentioned that the invertor was beeping which usually means low battery voltage and invertor can not maintain 120 volt AC output.

I would suspect the issue is the batteries or the invertor itself and not worry about the refrigerator. Have you had any issues plugged into shore power?
Have you plugged the refrigerator into a real 120 volt AC outlet instead of the invertor power?

All these things can help pin point the problem if you have one.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #8

I have no issues with the Residental refrigerator. It works with shore power but I have never plug it in directly to an outside source.

My issues are maintaining power to the Residental refrigerator, either in tow or an over nighter in a parking lot.

The converter is rated at 13.6 and the inverter will read 13.6 when the batteries are charged. When I was able to plug into shore power, after the above trip, the inverter read 14.6.

I have had the 4 Trojan 6v flooded batteries are only 6 months and I bought them new. And I do maintain them.

Thanks

Robert Shorter
2015 Dodge 3500 DWD
Blue Ridge 3500RS
Old 10-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #9

Great information.
The 14.6V is a good high charge voltage.
Now after it has been charging for a good while at 14.6 V does it drop down any when you disconnect from shore power?
With no charger on the batteries they should maintain 13.2 to 13.4 V easily.
If the battery voltage drops down below 12.0 V within a few minutes it sounds like one of the battery cells is having an issue and the batteries need testing under load.
Does this help a little.

Here is some info from the Trojan Battery Company site.

Measurements & Troubleshooting

1. How can I tell if a flooded battery is bad?
To determine if the battery in a system is experiencing a problem, disconnect all electrical loads, fully charge the batteries then disconnect all charging sources. Allow each battery in the system to stand on open-circuit for about one hour. Measure the voltage of each battery. If the battery voltage spread exceeds .15 volts for a 6-volt battery, or .22 volts for a 12-volt battery a problem is indicated. Battery voltage alone does not confirm a problem. When the voltage spread indicates a problem, confirmation is accomplished by taking electrolyte specific gravity readings using a hydrometer. If the specific gravity readings show a spread greater than .030 (30 points), give the batteries an equalization charge and re-test.

2. How can a flooded battery’s state of charge be accurately measured?
The state of charge of a lead acid battery is most accurately determined by measuring the specific gravity of the electrolyte. This is done with a hydrometer. Battery voltage also indicates the level of charge when measured in an open circuit condition. This should be done with a voltmeter. For an accurate voltage reading, the battery should also be allowed to rest for a period of one hour minimum in order to let the voltage stabilize.

3. How far can I tilt my batteries?
For flooded batteries, 22 degrees from vertical is the maximum recommended tilt. AGM and Gel batteries can be operated vertically or horizontally.

4. Can I reduce my maintenance by not gassing my flooded batteries?
You will reduce the frequency of watering, but will cause a condition known as stratification where the specific gravity of the electrolyte is light at the top of the battery and heavy at the bottom. This condition results in poor performance and reduced battery life.

5. What is used to clean a battery and neutralize the electrolyte?
A solution of baking soda and water. Use 1 cup of baking soda for every gallon of water.

6. What is the specific gravity of a fully charged flooded battery?
A hydrometer reading of 1.277 or greater indicates full charge for most Trojan batteries. This value is based upon a specified temperature of 80F (27C). For temperature correction values, see the “Temperature” section of this FAQ.

7. What is the correct Specific Gravity (SG) of the Trojan Premium Line? I was told that Trojan changed the SG value for the Premium Line. Is this true? How do I determine the correct Specific Gravity of the Trojan Premium Line battery I already have purchased?
Yes, Trojan changed SG values of the Premium Line in March 2012 to avoid confusion over correct SG values for the Premium Line compared to the Signature Line. However, this change does not have any impact on life cycle performance. Trojan Premium Line batteries manufactured prior to March, 2012 have nominal SG of 1.260 while those produced after March 2012 have nominal SG of 1.280. To determine the date of manufacture, refer to the date code on the negative terminal which consists of a letter and a number. The letter refers to the month and the number refers to the year. A2 = January 2012, B2 = February 2012 and C2 = March 2012 etc.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:02 PM   #10

I just bought my first residential refrig 5th wheel. It only has 2 12 volt batteries. The dealership did not create a jumper cable between the battery that was connected to the 7 pin charger from the tow vehicle to the battery that ran the inverter. That battery was dead from using the inverter during the travel time. Refrig temps similar to yours. Check your battery wiring to insure that the inverter connections are jumpered to your other batteries.

Tags
diagram, refrigerator, towing