Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #1

Wobble fix for 5ers zero cost!

This wobble thing has been driving me nuts, X-chocks helped, having more timber under the jacks also helped, (I still need more), folks with tripods have mixed feelings if they help or not, some have cross braces, etc.

I noticed that when I push sideways on the front corner of my rig there is quite a bit of movement and looking at the front legs, the legs move inside the tubes they come out of, I guess the commercial crossbraces deal with this.

I kept the two interior "slide" braces that came with the rig, have never used them, I figure if the slide is ever going to come out whilst driving the wooden trim is not going to hold it anyway. If you don't agree then substitute the braces for two pieces of suitable lumber. So I modified them very simply to make a long enough cross brace, it takes 10 minutes, and when in place it stops the sideways movement almost completely. See pics below.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05444.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	7292

Name:	DSC05443.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	7293

Name:	DSC05442.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	7294
Here is what I did. Unscrew the pivot flanges out of the thicker tube from both braces. See pic 3. Drill out the rivet or file the head off the rivet on one of the flanges so that the threaded bar can be detached. Use this threaded bar to join the two thicker tubes together, half of the bar in each tube and tighten them against each other. Slide the thinner tubes using the spring loaded locking pins to get the approximate diagonal length between top and bottom of the two legs, use the threaded ends to get a reasonably snug fit and as high and low as possible. The bottom pivot flange sits against the leg just above the shoe and the upper pivot flange rests against the outer tube of the leg. When in position bang the top part of the brace downwards with your hand/fist to make a tight fit. All done, now see what a difference it makes!

Just a note, The new brace has to be banged down into position the brace cannot be twisted against the flanges like it was first intended because this mod leaves two equal and not opposing threads on each end. There may be a solution to this, any ideas?

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #2

Looks great. I may give that a try. I was wondering what to do with those braces.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have a 5th wheel, but looks interesting. I wonder if one of the truck bed locking bars would do the same thing. They have right and left thread on opposing ends, rubber coated feet, then you could place it and tighten it as needed. That would be for those that don't have slide locking bars I suppose.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #4

It's only braced in one direction. Add another in an "X" configuration and it should be even more solid.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Just a note, The new brace has to be banged down into position the brace cannot be twisted against the flanges like it was first intended because this mod leaves two equal and not opposing threads on each end. There may be a solution to this, any ideas

JSI: Jack Screw, Inch - Midwest Control Products Corp. ????

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
Villa Estate 392FLFB

you pretty much made this

‪SteadyFast Stabilizers for RV, Fifth Wheel & Travel Trailer‬‏ - YouTube
Old 08-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Just a note, The new brace has to be banged down into position the brace cannot be twisted against the flanges like it was first intended because this mod leaves two equal and not opposing threads on each end. There may be a solution to this, any ideas

JSI: Jack Screw, Inch - Midwest Control Products Corp. ????
That would work perfectly in the centre, you would just need an open ended wrench to tighten and loosen it. I have one of these on a cross brace between shock towers on my car. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

Thanks!

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Old 08-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post
Looks great. I may give that a try. I was wondering what to do with those braces.
It will take 10 minutes give it a try and let me know what you think

Old 08-13-2011, 02:56 AM   #9

I'll give this a try. Thanks
swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:50 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Would the bolt with------------

Would the bolt with the left & right hand threads screw into both of Nigel's
"jack screws"? Seems like you need left hand threads in one of the "jack screws". I haven't looked, does one have left hand treads?
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Would the bolt with the left & right hand threads screw into both of Nigel's
"jack screws"? Seems like you need left hand threads in one of the "jack screws". I haven't looked, does one have left hand treads?
Hi Sid

Each brace has a left at one end and a right at the other so when you twist the brace it either opens wider or closes smaller, My mod puts the braces back to back so you get either two lefts or two rights at the ends so the twisting will not work any more, Have a look you will see what I mean.

That doesnt matter though just wedge it in there by hand and it works a treat. Better do it quick before I get it patented

Old 08-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #12

Wobble Fix

NIGELS remedy does work. I use the slide out locks at the rear levelers and a moving van cargo bar (which is the same identical instrument but longer) at the front legs of fifth wheel. Found it at a yard sale for a few bucks.
decooper3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er