Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 07:34 AM   #21

Wayne, is it possible that the bulb is dual element? Although I have separate low and high beam lights, it is aggravating that when I put the high beams on the low beams go off, I checked my cars and when the high beam goes on, the low beam stays on.

When I installed the Silverstar Ultra's, I saw that the life expectancy is only 300 hrs - Dah! As a life extender, when using lights in the daytime, I plan on using the running lights with the fog lights on.
Hank
Old 04-04-2016, 07:36 AM   #22

I forgot to upload pictures of low and high beams

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1459773224.431778.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1459773309.797152.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  66.1 KB

Wayne
Old 04-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #23

Hank the simple answer is no I only saw one filament and 2 wires in socket.

Wayne
Old 04-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #24

If they are Audi A4 headlamps, they probably have a shutter to change from low to hi beam.
"I am sure this question will come up: LHD countries (such as USA, CANDA) should only use them when cutoff shield plate within the projector lens is modificated to eliminate the asymetrical beam pattern to avoid blinding traffic." -Jens. Quote from Audizine forum. May want to check it, as the thread was about getting better illumination from the A4 headlamp.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #25

Sounding more and more confusing.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #26

Update......I had to purchase H11 bulbs with new connectors for the H11. OEM connectors will not mate with H11only H9. Since H9 only comes in basic and I wanted brighter is why I put myself through this experience. Once I opened the lamp assembly and removed H9 I installed the new connectors leaving the OEM connectors in place. Installing the bulbs was not without issue. Even though the foot print on each were close installing is not simple and requires patience to get the 3 tabs inserted. So now time or darkness will tell if this was beneficial or not.

Wayne
Old 04-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Update......I had to purchase H11 bulbs with new connectors for the H11. OEM connectors will not mate with H11only H9. Since H9 only comes in basic and I wanted brighter is why I put myself through this experience. Once I opened the lamp assembly and removed H9 I installed the new connectors leaving the OEM connectors in place. Installing the bulbs was not without issue. Even though the foot print on each were close installing is not simple and requires patience to get the 3 tabs inserted. So now time or darkness will tell if this was beneficial or not.

Wayne
I don't know how yours will work and I would be interested in how it comes out. I did order an HID kit from from Kaper II 360-423-0785 talk to John and I am going to install it later.
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post
I don't know how yours will work and I would be interested in how it comes out. I did order an HID kit from from Kaper II 360-423-0785 talk to John and I am going to install it later.

Will do. I was scared with doing the HID because of the projector in the assembly and the fact the HID is longer. My approach is same size as OEM so that won't be an issue. What assembly does Charleston use sorry I don't remember.

Wayne
Old 04-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #29

2015 XL Head Light Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV245 View Post
If they are Audi A4 headlamps, they probably have a shutter to change from low to hi beam.
"I am sure this question will come up: LHD countries (such as USA, CANDA) should only use them when cutoff shield plate within the projector lens is modificated to eliminate the asymetrical beam pattern to avoid blinding traffic." -Jens. Quote from Audizine forum. May want to check it, as the thread was about getting better illumination from the A4 headlamp.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Thanks NV245 I just had opportunity to look inside assembly I am guessing you are correct on the shutter since I saw a small coil in area of projector.

Wayne
Old 04-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #30

Wayne, first my compliments for posting the details of your quest. I started on a similar adventure for our Charleston.

I'm waiting to hear from FR with specs on my light assemblies and I hope to upgrade my high, low and fogs.

I've also been looking at LED options. That would be a big improvement. I've read they're not as strong as HID but also don't consume as much power.

I read somewhere else that the light gage wire might also be robbing the lights of some potential. Did you consider that?
Old 04-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hordok View Post
Wayne, first my compliments for posting the details of your quest. I started on a similar adventure for our Charleston.

I'm waiting to hear from FR with specs on my light assemblies and I hope to upgrade my high, low and fogs.

I've also been looking at LED options. That would be a big improvement. I've read they're not as strong as HID but also don't consume as much power.

I read somewhere else that the light gage wire might also be robbing the lights of some potential. Did you consider that?

Thanks, when you refer to the gage wire are you taking about the light assembly or the MH's wiring because the assembly wiring although not significant in length there is a lot of it. Sorry I am not up to speed with the Charleston headlight assembly. As for my quest we head back to Indiana from Bristol,TN tomorrow so lights will either improve or I'll be only driving in daylight hours.

Wayne
Old 04-20-2016, 12:21 AM   #32

Berkshire Headlamp assy.

We purchased a 2016 Berkshire XL 40 BH from Total Value in Elkhart, Ind. I live in Northern Wisconsin so the trip home did include some night driving.

My first thought was that the headlamps were not aimed right. they were plenty bright enough, but did not throw the light down the road. The road was lite up right in front of the couch very bright, but I could see were the light ended.

I have not looked yet to see how the lights could be adjusted. Have those of you that ordered the new H11 lamps tried to make any adjustments first?
Fkaske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:34 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkaske View Post
We purchased a 2016 Berkshire XL 40 BH from Total Value in Elkhart, Ind. I live in Northern Wisconsin so the trip home did include some night driving.

My first thought was that the headlamps were not aimed right. they were plenty bright enough, but did not throw the light down the road. The road was lite up right in front of the couch very bright, but I could see were the light ended.

I have not looked yet to see how the lights could be adjusted. Have those of you that ordered the new H11 lamps tried to make any adjustments first?

Yes my first approach was to adjust the head lights both the dealer and later the factory adjusted them. If the 2016 uses the same headlight assembly as the 2015 as I am sure you are witnessing is a wall that appears to block the light about 15+ feet in front of the coach. Putting brights on helps but in my opinion the lights are lacking in down the road intensity. What I have determined and as others in this thread have reported is the Audi A4 assembly used has a shutter that covers the light beam during low beam operation. Since the bulb uses is a single filament H9 it only comes in basic available from parts stores the only way to get high beam is the shutter moves out of the way. I am still learning the theory behind shutters so the operation could be the opposite but you get the point.
Monday night was the first test of the H11 but I arrived home shortly before sunset so I did not give them a good shake down. They were brighter as they should be but what impact will the shutter have still is undetermined.

Wayne
Old 04-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #34

Easy answer....Forest River met the minimum standards for headlamps. If I spent the cost of a new Berkshire I would be at the door wanting my money back, this is a real Safety issue. We spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the problem was and it is called saving money by the manufacturer ....at the safety of its customers. We replaced ours with HID lamps....cost about $100 ...factory $30.00 ..big savings for them.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkaske View Post

Congrats. on your purchase. I'm wondering what kind of a difference it would make once the coach is loaded down and you may be pulling a toad if that would make the lights shine further down the road.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #36

Quote:
Easy answer....Forest River met the minimum standards for headlamps. If I spent the cost of a new Berkshire I would be at the door wanting my money back, this is a real Safety issue. We spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the problem was and it is called saving money by the manufacturer ....at the safety of its customers. We replaced ours with HID lamps....cost about $100 ...factory $30.00 ..big savings for them.

The problem is for 2015 for sure and 16's I am guessing with the XL and probably XLT I don't believe the HID will fit. These units have reflectors and the longer bulbs may not work. Plus if your unit has a high and low beam bulb it is more conducive for an HID. We have one bulb and one filament. The shutter controls the high/low beam.

Wayne
Old 04-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #37

Call Kaper ll ask for john...360 423 4404 ...he is one of the reps who sell headlamps to the RV industry. He should be able to find the right lamps. Don't waste your time trying find them on line, most of them are order takers. Once you get a part number and manufacture on line works
Old 04-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #38

Wayne
Sorry to hear that your headlight assembly uses a shutter. A few years back when these shutter lights came out, I was wondering why in the distance some approaching cars where constantly flashing their high beams. I then found out that on country roads with dips an rises, as the car tilted upward coming out of a dip, the shutter's angle pointed more skyward and let the light go down the road. Sorry, but I found it to be quite the nuisance.
Hank
Old 04-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Call Kaper ll ask for john...360 423 4404 ...he is one of the reps who sell headlamps to the RV industry. He should be able to find the right lamps. Don't waste your time trying find them on line, most of them are order takers. Once you get a part number and manufacture on line works

I talked to John he is not familiar with the Audi light but looked it up while we talked. His concern is if there is enough room to install the HID as we all know the bulb is longer than the standard H9. Also would the bulb clear the shutter which blocks the light and directs it to the ground on low beam and allows 100% on high beam. So there are still unanswered questions. Not sure I want to be the Guinea pig at $100/set to find out. Told him since I live 10 miles from the plant I will see if they will allow me to borrow an assembly to get some measurements.

Wayne
Old 04-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #40

Let me know if it works or what solution you find

Tags
light