Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #1

2014 Berkshire 390bh-60 vs the Tiffen Allegro Red 38qba

Hello everyone, I am about to buy my first RV and I have to make a decision on which one to get. I am currently looking at the 014 Berkshire 390bh-60 vs and the Tiffen Allegro Red 38qba. I am not sure which one to get. Can anyone and everyone please help. I would really like some feedback before making my decision.

1. I can get the Berkshire 390bh-60 for $177,911 with the 360 hp diesel motor. MSRP $276,307
2. I can get the Allegro Red 38qba for 185,000 with the 340 hp hp diesel motor. MSRP $249,800

It seems the discount on the Berkshires are much better than the TIFFANS. Does this mean they are less desirable?
jsul917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
Denver, CO

potatoe, potato.

Get the one that suits you best, or use a dartboard. Both are quality units, especially at that pricepoint. And Some have had problems with either one, but most have not.

All the units today have very complex systems, get all their components from the same group of MFG's so they are more alike than different.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #3

I'd certainly go crawl around in them. I wanted the 360cummins / 3000 Allison transmission for the 10k tow rating. Never made it to Vogt (Fort Worth Tiffin dealer) but made about 4 trips over 15 months to Alvarado. I was very happy with my shopping experience there. There are a couple threads in the Berkshire section of this forum talking about upgraded GVRW for the 2014 Berkshires.

Lots of Tiffin in my neighborhood and most owners are happy to have 'em. I think I got great bang for the buck w/ the Berkshire; I felt like any improvement from the 390xx-360 was going to cost me $10-30k or more. My 2 cents.
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #4

We own a 2014 290bh-60 and although I have not seen one in person judging from the info on the internet it does not look like I would spend extra for the Tiffen. It looks very similar to the Berk. I would make sure you end up with the upgraded engine trans, for any towing requirements
dmwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #5

you asked a question I was going to post today! I do not own either- but looking at both-
I think some of the finishes in the tiffin look nicer- but not 50-80k nicer.

I have seen the Berkshire's new for a lot less than the tiffins used.

But all rv can have problems- in the end I'll most likely pick the better rv dealer over the rv. dealer support and make all the difference.
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #6

I picked up the Bershire 390bh-60 and I am very happy that I did.
jsul917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #7

I was camping in my 2011 Berkshire RB next to 2012 Tiffin Allegro Red and we got to be friendly with its owner. He let me take a tour of it and crawl around and check out his basement area. The Tiffin seems to have nicer furniture and interior but had less pass thru storage and crappy water management and propane access bays. I love the air ride on our Berk but when I asked him for details about his he was oblivious to its air ride or other specific mechanics -- he said he just bought it because it was a Tiffin.
I have felt good about our Berk ever since!
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #8

When I was in the market I looked at both. I can honestly say that the Berkshire's fit and finish was better than Tiffin. The biggest difference was when the slides were in. The Berk has way more room to move around. In the end I didn't think the overpriced Red came close to the Berk.

Tiffin's best sales pitch is the help you get from the factory. But I don't have time to spend weeks at a time in Red Bay, AL. My dealer can work on my Berk.

I also frequent the Tiffin forums. Those things are loaded with major problems. They (owners) are steady going to Red Bay to have minor and major repairs done to their MH.

The big three. Roof rails, wet bay floor and DS slide floor ROT away and have to be changed. This on 200K+ priced coaches. NO thanks.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #9

I have a 2013 390RB60. The Tiffins are nice but I just preferred the Berkshire. I do like the way the slides on the Tiffins fit when closed and I also really like their slide seals. Though I'm retired and not too far from Red Bay I wouldn't want to spent much time there either. I do most of my own repairs because we purchased our Berkshire from Lazydays about 750 miles away. Don't think I'd return there for service anyway. I only have the one experience with dealer service (at the time of delivery) and I wasn't impressed. There are many things about the Berkshire I like better then the RED. The way the wet bay is laid out, the interior finish and most importantly the price!

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
390bh, berkshire