Old 06-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
My 2013 Berk 390FL also initially had tankless water heater too hot and couldn't cool it down to a comfortable level. Then I discovered that if I stopped using an external water pressure controller the flow increased enough thru the tankless heater that I could regulate the temperature quite well. Been very pleased ever since

Southern Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
In researching water pressure regulators I found that the most common ones sold severely restrict flow. The site below has an excellent line of Watts regulators that give 4-4.5 gpm (Watts 263A) and 6-9 gpm (Watts X65BG). They are both about $90 in brass but with those flow rates may be the answer to the Girard heater issues (?).
Hope this helps.
RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV

2014 390RB-60 "The Shire"
RKC02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
Did a little further checking (in case I have the same problem when I get my coach).
The following is posted as directions to installers of the Girard heater:

Check the RV’s plumbing system/fixtures to ensure that you have a minimum of one (1) Gallon per Minute (GPM) flow from each (Hot Water) Faucet(s)/Shower(s). Fully open the "Hot" Water Faucet for this test and then do the same test with the COLD Water Faucet(s). Check using the RV’s water pump and a "shore" water source. Late model RVs normal full flow rate is usually 1.20 to 1.50+ GPM.
Check all the RV’s Hot Water Faucets and confirm it can be adjusted from a steady low flow and gradually increase to a steady full flow (critical to achieve the desired consistent temperature).
Check for sufficient 12 Volt Power (minimum of 10.5 volts to the Water Heater – 10 amp fused line).
Check Gas Pressure: required 11 – 12 WCI on the Water Heater Gas Line. Check LP pressure with of the RVs’ gas appliances (refrigerator, range/oven burners & furnace) operating/running.
If any of the above criteria is not met it may affect the performance of the Girard Water Heater in achieving and/or maintaining the desired Hot Water temperature.

So a restricted water flow due to either a faulty or low-quality regulator; water-saver features; or clogged fixtures would seem to be a prime culprit. The voltage and gas pressure requirements are less likely to cause faults but should be checked just to be sure.
I got this info from:
Note: This is a 2009 document. I couldn't find anything newer, so can only guess it applies to current models.
2014 390RB-60 "The Shire"
RKC02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
I really don't have any problems with my tankless water heater, however I learned early on that low pressure caused problems so I purchased this adjustable water pressure valve. I have it adjusted to 60# and get plenty of hot water. Nice pressure for other things too!

Marc & Jan
Molly, Abby & Katie | The Cocker K-9 Kids!|Toad 2014 Cadillac SRX
2012 Berkshire 360FWS, Brake Buddy Vantage|Wineguard Travler SK-3005
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote