Old 05-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #1

2013 or older weight question

Hello all, I read an earlier post and became very concerned with the weight capacity of my 2013 390BH. I have the 340HP and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 27,910lbs. Added the advertised towing weight (5000lbs) that puts you at 32,910lbs. The Gross Combined Weight is 33,000lbs. So basically, if you tow 5000lbs, that leaves you with a whopping 90lbs to squeeze all your stuff into. Talked to FR and Freightliner and they both acknowledge that there isn't much to play with. FL was the most help and explained the difference on the new 2014's very well. Basically FR ordered beefed up chassis' for 2014. Both tires and axles. Has anyone else talked to FR about this and what kind of response did you get? I spoke with Randy Houser and he is supposed to research my RV by VIN# and tell me what it actually weighed when it came off the line. I wonder how many of us are driving 1000lbs + overweight and don't know it. JJ

Old 05-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Do these motorhomes come with yellow stickers like trailers do? It would tell you the weight coming off of the line:

Yellow Sticker for 2012 Sabre 36QBOK-7

But, I'm curious as to why you want to know that?

Otherwise, did you get your rig weighed? Do you know your actual weights?

Old 05-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #3

I'm curious for a few of reasons. First, we added a stackable washer/dryer to the rear bedroom closet. Second, I don't want to drive/tow overweight and put a huge load on the tranny. I'm sure what I take with me on a normal outing will not stress the MH at all. I'm worried about our planned lengthy trips west of the rockies where I will be taking extra items. Lastly, I'm concerned why FR beefed up the chassis from Freightliner when they made no discernible changes to the 2014 Berkshire models. Why increase the cost to produce when you don't have to unless there is something else? JJ
Old 05-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Makes sense. Have you gotten your current setup weighed? I think that might be more useful to know vs. the weight it was when it came off of the factory floor.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Berkshire 390QS

Our 2009 390QS loaded with cloths, food, full fuel and 1/3 full water last time weight was 27,500 lbs. This incluedes the washer combo, satellite dish that was added after it left the factory. We tow a small car, 2,800 lbs so we are at around 30,300 lbs. Don't know the differences in the models as to why it seams the bunk house weights more.
Skip
NO3putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJvike View Post
I'm curious for a few of reasons. First, we added a stackable washer/dryer to the rear bedroom closet. Second, I don't want to drive/tow overweight and put a huge load on the tranny. I'm sure what I take with me on a normal outing will not stress the MH at all. I'm worried about our planned lengthy trips west of the rockies where I will be taking extra items. Lastly, I'm concerned why FR beefed up the chassis from Freightliner when they made no discernible changes to the 2014 Berkshire models. Why increase the cost to produce when you don't have to unless there is something else? JJ
IMHO, they beefed up the 2014's because they got "caught" by a few of us. They know they had a problem with this. I'm not saying the deliberately mislead the buyers, but there was a serious problem in the department that certified the weights for EACH PARTICULAR coach (required by Federal law, I believe).

My stated empty weight on my 2011 390RB is 23270. Based upon having it scaled at a truck stop, I estimate the empty weight closer to 26270; a 3000 lb discrepancy.

FR will upgrade my tires (all around) and install beefier airbags on the front axle if I bring the coach to Elkhart or Gaffney (as my expense, I assume); this will help me on the front axle (add 1500 capacity) but will do nothing for the rear axle.

Finally, when I weighed mine two months ago with full fuel, half FW and empty GW and BW tanks I was 900 over on front and 900 over on the rear. Since My toad is only about 2600 lbs, at least I'm not over on the combined weight limit.

Boowho??
Old 06-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #7

FR will upgrade my tires (all around) and install beefier airbags on the front axle if I bring the coach to Elkhart or Gaffney (as my expense, I assume); this will help me on the front axle (add 1500 capacity) but will do nothing for the rear axle.

Who did you speak to that authorized/offered that? I know I'll be in the same boat as you when it comes to weight when I get it loaded up for a trip. I really don't like being close to the max, or over for that matter.

JJ
Old 06-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJvike View Post

Who did you speak to that authorized/offered that? I know I'll be in the same boat as you when it comes to weight when I get it loaded up for a trip. I really don't like being close to the max, or over for that matter.

JJ
Randy Houser. I believe he the MH plant manager. In general, FR is quite reliable with supporting the customers. However, they are s-l-o-o-o-o-o-w.

rhouser@forestriverinc.com

Might be better if you did NOT mention my name

At least one other user has already had the upgrade performed.

Boowho??