Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
Dryflycaster

X-Chock Usage

Hello,

I have attempted to search the forum for a answer, but was unable to find exactly what I needed.

I have been looking at X-Chocks as a means of replacing the standard hard rubber triangles. The idea was to install them using my portable drill that I currently use for the stabilizers.

Every manufacturer installation procedure I have read, all recommend the installation of the triangle chocks before installing their X-Chock. So it appears that the X-Chocks are not designed as a replacement for the triangle chocks but a enhancement or addition to the triangle chocks.

So.......... I finally get to my question(s).

Is the X-Chock suitable as a replacement for the triangle chock ?

I have never used a set of X-Chocks but they appear to me that they would lock the wheels in place as good or maybe even better than the triangle chocks.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

_bill

2017 RAM 2500 Cummings Diesel
2017 Forest River Avenger 27DBS
dryflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

This has been debated in detail many times here on the FRF.

You'll get a wide range of answers whether the X-chocks should REPLACE traditional chocks or simply be used in CONJUNCTION with them.

Personally, with my set-up and the way I tightly install the X-Chocks, you'd slide the tires before the X-Chocks would fly/kick out (as some claim) or allow the R/V to roll.

Obviously, if your tires are MANY inches apart (thereby having to use EXTENDED X-Chocks) then I would not trust using the X-Chock as a sole means of chocking the wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x-chocks.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	211736  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
Multi-Slacker

I had the same thought about using my drill on the XChocks. No Go. Not enough room between wheel well top and xchock nut to get a drill in there. 2nd issue is that it requires more torque than the drill, that I carry around in the TT, can generate.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #4

Here are my thoughts, and my experiences with the X-chock.

Mind you, I normally use the plastic wheel chocks when un-hooking, then level out, and then install the X-chocks.

However, I have now, on 2 occasions (one was actually when my dad was helping, so he didn't know my process) put the X-chocks on the camper, unhooked the truck, and leveled the camper out, without using the actual plastic wheel chocks. The first time, was me being in a hurry, and I forgot about the regular chocks when I unhooked, and I was perfectly level already. The second as stated, my dad installed the X-chocks on my camper as I was unhooking, and he said okay to unhook. After the fact I realized he didn't use the regular wheel chocks, but the X-chocks. The camper was in a fairly sloped site, and it didn't budge at all when I unhooked.
My experience is that the X-chocks would probably work fine by themselves, assuming the tires and X-chocks were dry, and you installed them tight enough. However, I don't use them by themselves, because the plastic chocks I do have, are really cheap, and install really quickly for peace of mind.
GXPWeasel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflycaster View Post
.....Is the X-Chock suitable as a replacement for the triangle chock ? ......
YES, I've used nothing but the X-Chocks for six years, ... BUT, your question has spawned many discussions here on the forum and some which have gotten heated over the "yea or nay" answers, ... so, it's mainly a personal decision, ... X-Chock is the first thing installed after side-to-side level and the last thing removed before leaving the site, ...

but about using your drill, ... I suspect you won't have enough room to use it up in the wheel well, ... I don't even like the ratchet wrench which comes with the X-Chock, for me, a T-handle wrench is much more comfortable and easier to use, ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0144.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	211737  

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:18 AM   #6

No comment on in conjunction or in place of... I've used them. My tires are a little more than 3 finger widths apart. Using my battery drill to tighten then up was often problematic, not much room,
I got a pair of Fastway "One Step" chocks. I find they do as good a job at keeping my trailer steady as the X-Chocks do. And they are way easier to use.

Planning to try selling my lightly used X-Chocks at the FR Int Rally next week Friday. They are nearly new, in the box.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #7

Heres my take on them. A little different slant but goes with this thread. I have been using them on my car trailer along with 2 stabilizer Jack's at the rear of the trailer. It keeps the trailer solid. Even unloaded my Falcon from the trailer without the RV hooked up. This was at the FR International meet and there were people around that were surprised the trailer did not move. Same set of Xchocks. I store it with them in use under the tire covers. They are a lot tougher then the manufacturer makes out.
My street at home is a hill and with a vehicle on board and the Xchocks in use, it sits in front of the house overnight disconnected from the RV.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #8

I love the X-chocks, I would still use the triangles while I was unhooking my tow vehicle, and then put the X-chocks on. They make a big difference in eliminating the movement you'd feel when people walk around inside the camper.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #9

X chocks says NO . liability issues I'm sure their lawyers want to eliminate any legal issues should one just use the x-chock and a trailer rolls away . they are designed to keep the wheels from rocking back and forth and give a little most stability when set up . this is what they are marketed for . BUT i see no reason why they would not securely hold a TT in place But you own the risk
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #10

I used mine after unhooking and carried 2 triangle ones for unhooking. I like to let the trailer rock just a pinch with unhooking. Lets the hitch come off the ball easier. Then put the X-chocks on each side. Really cuts the rocking.

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #11

Standard chocks on one side, X-chock on the other...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #12
Canadian Member

I always chock with heavy rubber triangular chocks, then level, then install the X-chocks. I've found that the wheels shift as the trailer is being leveled so I wait until I've leveled the trailer before installing them.

For me, their purpose is to reduce movement forward/backwards when we're in the trailer, not to secure the trailer from rolling away, although they can do that. If you want to completely eliminate movement, you'll need to install something like JT Strong Arms or SteadyFast stabilizers.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #13

I use both. Carrying the standard plastic wheel chocks don't take up an appreciable room or weight, and only take seconds to install, so I don't feel the need to do without them.

Mike
Old 08-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #14
Dryflycaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
I had the same thought about using my drill on the XChocks. No Go. Not enough room between wheel well top and xchock nut to get a drill in there. 2nd issue is that it requires more torque than the drill, that I carry around in the TT, can generate.
Thanks for the info.

I have a right angle adapter I picked up at Harbor freight for drilling in tight spaces and I thought I would give it a try. I don't know if my drill (18V Hitachi ) has enough umph to get it done. That would be part of the trial and error process. It does do a a pretty good job with the Stabilizers.

_bill

Old 08-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #15
Multi-Slacker

I tried a small Milwaukee right angle adapter. It was difficult to hold on the nut and the Horrible Freight drill would not spin while engaged. That is as far as I have gotten.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #16

As above poster(s) stated, there has been a lot of yes vs. no answers. Also, I read the mfr’s paper from inside the box, as stated above, mfr says NO.

I have noticed a bit of wheel rotation as the trailer tongue is moved up and down, so the x-chocks and your tires will be much happier if you install them after front/rear leveling. Of course, side to side leveling is done first.

I have been camping for many decades and just bought the x-chocks. It does steady the trailer a lot. Also, my front and rear “stabilizer scissors” do little/nothing to prevent front/rear motion.

I do use a 2x4 with a 45 degree bevel as a tire chock. The last rubber triangles were bought from Harbor Freight and stunk. Could not stand to have them in the TV or in the TT belly.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #17
Dryflycaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I always chock with heavy rubber triangular chocks, then level, then install the X-chocks. I've found that the wheels shift as the trailer is being leveled so I wait until I've leveled the trailer before installing them.

For me, their purpose is to reduce movement forward/backwards when we're in the trailer, not to secure the trailer from rolling away, although they can do that. If you want to completely eliminate movement, you'll need to install something like JT Strong Arms or SteadyFast stabilizers.

Thanks for your view point and info.

With wheel chocks in place, I have never noticed the camper moving a appreciably amount during leveling, but I suppose it has to move a little. I did witness one on our last trip that was being leveled, the stabilizers were set with no wheel chocks in place and the camper moved forward enough for the tongue jack to slip off the wooden spacers. It bent the front stabilizers up pretty good. He managed to remove each one and get them straight again but who needs that extra work at the camp ground ?

I am not to concerned about the stability/bounce. Some people can live with a little more bounce than others. I am more interested eliminating any possible rolling and the locking the camper in place.

I'm no too sure this X-Chock thing is such a good idea (just a brain phart I had). They might not be worth the money or the bother. The standard Triangles do a good job and aren't that difficult to put in place.

_bill

Old 08-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #18
Grammar Pedant

As has been stated many, many times before: According to the manufacturer, X-Chocks are not a chocking device. They are a stabilizing device.
  1. Park
  2. Level side-to-side
  3. Chock wheels
  4. Level front to back
  5. Drop 4-corner stabilizers
  6. Install X-Chocks

Are you asking if X-Chocks are an approved device for chocking? If so, then the answer is a clear, objective NO.

Are you asking if people have previously used X-Chocks as a device for chocking? If so, then the answer is a clear, objective YES. People have used metal forks to clear blockages in home 120 VAC outlets. People dump buckets of hot water on their frozen windshields to thaw the ice.

Cheers.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #19

No .... chock - level - x-chock ... period ... Just Saying ... going for some pop-corn
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #20
Dryflycaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
As has been stated many, many times before: According to the manufacturer, X-Chocks are not a chocking device. They are a stabilizing device.
  1. Park
  2. Level side-to-side
  3. Chock wheels
  4. Level front to back
  5. Drop 4-corner stabilizers
  6. Install X-Chocks

Are you asking if X-Chocks are an approved device for chocking? If so, then the answer is a clear, objective NO.

Are you asking if people have previously used X-Chocks as a device for chocking? If so, then the answer is a clear, objective YES. People have used metal forks to clear blockages in home 120 VAC outlets. People dump buckets of hot water on their frozen windshields to thaw the ice.

Cheers.

You are obviously having a bad day but I appreciate you taking the time to provide some info, as glib as portions of your response happens to be. I could care less if they are approved or not for chocking purposes. I am more interested in how people use them, their opinion and the end result (good or bad).

Thousands upon thousands of things have been invented for one purpose and have been used for something entirely different. Some with good and some with not so-good or even disastrous results

_bill