Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #1

2011 390BH (Just Bought) need some help!

We just purchased a very clean 2011 390BH-40 and was going to take our first short trip today when we encountered:

1. The keys we were given to the fuel doors will not open the fuel doors. We had to have a locksmith come to the truckstop to try to open the doors. He went through what looked like a ring of 100 keys that looked like mine, but could not open the doors. He even tried to hand make a key which was cool to watch but no luck. He ended up picking it and we just have it unlocked at the moment. Where can I find a replacement set of locks/keys for these. They look pretty standard. Stupid me though I forgot to have him pick the driver side fuel door, so I am hoping I dont have to pay to pick that one too. Any ideas on how to get it to open?

2. Inverter/Generator confusion. When I check the house batteries using the inside panel it says they are full. With the vehicle off and generator off I touch the center button on the Magnum panel to turn on the inverter and the inverter light is green however I can not use any outlets. Am I doing something wrong? The generator has 115 hrs on it and we were running it and when we hit 1/4 tank of gas it shut down and the light was blinking 3 times then off for about 3 seconds, then blinking 3 times, etc. We finally filled up with fuel since we got the door open and drove to our towns walmart. I then restarted the generator and its running just fine. What happend?

3. To bunk dvd player flickers blue while a DVD is playing. Is that a faulty wire from the monitor to the head unit? Is it easy to 'fish' new lines from the head unit to the monitor?

Sorry for so many questions. We were so excited to go on our first short trip and just hit a wall of issues and we are at this moment just relaxing in the walmart parking lot!
jakedempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #2

2011 390BH (Just Bought) need some help!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new to you MH.

I am not sure where to get locks or keys for the fuel doors but you could try calling FR parts to start with.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with the inverter but I believe the only sockets with power while running the inverter are the ones for the entertainment center.

Your generator will shut down with 1/4 tank a fuel, it's some kind of safety feature. I would guess it's in place to leave you enough fuel to get to a fuel station.

Don't let these problems ruin your trip. Carry on, these are not major problems. I would refer to them as "little potatoes" lol
Old 06-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #3

Another question: When the generator is first turned on the Magnum console shows "Bulk" then after a minute or two it goes to "Absorb". Its been running for 1hr now and does not go to "Float". Is that the proper behavior?

How can I test to make sure the Inverter works? When I turn on the inverter from the Magnum panel the Inverter light illuminates but I'm not sure what to do to make sure it is working.

Also, are you saying that the AC etc can not be run on the Inverter. Is there a way I can find out what actually does/does not run on the inverter?
Old 06-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #4

If your gas doors are like mine, they use what is called a CH751 key.
That is the same key as most RV's storage compartments. Really, ask anyone with an RV to borrow their storage key and see if it fits.

The generator is designed to stop at 1/4 tank so that you do not run your tank dry and can still start your motorhome.

There was a thread about the inverters recently. I believe that on the 2011 the only things the inverter would operate is the televisions and residential fridge if you have one.

I do not have bunks, but surely the DVD issue is just a loose wire. Have you checked to see if the connectors are tight?

EDIT: No the AC will not run on the Inverter....on any regular RV.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #5

Ok, with the inverter on, I can power up the TV and all the interior lights will also come one. I am not sure if the lights use the engine batteries or house batteries but I am sure the TV is using the inverter. The AC thermostat is on when the inverter is on, but the AC wont power on. The double door (not quite a residential like the 2014 but not a small single door fridge) has the Auto light and LP light on when the inverter is on. Does that mean the Fridge does not use the Inverter?
Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
Berkshire 390QS

Jake.

To help you out:
1. The inside lights are 12 volt so they don't need the inverter.
2. With the inverter on, you will have a limited outlets that work, what I did was turn on the inverter (no shore power or generator) and took a night light and tried each outlet, then you will know what outlets work. (no microwave for sure)
3. There are three lights for the battery charging, bulk, absorb, float. It would be normal for the bulk to light when when just starting generator or hooking up to shore power, after a bit will got to absorb, and then float. The 3 stages of charging. Our when fully charged, all lights will be off.
4. We leave our inverter off 99% of the time unless we are making a quick stop for lunch and want to watch TV.
5. Can't help with fuel tank keys, we don't have locks.
6. Yes, the generator will stop at around 1/4 tank, that way you have fuel to get to fuel station. Our rule is start looking for fuel at about 1/2 full. You never want to run out, most people will have to call out a mechanic to get the engine started again.

Welcome to the Berkshire family. We all are happy to help, just keep the question coming.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #7

Ok I think I am ok now on the inverter. My guess is that the fridge doesn't use the inverter either since it switched to LP when the inverter was on. My wife is inside Walmart right now buying me a small night light to do the outlet test with the inverter.

The generator must have shut itself off and was just being fussy when I restarted it. It ran for 10 seconds and shut off but that could be because I tried to start it as soon as I filled up the fuel tanks. It has now been running for quite a while with no problems. So I think that one is ok now too!

Fuel door locks... I have keys for ignition, deadbolt front door, non-deadbolt front door, and storage. The keys also came with two square keys with FIC labeled on the plastic housing and EF320 on them. The locksmith tried 100 or so that looked just like them but couldnt open the locks. Maybe they just gave me the wrong keys??? We have a Lowes across the street from walmart so I'm going to hit it up tomorrow to see if I can find the 751 keys to see if they work.

Now time to play with the bunk dvd player..lol.. im sure I'll be back with another question.

Also, just want to say.. Im not comlaining.. we are in 'hog heaven' and LOVE our 390BH!!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #8
Berkshire 390QS

Jake, what brand fridge? Sounds like it is a dominic fridge since there is an LP light on it. If so it will not run on the inverter, you will need shore power or generator running for it to be on electric. There should be a button that says AUTO, with that button pushed, it will default to LP.
Your lights, and all the other 12 volt items run off you house batteries. (roof fans as an example)

The following need generator or shore power to run
Air conditioners
Micro wave
Furance
Hot water when on electric (will work on LP without shore power/generator)
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:35 PM   #9

Yup, its a Dometic Fridge (elec/lp). I do have it set on Auto right now.. I think I got the fridge figured out! You are all very helpful.. Thanks so much.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #10

Jake,
Congrats on your Berkshire and welcome to the Forums! You probably have a 1500 watt inverter in your coach. With that size inverter, it will be wired so that only a few things will run off it. I had a 2000 watt inverter in my '08 and the same in my '14. Both coaches are wired to power all the outlets, the microwave and residential refrigerator. So, as you can see, size does matter (LOL!!).
Good luck and hope you have many memorable, fun, and trouble free trips with your coach.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #11

Congrats on a new rig! Watch "Phil57" posts (and read his older ones,) he's got a fair bit of knowledge on the specifics of the 2011 models

Gottawonder
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #12

Welcome! You will find a lot of answers on this forum. Have fun.
Debbie
Old 06-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #13

Welcome. Gottawonder is way overestimating my knowledge but thanks. I don't think that we as a group solve all our issue but we come close. Someone has had the sMe problem you will encounter so ask away. If you are close check into the FROG rally in Goshen IN. We will have 20 Berkshire their plus lots of other FR family. Great place to get things fixed and meet friends. Check the web site

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #14

Phil.. Can you help with my fuel door question. Do they use a standard key? None of my keys open it and I had to get a locksmith to pick it.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #15

http://www.southco.com/product/default.aspx?hid=0
I believe this is the company that makes the lock. This is a picture of my gas key. Both sides. If you bought from a dealer they may still have them. I keep mine separate with my gloves. Maybe hiding in a cabinet over the door or something. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402018094.736447.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	644.6 KB
ID:	54444Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402018118.903832.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	618.1 KB
ID:	54445

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #16

I can buy a ch751 replacement key.. Mainly wanted to make sure that was the one.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #17

My 2014 berkshire fuel door also uses the same key.....

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #18

That's the same key I have also, but mine doesn't have that fancy smancy plastic on it......lol
Old 06-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #19

Thanks so much everyone .. Posting a new question in minute.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #20

Ok so when driving at night the digital dash display seems to have a night mode but it will flicker to bright then night mod. Is that "normal".

Tags
390bh