Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

2008 Berkshire Cruise Control

Anyone have their Cruise Control stop working? Everything else is fine. No codes in diagnostics.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

Not yet. I'm sure you checked the fuse.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #3

Over the years I have answered hundreds of questions for fellow Berkshire owners helping them out. I have asked perhaps five questions myself and never gotten any responses. After 70 views only Phil offered an idea on this problem. It is sort of sad the people on this forum appear to be takers and not givers.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #4

I'm also surprised no other help. So I assume it wasn't a fuse? Lol

Old 06-12-2016, 11:28 PM   #5

Does the green cruise indicator on dash display illuminate? If not, second question is irrelevant, but if indicator lites, does idle up function work?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Over the years I have answered hundreds of questions for fellow Berkshire owners helping them out. I have asked perhaps five questions myself and never gotten any responses. After 70 views only Phil offered an idea on this problem. It is sort of sad the people on this forum appear to be takers and not givers.

I wish I could of helped you silver. Just have no clue on a cruise control issues.??

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:21 AM   #7

Silver it wasn't personal I've only had my Berk for a year and only 4 trips during that time so I haven't had much time to break a lot of stuff yet.

Wayne
Old 06-13-2016, 06:36 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

If all goes well with Laura's surgery, I will be a Berkshire 40A owner next year.

Might take me a while to get up to speed on the Berkshire; it is a pretty complicated beast.

Already have a large Berkshire section in the "Herkbrary" but a review of what could have become disconnected and where in the wiring harness it could be eludes me.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:44 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

I found some posts on a trucking site (Freightliner) that might help:

Find the air system manifold. On this manifold there are 5 or 6 switches that look like automotive oil pressure sending units. These could be your problem. They're $9 a piece and I've dealt with a truck that didn't have cruise going down the highway but did parked and I've also dealt with a truck that had an audible air leak. Replacing these switches fixed those problems.

Another suggestion had to do with the speed sensors; there are two. One is dedicated to the speed control and the other to the speedometer. Swapping the wires on them may help isolate the problem.

Brake pedal switch; If the pedal is not returning all the way up for some reason, the speed control will be locked out.

Another suggested grounding cables between cab and frame could be corroded and you could be losing your ground connection.

Hope these help you troubleshoot ...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:50 AM   #10

Quote:
I casually scanned through your thread starter history and appears every one of your starter posts have numerous responses. This thread asks if anyone ever had their cruise control go out. Were you looking for a lot of "no's" and "yes's"? You didn't ask for any specific help and it would appear that the cruise control has not been an issue for anyone else. Just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:11 AM   #11

Silver:

I know you have helped me often in the past, and I read your post soon after you posted it.

Since I didn't have a clue of what could be wrong, I didn't respond and clutter up the thread.

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
If all goes well with Laura's surgery, I will be a Berkshire 40A owner next year.

Might take me a while to get up to speed on the Berkshire; it is a pretty complicated beast.

Already have a large Berkshire section in the "Herkbrary" but a review of what could have become disconnected and where in the wiring harness it could be eludes me.
Man, once we get Herk in a Berk we will have a master diagnostician on board!

Here's hoping all goes well with Laura's transplants!

Silver, I'm with Lou - this is obviously a chassis problem -- my problem is I am lost at this point. Check Lou's suggestion and also give Freightliner's 24/7 call line a call and ask for help from them. Call: 1-800-FTL-HELP.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #13

Bob,
You just edged me out! I was going to suggest that he call 1-800-FTL-HELP as well. That, in my opinion, would next place to go since no one on the FORUMS seems to have had this issue.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Bob,
You just edged me out! I was going to suggest that he call 1-800-FTL-HELP as well. That, in my opinion, would next place to go since no one on the FORUMS seems to have had this issue.
LOL gotcha by 3 min Tom
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:07 PM   #15

I went to Freightliner help first. They had no idea.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:25 PM   #16

Quote:
I went to Freightliner help first. They had no idea.
Really!! They couldn't help at all? That's strange!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #17

The guy I spoke to said take it to a shop to be hooked to a computer.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:25 PM   #18

I had problems with the display unit on my 2008 38QS. The turn signals would not work reliably and the unit would not remember anything (trip info, etc.) when the ignition was turned off. My service guy (I wasn't at home when it started happening) suggested plugging and unplugging the rear connectors - which did not cure the problem.

I solved the turn signal problem by spraying the pins of the rear connectors with contact cleaner and then plugging and unplugging them a few times. To fix the "remembering" required me to dismantle the unit and do the same with the internal connectors.

It all works just fine now.

Could be your problem as all the sensors that others have mentioned communicate with the controller through the connectors.
retasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by retasker View Post
I had problems with the display unit on my 2008 38QS. The turn signals would not work reliably and the unit would not remember anything (trip info, etc.) when the ignition was turned off. My service guy (I wasn't at home when it started happening) suggested plugging and unplugging the rear connectors - which did not cure the problem.

I solved the turn signal problem by spraying the pins of the rear connectors with contact cleaner and then plugging and unplugging them a few times. To fix the "remembering" required me to dismantle the unit and do the same with the internal connectors.

It all works just fine now.

Could be your problem as all the sensors that others have mentioned communicate with the controller through the connectors.

Nice first post. Welcome.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #20

Well, except for the typo "38QS"

It is actually a 390QS.
retasker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire