Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
JEM

2014 Birkshire 360QL

Just purchased the 360QL and are on our first shake down trip. Traded in our 2011 Birkshire 390BH. The new Birkshires have changed a lot, from larger chassis, larger tires, residential refrigerator, tankless water heater, larger size TVs, more real wood in cabinets and porcelain tile floors, sun & blackout shades on all windows.

Just callled the dealer having trouble with the tankless water heater. Hot water comes on then off waiting for call back. We have had some other problems like the sofa was not bolted to floor and when you put bed out the sofa tipped forward, front electric sun and blackout shades didn't work, dealer installed another new shade and it didn't work. The third one works but not well okay for this long weekend trip new one to be installed when I get back.

Inspite of all the problems glad we purchased the 360QL, really love the floor plan and our dealer is great providing quick service. Anyone looking and any Birkshire need to talk to Dylan RV in Sewell, NJ They have great pricing.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #2

JEM,
I think I remembered reading somewhere about others having a problem with their tankless water heater. If you search the forums I'm sure you can find some posts on the topic.

Also, did you price your coach through RV.Direct also and if you did, who had the better price- Dylan or rv.direct?

Happyto hear that you like your new coach.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #3

Our first trip with our Berkshire last year with the tankless water heater did the same thing --tried to come on then shut off every time. It turned out to be just a small bees nest formed just inside the exhaust vent. It was small and not full of bees but was just enough to disrupt the exhaust air flow that it made the unit shut down each time shortly after startup. It was such an easy fix that I was almost embarrassed at having called a propane tech out to look at it. Luckily he was a friend and stopped by our campground (first trip wasnt far from home) on his way home.
Hope yours is that simple!
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #4

Ah, the old insect nest blocking the sail switch gag...classic. Those pesky pests.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #5

JEM - Congrats on your new coach!!! Did you get an extended warranty from Dylans as well?
I just bought a 390RB-60 and am battling with whether or not to get the warranty (very expensive) or try the self-insured route.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #6

JEM-

Congrats on the new coach. We also purchased our 2014 Berkshire from Dylans in late April. Jim Rush was our salesman. They are very friendly and easy to work with down there.

I looked into MHSRV and RVDIRECT before heading to Dylans . Dylans price was very close, but they put much more in my trade than the others were offering, so the bottom line number was better. They were also the closest distance wise, so it became an easy decision.

We did purchase an extended warranty as well. 6 years and 72k for about $4,500, if my memory serves me correct. Not sure who posted about a warranty being 10k, but that seems very high to me. The warranty on our previous coach was 5 years/ 60k and we paid $3,300. Different company and longer contract this time.

Haven't had a chance to try the hot water heater yet. I will soon. Funny you mention your couch wasn't bolted down because our left side booth also wiggles and needs to be bolted. My front windshield molding is also coming off and needs to be replaced. I have an appt with them in June to get some of that taken care of. Lou, the service manager, has been great to deal with as well.

Mike
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
JEM

Same pricing better trade value....biggest factor local dealer
Old 06-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
JEM

We purchased a 75K miles/7year warranty.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #9

Cant get my girard hot water heater to work either. Gas is on, hooked into shore power, water connected. When i turn on the hot water, the girard kicks on, but the water never gets hot. I have the temp control knob turned all the way up.
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

My Girard water heater is a P O S too. First trip out to S. Carolina it did not work, had to jump it out. Mobil RV service came out to repair. Trying to get my $$$ back on that from my dealer.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #11

My 2013 Berk 390FL also initially had tankless water heater issues....got too hot and couldn't cool it down to a comfortable level. Then I discovered that if I stopped using an external water pressure controller the flow increased enough thru the tankless heater that I could regulate the temperature quite well. Been very pleased ever since
Southern Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #12

In researching water pressure regulators I found that the most common ones sold severely restrict flow. The site below has an excellent line of Watts regulators that give 4-4.5 gpm (Watts 263A) and 6-9 gpm (Watts X65BG). They are both about $90 in brass but with those flow rates may be the answer to the Girard heater issues (?).
Hope this helps.
RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV
Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #13

Did a little further checking (in case I have the same problem when I get my coach).
The following is posted as directions to installers of the Girard heater:

Check the RV’s plumbing system/fixtures to ensure that you have a minimum of one (1) Gallon per Minute (GPM) flow from each (Hot Water) Faucet(s)/Shower(s). Fully open the "Hot" Water Faucet for this test and then do the same test with the COLD Water Faucet(s). Check using the RV’s water pump and a "shore" water source. Late model RVs normal full flow rate is usually 1.20 to 1.50+ GPM.
Check all the RV’s Hot Water Faucets and confirm it can be adjusted from a steady low flow and gradually increase to a steady full flow (critical to achieve the desired consistent temperature).
Check for sufficient 12 Volt Power (minimum of 10.5 volts to the Water Heater – 10 amp fused line).
Check Gas Pressure: required 11 – 12 WCI on the Water Heater Gas Line. Check LP pressure with ½ of the RVs’ gas appliances (refrigerator, range/oven burners & furnace) operating/running.
If any of the above criteria is not met it may affect the performance of the Girard Water Heater in achieving and/or maintaining the desired Hot Water temperature.

So a restricted water flow due to either a faulty or low-quality regulator; water-saver features; or clogged fixtures would seem to be a prime culprit. The voltage and gas pressure requirements are less likely to cause faults but should be checked just to be sure.
I got this info from: http://greenrvproducts.com/wp-conten...ER-GSWH-1M.pdf
Note: This is a 2009 document. I couldn't find anything newer, so can only guess it applies to current models.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #14

I really don't have any problems with my tankless water heater, however I learned early on that low pressure caused problems so I purchased this adjustable water pressure valve. I have it adjusted to 60# and get plenty of hot water. Nice pressure for other things too!

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote