Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

2011 Berkshire Intermittent Starting issue

Looking for ideas, suggestions.
My Berkshire has an intermittent starting issue. It may or may not spin the starter when the key is rotated (clockwise) to the start position. No sound, not a click...nothing.
I can rotate the key (counter clockwise) to the accessory position then back to the start position and the starter spins and the engine will start.

The ignition switch has been replaced, the same issue occurs.

Pat
cudntherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #2

That's an odd one. Maybe a short or ground fault in the wires. Did Cummins or Freightliner change the switch?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #3

Cajun,
I changed the switch myself after emailing a FCCC Representative.

The local dealer had 7 switches in stock. Wrong assumption on my part that a new switch would fix the problem.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Cudntherd, Mine has done the same thing periodically. Scared me the first time, as I thought I was stuck. It has been going on for almost a year, but as I noted, not all the time. Craig

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #5

SC,
Thanks for the reply, that makes me feel better.

We purchased this RV in 2011, until now this RV has been almost flawless.

We are leaving next week for Phoenix area. Plan to be there for about two weeks.

I assume you are retired USN. I worked 7 years Civil Service for the Navy. I worked for some great Chief's ,Sr. Chiefs and Master Chief.

I retired from LM (the Aircraft manufacturer) in March 2014.

Pat
Old 11-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #6

Has anyone figured out the problem? Mine just started doing this and I took it to the garage and they don't have any ideas after checking the obvious. Thanks!
heish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #7

I suggest calling the FL hotline @ 1-800-FTL-HELP. They have helped me in the past with some minor issues.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #8

I sent and email to FL and they sent me the ignition/starter wiring diagram. We had to leave on a trip to Az and did not have time to troubleshoot the system. When we return to Texas next week I will troubleshoot the wiring.
If you find the cause of the problem please let me know.
FL also suggested I take the RV to a FL dealer for trouble shooting and repair
Pat
Old 11-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #9

It seems like this is a known problem. I've been trying to search for schematics but to no avail. The garage I have it at needs them, and they can't find anything. However, I was searching to see if maybe there was a recall on this model, and found this interesting tid-bit which included my 2011 390bh
Here is the link http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...intVersion=YES
Manufacturer (s) :
Forest River, Inc.
Component(s) :
UNKNOWN OR OTHER
Date Investigation Opened : September 30, 2014Date Investigation Closed : Open Summary:
A review of NHTSA's early warning reports (EWR) database shows that Forest River has not provided NHTSA with any information regarding claims related to deaths and injuries involving the company's vehicles or any information regarding property damage claims, warranty claims, consumer complaints and field reports as required by regulation. It also appears from a search of NHTSA's databases that Forest River may have failed to submit to NHTSA quarterly reports on the company's progress completing safety recalls. Forest River may have also failed to comply with other recall-related requirements, including by failing to include required language in its recall notices to dealers and by failing to submit other recall-related communications to NHTSA. NHTSA is also investigating other potential violations of the Safety Act. This audit query is opened to identify any violations of the Safety Act, their potential impact, and implement
Old 11-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #10

Heish,
You can call or email FL customer service and request the wiring schematic for Ignition/starter system. They will generally respond to email in one day.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #11

Thanks! I have the number to my mechanic to call. We'll see how they make out. I'm still wondering if FR is aware that this is a known problem or not?

Tags
2011, berkshire