Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Question 2008 Bershire 39QS-40

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am looking for opinions on a 2008 Berkshire 39qs-40 with regards to reliability and overall satisifaction.

What happened is I was looking to trade my 99 Dutch Star DP on a 2005 Fleetwood Discovery the dealer had listed, however it just didn't leap out and thrill me.

Just before I left they said they had just recieved a 2008 Bershire the night before, was I interested? I had a good look inside and out, but it was not ready for a test drive yet.

The price is just a touch high for my comfort zone, but I really do like the looks of the MH althoug the DW is not overly thrilled with the color scheme inside.

I figured this is the best place to the get an owners view of the overall quality and craftmanship of the 2008 Berkshires. There doesnt seem to be a lot out there otherwise.

So please pass on your experiances with both the 2008 Berkshire and the Forest River experiance overall. What should I be on the look out for for any known issue?

Also any idea where I can find any owners manuals? Are any online?

P.S just spent the last two days travelling 600+ miles looking at MH's and this is the only one so far that impressed me. If opinions are postive, I may go travel another few hundred miles back next week for a final look/test drive before I commit.

cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Future Berkshire Owner
A suggestion: make sure the DW is happy with the color scheme or she'll be less than thrilled every time she looks at it...which will be quite often if its the interior!! We bought a unit that was the only color we did NOT want because it was the only 390BH-60 color available in the country at that time. If we had been willing to wait another couple months, we would not have a feeling of disappointment every time we look at the coach.
Just google the model number and year and see if there are any others out there. You might even find one with a price that will make you happier.
Unfortunately I can't give you much info on the 2008s. What I would say is that you should ask if the chassis is also a 2008. Sometimes manufacturers use older chassis and then put the fresh model year on the a 2011 coach might have a 2009 chassis!

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
I think that if you go with the Berkshire that you will be happy with it. We have had ours for almost 5 years now and have been very pleased with it. Have had some minor issues that were taken care of under warranty but overall, we really like the coach. As joker mentioned, sometimes manufacturers use older chassis for the coaches. Saw this first hand about 2 weeks ago. Was at Boat n Rv in South Carolina and saw a 2013 Charleston. When we looked closely, the chassis was made in the fall (forget exactly what month) of 2011 and the coach was built in June of 2012.
Forest River has been very responsive to any issues related to the coach. One item to look for is make sure that the transfer switch recall was done. This should have been taken care at no cost because it was a recall.
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
We currently own and 2012 Berk 390BH-60 and our prior MHs we a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery as well and a Triple E.

To be completely honest, the workmanship of the Berk is not as good as either the Discovery or the Triple E. That being said, we are extremely please with our Berk. When we were looking to upgrade, we wanted a MH with bunks to facilitate easy travel with the kids. The New Fleetwood Discovery was one of the units that we looked at. Although is was very nice, we could not justify spending the huge difference in price.

Having had RVs for many years, one thing that we have learned is that floorplan and storage are key. These are two things can , for the most par, can not be changed ... and will be a constant source of irritation if they do not fit your need.

Upholsty color and fabric is something chat can be change for not a whole bunch of money. When we purchased our used Discovery, my wife almost talked me out of it due to an extremely ugly floral fabric on the couched and dinette. We had the couch and dinette reupholstered in distressed leather as well as having all foam replaced and upgraded for about $3000.

The Berk is a great unit for the price. Find a floor plan you like ... in a price that works and go for it.

Good Luck
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Berkshire 390QS
Have 2009 390QS, purchased new in 2010. Great layout for just the two of us. Since Oct 2011 been as far north as Alaska, and as far south as Key West. Driven over 24,000 miles. The workmanship is not the best and once all the new coach bugs were worked out found to be a great unit. Spend about 7 months a year traveling
2011: 54 days, 2012: 218 days, 2013: 175 days, 2014: 196 days
2015: 188 days, 2016: 72 days,
2009 Berkshire, 390QS, and toad
NO3putt is online now   Reply With Quote