Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
2011 Berkshire 390BH

2011 390BH Sensor Panel Problem

We've owned our 2011 390BH for over a year now and lived full-time in it for 4 months or so last winter. What fun, really!! I've learned a lot. However, one item has never worked since we bought the RV . . . the sensor panel that's to report the status of black, grey, and drinking water tanks, along with the LP gas. It always show all four them as full, even after they've been emptied. Lights up real pretty, but no useful information.

This hasn't be a real problem, as long as we've a full hook-up, but is a pain when we've only electric and water (no sewer) or boon docking. What could be causing ALL sensors to react this way??
daverule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-02-2018, 06:02 AM   #3

I would 1st check for loose ground wiring- that can cause problems. Or if its never worked it may be miss wired.

My black tank is always a problem but other sensors seem ok not great.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:45 AM   #4

Hello Dave. I have had several RVs over the years and now on our second Berk. We (and many others) have had issues numerous times over the years with the blank tank sensors. “Stuff” tends to get stuck on the sensors/side of the tank providing inaccurate readings, but I do not recall seeing issues with all 4 of the sensors/indicators. Like dave-g mentions, could definately be a ground problem, bad/loose grounds can cause all kinds of havoc in these “rolling earthquakes”. If you are going to start some troubleshooting I would first pull the panel out of the wall and look for anything that might be obvious behind the panel (loose plug, etc...). If nothing there I would then contact FR and see if you can obtain information about where the ground for the panel/system is. There are many places it could be and finding it would be difficult. If you are really interested in knowing accurate levels of all of your tanks there are a few aftermarket/easy to install systems available that folks have used. One of the more popular systems appears to be the “SeeLevel” system. Lots of folks have posted good results with that one. From what I have gathered it is easy to install and not as finicky as the installed system. -Glenn
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #5
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
If nothing there I would then contact FR and see if you can obtain information about where the ground for the panel/system is.
I would be highly surprised if you got an accurate answer that way. I suggest following the wire....which may be hard. You MAY have to cut the wire and put a signal on it to try and find on the other side of wherever you can't get to it.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #6

The sensors for the Black, gray and fresh water tanks are notorious for not being accurate. To me, most important is black tank. I keep a small flashlight so I can check if it's really 3/4 filled or not by looking when I flush. Gross but gives me a better idea if I need to dump.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:24 PM   #7
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaB View Post
Gross
Why? You made it.....
Old 12-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #8

since day one, I've never relied on my tank sensors - you develop better indications over time, like when you see that the 'black' water level is right below the gravity drop tube below the toilet when you open the flap, when you see the 'gray' water level backing up into the shower, and by looking on the passenger side water bay at the water tank for the 'fresh' water.
Now, every coach can be different - and your indicators will change accordingly.

for the Propane, since we use so little, and I've only refilled my tank ONCE in over 4 1/2 years, I don't worry about it unless I think I'm going to be off-grid for a whole winter, otherwise we use electric floor heaters when on Shore power.

enjoy! : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Thanks all. I've now been on the phone and exchanged emails with FR; friendly folk. They believe that, given the age of the coach, that the circuit board component that begins with SUBPCMB is bad. This coming weekend I'll pull the panel forward and get that specific part number, get a replacement from FR, and then see if it works!

I also appreciate the "flash light" methods etc. And yes, we've experienced the gray water backing up in the shower, or as I call it "the scream" (coming from wife or daughter) <lol>
Old 12-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #10
Dragonship Captain

For those that have the macerator toilet in the back, the flush button will turn amber when it gets close to full, and then turn red when full. I don't know if it will not flush at that point. But the amber indication is pretty accurate, and apparently does NOT get it's data from the same sensors as the idiot panel.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
For those that have the macerator toilet in the back, the flush button will turn amber when it gets close to full, and then turn red when full. I don't know if it will not flush at that point. But the amber indication is pretty accurate, and apparently does NOT get it's data from the same sensors as the idiot panel.
Defininitely different sensors for the lights on the macerator flush panel. I know that for a fact because my last coach (2013) had the sensors for the rear macerator on the grey tank when it left the factory and I had to move them to the black tank where they are supposed to be. Really amazing that the tech that installed that part of the system did not know the black tank from the grey tank. It gave me a great indication of when my grey tank was getting full though!
Pacific Northwest
Old 12-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #12
Dragonship Captain

Oh that's rich. Another "Elkhart special"...... Glad you got it figured out. So, what type of sensors were they?
Old 12-08-2018, 07:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Oh that's rich. Another "Elkhart special"...... Glad you got it figured out. So, what type of sensors were they?
They were just 1 inch by 1 inch stick on external sensors (3 of them). Easy to move, just had to be careful getting them off the grey tank so they didn’t crack.
Pacific Northwest
Old 12-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #14

2011 390BH Sensor Panel Problem

I like the scream. I guess it depends on when during the shower it’s noticed happened just once and luckily at the end. I tried to snap a pic of our tub/shower. Caught it after he opened the grey. Ours is an 11 390rb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2824.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	192819  
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
390bh, 2011