Old 01-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #11
Use a seven pin plug and you will have one hot you can use as a battery charge wire. That way you are charging your battery as you tow it. I believe all tow installations should include a battery charge wire.

jamesrnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #12
Towed Battery Charger

Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post

Anyone install a switch to keep the battery from drawing down while towing ? I need to look into that.
Nice job on the base plate. When I installed mine, I was concerned that I would boil my car battery dry if I hooked it directly to the motorhome chassis battery. After all, every time you start the MH engine, it will get high voltage until it recharges.

On the other hand, I've got daytime running lights on my toad and they drain a lot of power, but it is continuously and not just when the MH starts up.

In my experiments, I managed to kill my toad battery (but it was 10 years old, anyway). So, I now have an AGM battery in my toad, and it will handle a little more nonsense and allow a bit of deep cycling.

I have installed an RVibrake Towed Battery Charger that cost $50 from HitchSource. Other organizations seem to have competitive products. (I also am using a 6 pin to 7 pin adaptor to get the power).

I opened the case on my RVIbrake and cut away some excess silicone glue. It seems to have a little MOSFET power regulator from the STF18N65M5 family. Looking at the docs for that chip, I'm not sure whether it is limiting voltage or limiting current. I think that a plain vanilla MOSFET limits voltage.

At any rate, the RVI brake seems to work OK. It doesn't let my battery run down, even though the daytime running lights are probably drawing about 50 watts or so.

Gordon Sick, Calgary
2015 Berkshire 34QS
2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #13
We have a 2007 CR-V toad, and do not use a disconnect switch. We do have a folding solar panel that lays across the dash and plugs into the outlet to help charge the battery. Works terrific. Make sure all accessories are turned, radio, etc.
lsauer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:54 AM   #14
On my instructions, #10 should be "Plug the fashioned wire into the non-hot (load side) of the empty fuse socket".

Also, remember when towing your Honda to shut off the heater/AC and seat warmers if you have them.
Gale & Hank- 2012 Berkshire 390BH
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Dc8mdtmech View Post
No problems with discharge on my 09 Element, just remember to put the key in ACC, not on. Don't forget the aux brake, most states require it. Mine is an Invisibrake and works perfectly.
On my Acura (Honda Civic), the steering is locked unless I put the ignition switch to on. ACC doesn't work. That puts on my daytime running lights (I'm in Canada), and that can give the battery drain. The DRL are probably on a circuit breaker rather than a fuse, but I haven't played with that.

Of course, the CRV and Element may be different. And, starting in 2015, the only towable Honda is the manual FIT.

Gordon Sick, Calgary
2015 Berkshire 34QS
2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote