Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #1

2014 Residential Fridge

For those that have the new residential fridge, have you experienced an issue with it staying closed while traveling? My whirlpool will not stay closed around sharp right hand turns and the flimsy black bungee FR provides no support. Mine actually broke, so I tossed it. I currently duct tape it closed while driving to avoid it flying open. Anybody experience this and what have you done to fix it? From what i understand, FR is now putting locks on them.
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #2

While we don't have a Berkshire we do have a Maytag (same mfgr different badge) French Door bottom freezer residential fridge and no problem with doors staying close. We have a latch for the freezer door only but never use it.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #3

Residential Fridge

I also have the residential fridge (Whirlpool-french door, bottom freezer).
Found out the hard way that it will not stay closed - lost a couple dozen eggs and had one nasty mess when it popped open last trip. Our only solution was to tie the handles together with a bungee wrapped around them. Freezer never opened, just the doors.
We also removed any heavy items from the doors in the assumption the extra weight would give the doors more momentum.

Still trying to come up with a better solution. If FR has a latch of some sort available please let us know. If I come up with a fix I will pst it as well.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
JEM

Velcor is the answer. We use a strip of velcor strap, easy and it hold doors shut
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
Velcor is the answer. We use a strip of velcor strap, easy and it hold doors shut
Yes, velcro is the way to go. I also bought some velcro straps at walmart and use them as a strap on the fridge handles to keep them closed. I also use a strap on he freezer. No issues since.
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #6

I have the same problem took a noodle from one of the grandkids the one they swim with cut it down and slid behind handles. The wife now uses them for everthing, there great just cut to the size you need.
T R Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #7

I have a 2013 Georgetown with the freezer on the bottom. Ours came with rubber bungee straps that go across the doors and the freezer.

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #8

2014 residential fridge

We are on our first trip currently and are also experiencing this problem. I had to laugh because my son and I both mentioned duct tape to fix it. If Forest River does have a fix, I'd also like to know about it.
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote