Old 02-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #1

2008 Berkshire 360QS - Slide Seals Leaking

Anyone else having rain leakage problems around the slide seals? At what age do they deteriorate to the point that they should be replaced? There are no physical signs of cracking. Our coach is level, but we're getting rain around a couple slides - especially when it's a bit windy. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeep Liberty Toad
JohnKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Not a berkshire, but I recently had some water issues around my seals. Turned out that the seal was leaking between where it attached to the trailer. It looked intact but the sealant was pulled away. This allowed the water to get behind the seal not under it.

How top of seal looked, ok to me...

Once sealant was removed.. asy access right behind seal.

Slide in or out and it leaked, made no difference.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #3

Great info, thanks. I'll dig a little deeper.
Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 02-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #4

I get similar leaks if the slide seals don't "flip" when the slides are out. I'll use the awning rod to flip the seals, or just before full slide extension I will push them out with my fingers from the inside then finish extending the slide.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #5

Yes, checking the seals to ensure they're uniformly 'flipped' is something I watch too. Been cautiously using the awning rod (with some black tape around the end to help prevent scratches). Hadn't thought about doing that from the inside. I'll add that to my bag of tricks. Thanks!

BTW, don't suppose you've ever run across a guy named Rick Viehe in your neck of the woods? He used to hang his hat in the Carmel Fire Department, but has moved away from the area. Just curious.
Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 02-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #6

Getting the seals from the inside will also get the inner seal, there are two layers. Never met Rick Viehe, and I guess I have been fortunate to only have need of CFD once.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #7

Have the same problem on my Berkshire have to always flip the seals out I use my boat hook has a rubber coated hook on the end with a nice. Round ball at the end it also is collapable goes from 4 foot to 8 foot you can get at any boat store or Amazon
Old 02-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #8

I too flip the seals outward from inside with the slide about 3/4 the way out. You can reach in with your hand and flip the seal out, or use a flexible yard stick which I prefer. I generally do the top half of the seals from the inside and the bottom half if needed from the outside.
Hank
Old 02-06-2016, 10:24 PM   #9

Keeping the seals lubricated seems to help. Baby powder works good and you can also buy the lubricant sold at the RV stores or Wall mart. This seems to keep them more flexible to they will fold out somewhat easier instead of getting stiff so the do not bend as easily as they should I to watch them to ensure that they are flipped out when the slides are extended.

Brandon2
Sunseeker 2500TS
Old 02-10-2016, 08:02 PM   #10

water water everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKen View Post
Anyone else having rain leakage problems around the slide seals? At what age do they deteriorate to the point that they should be replaced? There are no physical signs of cracking. Our coach is level, but we're getting rain around a couple slides - especially when it's a bit windy. Thanks for any suggestions.
All slide WILL LEAK at some point if you do not take very good care of the seals and glides that the factory provides.
If you read your owners manual they all go into some degree of telling you all the work that must happen to stop the intrusion of water.
If you look around the internet you can find tons of pictures of ruined rv's from lack of maintenance by the owner weather it be a slide or the roof.
So if you do not know or are not willing to do the work you must take it in to a rv shop and have them fix/ repair the seal or the slide to stop the water as it will ruin your coach.
Happy Camping

silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire, leak, slide