Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #1

2014 390BH BERK order experience

I figured I would post our order / pick up experience with for those out there with questions about ordering and what is new on the 2014 Berkshires. I personally know one of the owners of RV-Direct (Buffalo RV, Albany RV, Orlando RV and Des Moines RV) so this is the company I have bought my last two motorhomes from. I ordered my coach back in April and it took about 9 weeks to build / get delivered. Like I posted before, I was deployed to Bahrain so I had to wait until I got back to pick it up (yes it was killing me knowing my coach was ready and I couldn't pick it up)! the order experience was very simple, picked my options and colors and Buffalo RV did the rest. Once we worked out the price for my trade and new coach, they got me approved within a day with an outstanding bank and interest rate! once the coach arrived, they sent my wife all the paperwork and she signed it all and sent it back and the deal was done. I knew the date I was getting home (Thursday the 24th) so I set up my demo for that Saturday the 26th (probably not the smartest thing to do since my body was still in a different time zone, 7 hours ahead and I was struggling on the drive from VA to Buffalo) and once I arrived that Saturday morning I was greeted with a warm welcome from everyone and a big thank you for my service. Did the demo and as usual found some minor things wrong but nothing major. the demo was very very thorough and we did find some Minor paint blemishes that Forest River will fix and the big one, I special ordered two 15k A/C's and yes, they were both 13.5's!! Forrest River was great and called me on Monday to set up a place near my house to install the proper ones so again no major issues at all. I spent the night in Buffalo to make sure everything worked and it did. Drove from Buffalo to Gettysburg, PA and averaged 10.5 mpg, spent the night there and still no issues. Drove it from PA to VA and averaged 11.4mpg at about 70mph. Can't be more pleased with the coach!!! Got the coach home and now I'm still loading it up with all of our stuff. I will be taking it out this Sunday for a week to break it in some more.

So what's new, GVWR went up about 2k (GCVWR stayed the same due to the transmission) with the larger tires and suspension upgrade including larger air bags, granite table top at dinette, all tile steps at entry, wood grain dash, and larger better TV's with HDMI cables to both the living room TV's. It has a HDMI splitter in the cabinet that goes to both TV's. It also has a RCA cable input / output to all of the TV's in the coach to include the EXT one. So I had the DirecTV slimline HD Satellite antenna installed and I use the HDMI cable to get HD on the two TV's in my living room and also use the RCA cable out to feed to all of the other TV's (bedroom and EXT) works great with no issues!! They also put a blue ray player in the bedroom and a DVD player outside with the EXT ent center. The sound bar is a cheap RCA unit and I already took it out and upgraded to the Samsung sound bar with wireless sub and digital wire for sound. Sounds much better and it was an easy install.

We had a 2007 Fleetwood Southwind we traded in and can't be happier!! Drives like it is floating down the highway, little to no interior noise while going down the road, has more than enough power and very quiet and fuel efficient. Freight Liner, Cummins and Forest River built an awesome coach and we can't wait to start camping!!

Hope this helps those out there wondering how the order experience was and what is new for the 2014's.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #2

Welcome home and thank you for your service!

Hope you have many fun, trouble free and memorable trips with your new coach!!

Enjoy!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #3

I also would like to thank you for your service. It sounds like it was a very fluid process. Glad you are happy with your coach.

Now go out and enjoy it.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Incheon, S. Korea

Congrats! In the service and can afford a coach? I guess we should call you sir, 'cause no E-grades can afford those toys! LOL
Seriously, thanks to you and your unit, and congrats on the new home, errr, RV! Pictures?
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #5

Here are some pics.... The refer was an add on by me...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3377159765.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	36656

Name:	image-990239826.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	36657

Name:	image-3218606272.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	36658

Name:	image-440970061.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	36659

Name:	image-4136606439.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	36660

Name:	image-889082223.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	36661
Old 08-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Congrats! In the service and can afford a coach? I guess we should call you sir, 'cause no E-grades can afford those toys! LOL
Seriously, thanks to you and your unit, and congrats on the new home, errr, RV! Pictures?
Thank you and not a problem... I've had a pretty good career in the navy flying on the mighty MH-53E Helicopter for just over 18 years now and I've loved every minute of it!! I know this may sound crazy but I am actually enlisted... Luckily the wife has a really good job too so it makes purchases like this a lot easier...
Old 08-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Incheon, S. Korea

You speak in the past tense about the Navy. Did you kick out? I thought all pilots had to be officers. I've never been in the military, but I would guess that you are a non-com officer? My friend just made SSGT in the Air Force. I still don't understand how it all works...
I googled that rig-sheez! I costs more than our first house did!
Have fun with your new home!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #8

Quote:
You speak in the past tense about the Navy. Did you kick out? I thought all pilots had to be officers. I've never been in the military, but I would guess that you are a non-com officer? My friend just made SSGT in the Air Force. I still don't understand how it all works...
I googled that rig-sheez! I costs more than our first house did!
Have fun with your new home!
No, still active duty and retire in less than two years. I am a Naval Aircrewman which means I fly in the back of the helicopter. Didn't mean to make it seem past tense. Still enjoy it and love flying, just know that retirement is right around the corner and going to have to start a new career soon.... Nervous but excited for the next chapter in our lives.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
Incheon, S. Korea

I am amazed at how smart servicemen and women put in their twenty, get out at around 40, and start a second career. Pure genius. A lot of my USAF friends are doing that. One just got scouted out of the USAF by Amazon. He's still reserve, though.
So am I correct that only commissioned officers are pilots?
Thanks again to you and your squadron!!!!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #10

Quote:
I am amazed at how smart servicemen and women put in their twenty, get out at around 40, and start a second career. Pure genius. A lot of my USAF friends are doing that. One just got scouted out of the USAF by Amazon. He's still reserve, though.
So am I correct that only commissioned officers are pilots?
Thanks again to you and your squadron!!!!
Correct, all pilots are commissioned officers and we also have some that are warrant officers too and the enlisted personnel are the Aircrewmen / crew chiefs that fly in the back.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #11

JTN8

Good Luck on the new coach and
THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE.

AREA51
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

I too ordered from Buffalo RV while at the RV show in Harrisburg PA last September. I special ordered the 15K front A/C and low and behold, it came in with a 13.5. Buffalo RV swapped it out prior to my PDI. One can only wonder why the factory did not put them on out there.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Guy View Post
I too ordered from Buffalo RV while at the RV show in Harrisburg PA last September. I special ordered the 15K front A/C and low and behold, it came in with a 13.5. Buffalo RV swapped it out prior to my PDI. One can only wonder why the factory did not put them on out there.
Randy from Forest River called and he is sending two 15K heat pumps to a dealer close to me to install so I at least they are fixing it for me... So far with all the shades closed it has been holding good temp of 75 and A/C'a cycle with the 13.5's and outside temp of 90... So I think the 15's will really cool this off!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #14
Incheon, S. Korea

I would bet that the A/C upgrade is usually a dealer-installed option. Have you seen how fast they throw (literally)these things together? Still, at this price they should come from the factory perfect... Sigh.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #15

Quote:
I would bet that the A/C upgrade is usually a dealer-installed option. Have you seen how fast they throw (literally)these things together? Still, at this price they should come from the factory perfect... Sigh.
A/C upgrade was through Forest River when I did the special order and was on my order sheet that they approved. That is why they are sending the new A/C'S and the dealer is not liable for the mess up.... And you are right, it should have come perfect but knowing that this has been my 5th camper I realize and expect that I will have a few mistakes or fixes.... As long as they fix it and make it perfect, I'll be a happy camper!!!! Lol!!

Tags
390bh