Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2014, 11:32 PM   #1

2015 38rb

We have a 2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA gasser that we like a lot. However I don't like that it's a gasser. I thought I would be fine with it for the price but I'm not. So I am looking for a smaller DP bath and a half with more sleeping space for a good price. Looked at a Winnebago Forza and Itasca Solei but don't care for the color choices and the Schwintek slides that seem to be problematic on many motor homes. This led me to the Berkshire 38RB. It seems really affordable and look nice in the pics. I have not seen one in person yet but I am only about 2 hours from MHSRV. Hopefully I can get over there in the next few weeks. I had retired in June but was asked to come back for a few months. I will be retiring again in a few days and will begin shopping in earnest. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has one or has looked at one. Also considering the 40BH XL. Doesn't have the extra bath but may have the best bang for the buck in the industry IMHO.

Thanks,

Rod R
rreichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:29 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. I don't own that particular model, but I can say you will not find more bang for the buck. The Berkshire line up uses lots of the same components as the higher priced manufacturers. I have a 2013 BH, which is comparable to the model you are looking at. I really like it, I had my share of problems, but all were taken care of.

And the XL models do have a bath & a half model. If that is what you want.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #3

We'd like both the half bath and extra sleeping space in the form of bunk beads. We need the sleeping space more than the extra bath. Seems like with the 38RB we can get both only losing on overall floor space since there are only the two slides. With the 40RB we'd get more room and the half bath but loose sleeping space. I know the 38 is a lighter chassis as well.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:08 AM   #4

I was in the same situation as you. DW and I debated the 1/2 bath vs the bunks. She won. The only problem I have is the size of the bathroom in the 390BH.

Newmar makes a couple models with both the half bath and bunks. I am currently looking into those. But their price is much more than the Berks.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #5

We went from a Tiffin Zephyr to the 2014 40BH. Love it! We knew we wanted bunks (three kids) and also thought about the Phaeton with bunks. For the price, and floor plan, we couldn't say no to the Berkshire. We are absolutely thrilled with it and the service we've received for the inevitable new coach issues.
Kelsma03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #6

Thanks for the positive comments about the 40BH. I am definitely leaning that direction. I haven't ruled out the 38RB yet either. It is $30,000 less than the 40 BH at MHSRV. I do want to get this one right. The Tiffin was our first motorhome and was a bit of a test to see if we would really like the lifestyle. After 10,000 miles since June I would say it has been a success. Even though I did a lot of research I feel like I know a lot more now and am better prepared to make a buying decision. I started my retirement again today so now will have some time to shop. We are happy enough with the Tiffin when it is parked. However even with some suspension mods I am not particularly happy with the ride and handling. Another issue is the difficulty of fueling the gasser. The fuel fill is on the rear and many gas stations don't have room for a motorhome. Even worse when towing. I assume that is not much of an issue with a DP?

It sounds like nobody has seen the 38RB yet? Once the holidays are done I will make the trek to MHSRV and check out the Berkshires. I have to get a few minor warranty items fixed on the Tiffin and have some bodywork repaired before I trade it in. Hopefully we can have a Berkshire before Spring.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #7

We have a 2014 38 RB and love it. I feel it is,the best value out there
Terrilegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilegacy View Post
We have a 2014 38 RB and love it. I feel it is,the best value out there
Great! I have a few questions if you don't mind.

How long have you had it? Is there anything design or layout wise that you don't like about it.

Is the couch a sleeper?

How does it drive?