Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #1

Smile wiring issues with 2006 Wildwood 32'

The light switch that controls the centre 3 lights of the trailer has stopped working. The lights won't turn on or off with the switch so therefore we have to turn them on at the light. The switch has been checked and is not the problem (when connected to the outside lights the switch works). All the fuses are working too so we have no idea unless it is a broken wire somewhere.

My husband has been working with this over the last couple of weekends and is getting frustrated with it. He would like to know if there is a manual that shows the wiring of the trailer and if so where can we get one?

Anyone else ever have this problem? Any help would be appreciated. We are just new to the camping life and are loving it to the max!
alveltkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Without telling us what trailer you have, it's next to impossible to know about a wiring diagram. I see 2006 Wildwood 32. Regardless, you may never find a diagram. Are you sure you are you are working the right switch? If the lights work, then it is not a fuse, they have 12 volt power. Is there any chance there is another switch? Like the "3 way" switches they used to put in houses, one at each end of a hall or something? A broken wire will cause them not to work, instead of make them work. Without any more info at the moment, I would be looking for another switch. Take the light fixture down, see how many wires connect to it. Should be one black, 12 volt positive, and one white, 12 volt negative. If there are more, there is another switch or control device. Good luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #3

It is a Wildwood 32" FKSS. No there is only 1 light switch for these lights. It worked no problem for 6 months, and then on the long weekend I flicked the switch to turn off the lights as we were leaving and the 3 centre lights stayed on. The switch plate has 3 switches on it...one for the lights I am talking about, and the other 2 are outside lights. These still work no problem. My husband checked the switch out by changing the wires from one of the outside lights and it turns that light on and off. We know that if there is a broken wire going to the lights that the lights won't work..that is easy enough to understand without asking that question, what I was saying is we assume there is likely a broken wire going to the switch not the lights. He has taken all 3 lights down that are affected by this switch and yes there is a white wire, black wire and orange wire that connects the 3 lights together. There definately is no other switch in the trailer anywhere to operate these lights other than on the lights themselves.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #4

Have you tried turning all 3 of the lights on, at each light. Then turn the wall switch off ? All of my lights have a switch on them but they don't work at all unless the wall switch is on first.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #5

Hi railrode. Yes we have tried that. Actually the first thing we did!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

What is the orange wire connected to? White should go to white, black to black. What does the orange wire do? Have you disconnected it and tried it that way? Back to the broken wire. Any broken wire will leave your lights not working, you don't have this problem. Also when he checked the switch with an outside light, did he use the other switch to test inside light? (did he swap the switches?) Please don't take offense. Just trying to help. Electrical issues are tricky for experts. Do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt test light? Will help a bunch, and guide you in some test if you have one. Keep us posted.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 06-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #7

No offense taken! The orange wires go from the switch to each of the 3 lights on the ceiling. No he hasn't disconnected the orange wires. If the wire is broken to the switch but not beyond the switch would the lights not work if turned on at the light itself? Yes, he did swap the switches and no that one didn't turn on the lights. Yes he does have the 12 volt test light which he has been using. I'm thinking it is time to call someone in to check it out for us! Thanks for the info!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Sent you a private mail.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 06-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #9

I have replied to your message. I hope I did it right. This forum is new to me and still trying to figure it out!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #10

Switches can fail, and often will fail in the closed (on) position, this may be the problem, try replacing the switch
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Cool More Troubleshooting tips

1) With the power OFF - No shore power - Black Wire OFF battery.
2) Pop the switch plate off (sounds like you did that before).
3) Swap the entire wiring set with the switch next to it.

Feel free to put the removed wires from that switch to the suspected "bad" switch.

4) Check all wires are firmly connected.
5) Connect the Black Wire to the battery
6) Check for correct light operation using the outside light switch to operate the inside lights.
7) If all is ok now, then check the outside light using the now suspect switch. If "No Go" replace switch.
8) If outside light works fine, and the inside lights are still bad, you have a wire issue. (this is highly unlikely since the lights are working and power is switched on and off, not the ground).

Power would have to be bypassing the switch assembly to get to the lights. If the lights were not working AT ALL, then its possible you have a bad ground connection.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote