Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2019, 08:19 PM   #1

2014 Berk 390FL has sprung a leak!

Heavy rain in AZ (who knew in the winter?) and water leaking in front drivers side windshield area, aka front ?A pillar area (dripping from white pad next to windshield onto night shade to dash)and side window to front side window track. Rig parked and leveled at this time. Drivers side upper window seal leak or roof leak? Will investigate when monsoon's subside. Ugh...
gregkono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
Dragonship Captain

Yes. Front cap seam or windshield. Also check all lights/antennas.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #3

I would check antenna as above suggested.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #4

thank YOU FOR THE REPLYS.....dry day today and found a crack in driver side front seam on rearward side. Lap sealant applied and all spots checked while there....
gregkono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
Dragonship Captain

Very cool..... Another possible dealer horror story averted.

As an aside.... I go up there fairly regularly. When I'm parked with slides deployed for any length of time I go up and make sure the toppers are clean before I retract the slides.

While I'm up there I pay close attention to the Dicor seals everywhere.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:19 AM   #6

Just a side bar on water leaks- last year I entered a campground at night with a 11"-5" cable tv wire and took off my tv antenna.

Upon replacing- I found the wood under the mount with some water damage. But I never had a leak ( visible water inside) and the caulk looked great.

I think it may have been leaking at the swivel joint. I only wish there was a way to inspect this area with out removing the antenna.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
I only wish there was a way to inspect this area with out removing the antenna.
Boat structures (decks, cabin sides and even hulls) are often laminate constructions, not unlike our motorhome walls, for the same reasons: Weight and streamlining of production. Except unlike our cores which are made of styrofoam or similar, boat cores are traditionally balsa wood and increasingly a variety of closed cell foams. This for strength as the load on a boat are quite a bit more than on our walls.

Like our walls and roofs, water gets in. Balsa rots quite nicely, the closed cell foam not so much, but de-lamination can and does take place.

Surveyors, the marine version of a home inspector/appraiser in one, look for this. One of the tools they have is a moisture meter. They come in a range of quality, and interpreting their readings is part science and part art. They mostly help you determine if the moisture content in one area is very different from an adjacent area. The number per se is a lot less reliable.

Here's a cheaper one:

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...moisture+meter

So, you could crawl around your roof once a year and see if there are any areas that look suspect, AND keep track of changes year over year. (Make a map with readings.....)

Don't have this added into my maintenance routine yet. But I may get bored at the 5 year mark and do some scooping up there.....

Tags
2014, leak