Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #1

2015 40xl bh - "welcoming ceremony"😎😎

We have just finished the "welcoming ceremony" of our 2015 Berkshire 40xl bh

We got it in New Jersey and then we started (short drive &#128523 toward Key West Florida.

The first problem was the inability to run the internal water system, the pump works but does not produce water pressure.
U tern back to the dealer !!!
😔😔😔😔
someone forgot to close the valve of the fresh water tank (located on the right side of the water pump) - and it took time to understand why it is impossible to use the internal water system .
it turned out they forgot several things related to the preparation of the vehicle for delivery .... It happens 😳😳

On our way to Key West on the i95 near Fort Pierce Florida the power steering suddenly stopped functioning (just remember the vehicle with 2000 miles !!!!!!) 😡😡

The initial examination showed, no power steering fluid !! and underneath the front of the vehicle remains of a leak. After a few phone to forest river service center (and because of the late hour) They promised to come back to me the next day at 08:00

Of course they forgot to mention that 8:00 Texas time 😁😁 (where telephone service center is located) Never mind ,,,, It was a quiet night for our forces in a rest area off I95

At noon the next day the tow truck arrived and we were taken to
Freightliner dealer garage at Fort Pierce

It turns that steering box valve explode !!!!!!😂

It took 48 hours ( to order a new one and the busy garage )we were back on the road.

Well ,,, 😅😅

After two days the hot water system has decided to go on strike.😡

Phones back and forth with the company's technical people ,,,, and finally it was a small problem of re-start button
Small white button inside water heating box.(the procedure : open the hot water tap - push the on button - push the restart button)

There is one more small problem -the flushing of the black water tank is not working properly ,,( I had to leave something for next trip &#128521

To be continued - ,,,,,,,
Hashimshony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #2

Hashimshony,
First of all, congrats on your new Berkshire and welcome to the Forums! Sorry to hear that you had problems right out of the gate but with the exception of the power steering issue, sounds like everything else was very minor. Don't you just love the way the dealers prep the vehicle for delivery? Hopefully the rest of your trip will be safe, fun and trouble free.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #3

Welcome and congrats !!!

I have a new 2015 400QL that hasn't been on it's maiden voyage yet, but most of the internals have been tested and work fine.

We have less than 700 miles on ours, so I'm hoping we don't have any mechanical problems once we hit the road next month.

Again, congrats and may it bring you many happy memories !!

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #4

And now we move to the good things ,,,
After 3500 miles, four adults and two children (my wife, myself, my daughter, my son in law and two grandchildren) I can say without any hesitation (for now at least ��) It was a pleasure !!!

Comfortable driving and excellent maneuvering.
Fuel consumption 10-11 miles per gallon
All work well.

At below freezing (around D.C) the heating works excellent.
And in the heat of Florida the a.c. Is doing the job !!!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #5

Congrats and welcome to the forum!!! Once you get the bugs worked out i would hope and think you'll be fine and love the coach. I've had my 2014 390BH for about 1 and 1/2 years now and I love it!!!

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #6

Congrats & welcome from a fellow Garden Stater. Did you purchase from Dylan's?

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #7

Yes ,, we purchased at Dylan's and have only good words to say about them.

They did everything to help us with the problems we had .
Old 04-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #8

Preliminary conclusions for Manufacturer :
The "living room" sofa is not comfortable for sleeping my be a "Sofa Bed" ???
(or at least an annual subscription to a massage parlor��)
Old 04-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #9

Problems,problems.Bought a new 2015 Berkshire 38A in March and only at the house one week.The seal on Kitchen slide was wrong and had 2in.gap on floor.When we tried to test water system found the right manifold was cracked in a few different areas.When you turn on parking lights nothing comes on,but turn on foglights with parking light everything comes on,(reason still no here is that Freightliner cannot find replacement harness )so it sits at their repair shop.Then to top it all off when you are driving with the lights on and step on the brakes the radio turns off and the rear camera turns on,release the brake and returns to normal.How did this MH ever pass inspection at the factory.When it does get back going to have to go over this thing with a fine tooth comb to see if there are any other problems.
oldkeywest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:37 PM   #10
tvj

Hi all. I feel compelled to weigh in. I would have probably bought that 40bh from dylans but I was committed to one I had put a deposit on from hershey. Love to know what you paid. I am glad I missed the steering box issue.

Fortunately I had to take my bershire xl 40bh back to ct dealer I purchased it was too cold to paint treatment I allowed myself to get sucked into. Then we worked out many of the inital issues out.

The issues I am dealing with are as follows: the airbags do not reinflate after using the leveling system. I always must cycle back through a complete leveling and then they fill.
The hot water heater (Girard tankless) was scaulding but adjustingable while at disney world. Next stop 2 weeks later Hershey and the hot water was luke warm at best and fluctuated. Temp knob all the way up.
Many calls and minumal help I found on the web support that pressure could be a problem. I added a flow restricter and I got more heat. The Girard tech said the flow with out the restricter was fine. Tested filling a gallon jug. They are sending me a replacemet gas valve to try. Why 6 phone calls to dealer and emails to Berkshire and calls know one had a Suggestion.
Anyone like the headlights?
Diming the instrument clusters is either on or off.
Water leaking out from the wheel well above left rear wheels turned out to be shower drain was not properly connected.

Not to metion the many drawer connectors breaking or coming off.

Don't get me wrong I love my motorhome and feel I got alot for my money but getting to talk to and resove simple or difficult issues is weak. Dealer always says he will call me back in 24 hours.
tvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvj View Post
Hi all. I feel compelled to weigh in. I would have probably bought that 40bh from dylans but I was committed to one I had put a deposit on from hershey. Love to know what you paid. I am glad I missed the steering box issue.

Fortunately I had to take my bershire xl 40bh back to ct dealer I purchased it was too cold to paint treatment I allowed myself to get sucked into. Then we worked out many of the inital issues out.

The issues I am dealing with are as follows: the airbags do not reinflate after using the leveling system. I always must cycle back through a complete leveling and then they fill.
This is a safety issue with new RVs. The procedure is buried in one of the manuals that came with your coach. Without following this process, the airbags will not inflate.

Normal Use procedure:
1. Press Power (to turn on)
2. Press Auto level
3. Once level, Press power (to turn off)
4. Start vehicle (Unit will beep to let you know jacks are down)
5. Wait until Air pressure builds
6. Press all retract
7. Once final beep sounds, press power (to turn off)
8. Air bags will fill

Overnight parking in driveway, etc. This is when you are not using jacks, but you lose air and the bags won't refill. If you don't turn the system on they usually refill. If not use this method:

1. Press Power (to turn on)
2. Press Auto level
3. Immediately Press power (to turn off)
4. Start vehicle (Unit will beep to let you know jacks are down)
5. Wait until Air pressure builds
6. Press all retract
7. Once final beep sounds, press power (to turn off)
8. Air bags will fill
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvj View Post

The hot water heater (Girard tankless) was scaulding but adjustingable while at disney world. Next stop 2 weeks later Hershey and the hot water was luke warm at best and fluctuated. Temp knob all the way up.
Many calls and minumal help I found on the web support that pressure could be a problem. I added a flow restricter and I got more heat. The Girard tech said the flow with out the restricter was fine. Tested filling a gallon jug. They are sending me a replacemet gas valve to try. Why 6 phone calls to dealer and emails to Berkshire and calls know one had a Suggestion.
Anyone like the headlights?
Diming the instrument clusters is either on or off.
Water leaking out from the wheel well above left rear wheels turned out to be shower drain was not properly connected.

Not to metion the many drawer connectors breaking or coming off.

Don't get me wrong I love my motorhome and feel I got alot for my money but getting to talk to and resove simple or difficult issues is weak. Dealer always says he will call me back in 24 hours.

Took my new Berk on my first trip this past weekend I have a list of 29 items 4 safety and 25 manufactures quality issues some minor but also some major ones as well.
Of the 4 safety headlights and refrigerator retainer breaking allowing frig to tip almost falling over. Step working when it wants to is also a safety concern.
I called my dealer and unit is going back to plant today. Honestly if I could find a way to get out from under this purchase I would in a heart beat.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #13

Hi,,
After reading the last two comments ,, I feel lucky ��

First, the responses I received from the staff at Dylan's was outstanding .

When I returned with the water problem, they left everything . and checked again all the the unit.

When I got stuck with the steering box problem . in addition to the of Forest River Road Service and Freightliner Trucks service center .

I know that Dylan's guys put pressure on Forest River & freightliner and the garage I was sent to.
They were in touch with me all the time.

As for the price ,,
Since I paid cash ,,, my lips are sealed ����
Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 PM   #14

Welcome to the Berk family hash, sorry you had problems but you sure seems to have a great attitude about it. You will get lots of enjoyment out of your coach.

Many happy and safe miles.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:22 AM   #15

Hash I've had experiences with Dylan's also.

I thought I was special when they quoted me the price on my 2011.

I guess that myth has been exposed. See you down the road.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #16

Hash welcome to the forum from a fellow Dylan customer. I bought used. Was disappointed with how they were going to send out my unit. It was a good thing I checked my unit out before I left. As far as Forest River goes I have nothing but good things to say about them. Jim
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote