Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 03:44 PM   #1

2015 XL Head Light Assembly

Owning an RV is suppose to be relaxing I read that somewhere boy were they stretching the truth.
Within another thread on this forum there was a lengthy discussion about changing out bulbs to a brighter bulb since the supplied bulb did nothing to illuminate the road and that seemed easy in its self so I went to the parts store and bought the brightest model in that series and took it home. Since my unit was still at FR at the time I could do nothing else at the moment except I did ask FR to verify the series bulb in the 2015 Berkshire XL. They could not find out the bulb info but did determine that the headlight assembly was a 2008-2010 Audi. Researching on the computer I confirmed that it was a 2010 Audi A4 which uses a projection assembly but all the info only said bulb included not much help. Going into Sylvania's website and putting in that vehicle info for the assembly it said it was an H7 bulb but still I could not verify if that was true until today when I jacked up the front end and crawled into the area behind the headlight. Removing the bulb it did not say H7 as I thought but did say H9 so off to the parts store with the old bulb for what I again thought will be a easy trip to return the wrong bulb purchased weeks ago and purchase a brighter version of a H9. The gentlemen behind the counter looks at me and reply we don't carrying anything brighter than the basic bulb in fact that is the only thing we carry in the H9. He then goes to his computer and looks up websites for HID H9 and surprisingly finds some but not in his inventory. He indicates that is not a popular item I replied it might be if you stocked it. He suggests that an H11 comes in a brighter bulb but you would have to rewire the plug. Why oh why do I think that would turn into another cluster trying to rewire something in a limited space.
Anyway for all you XL and possibly XLT owners who have the assembly from the Audi if you are looking for brighter headlights at the moment you are out of luck. I am still researching options for us but one thing so far is a true HID bulb which is longer than the normal bulb may not work in the projector Audi assembly even if I find one so stay tuned to the next chapter.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:25 AM   #2

Wayne, have you or are you going to speak the folks at Audi?

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #3

Paul did not think of it. Not sure who to talk to.

Wayne
Old 04-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Paul did not think of it. Not sure who to talk to.

Wayne
Maybe try Audi Dealer parts dept ? Not sure, I would think that some of the people that buy them would question about optional choices for headlights.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #5

Looks like you can get these delivered right to your home , or maybe Amazon may have them. If they are even compatible for what you need.

Headlight H11su-2 - SilverStar Ultra (H11SU-2)

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 04-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #6

On sort of a related subject, does anyone know which head light assembly was used in the 2014 Berks ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 04-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #7

https://www.bing.com/search?q=h9+bul...%20replacement
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Looks like you can get these delivered right to your home , or maybe Amazon may have them. If they are even compatible for what you need.

Headlight H11su-2 - SilverStar Ultra (H11SU-2)

Joe the problem is not the bulb the H11 should (I have not confirmed that yet) fit as the H9 does but the connector that comes with the XL will not work on the H11. So that means new connectors.

Wayne
Old 04-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Joe the problem is not the bulb the H11 should (I have not confirmed that yet) fit as the H9 does but the connector that comes with the XL will not work on the H11. So that means new connectors.

Wayne
Did you read the link I sent. It explains the difference The 11 is not a direct replacement. Rather than ask and rebut read read read!
Old 04-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Did you read the link I sent. It explains the difference The 11 is not a direct replacement. Rather than ask and rebut read read read!

You should practice what you preach if you read the posts I indicated the H11was NOT a direct replacement for the H9. In part stores the only H9 available is the Basic nothing brighter. I have only begun exploring on line source but one solution is the H11 with a connector change or addition. The interesting but confusing point I read in your link is that H9 is used for bright lights or fog lights so what and where are the low beams? Also, $99 is not an answer for HID's IMO.

Wayne
Old 04-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #11

The link has many resources. Also you stated "Joe the problem is not the bulb the H11 should (I have not confirmed that yet) fit as the H9 " So will the H11 fit?
Old 04-03-2016, 07:37 AM   #12

Sorry this will not help you Wayne but maybe will others. I replaced my low beam 9006 with Silver Star Ultra's. Got the online at Walmart for around $37. I was shocked on the 300 hour life expectancy. For daytime usage, I plan to use the running lights with the fog lights on to save extend the life of the Ultra's.
Hank
Old 04-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #13

What is the difference between xenon and the HID that's being discussed here? I owned Audi's from 01 thru 08. A4, TT and A6's. The all had xenon lights.

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
The link has many resources. Also you stated "Joe the problem is not the bulb the H11 should (I have not confirmed that yet) fit as the H9 " So will the H11 fit?

I purchased the H11 but have not climbed under to see if it fits in the opening just comparing the two bulbs in the store it looks like it should but it only takes one little thing to make it not. Thanks for the link btw.

Wayne
Old 04-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #15

Play nice boys
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
What is the difference between xenon and the HID that's being discussed here? I owned Audi's from 01 thru 08. A4, TT and A6's. The all had xenon lights.

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
Paul, Obviously the headlight assembly that FR uses does not come with H9's with Xenon because when I removed the lamp a few days ago you could tell they were basic and clearly are stamped H9, plus when I went to multiple parts store they only sell the basic and according to Sylvania's web site they don't show anything in H9 must less with Xenon. They do show an H7 for the low and high beams for the Audi assembly but those do not have the socket only tabs out the bottom. You can find H9's on line but nothing I could see with Xenon either.
As for difference between Xenon and HID a true HID I do know the bulb is longer which might not fit in the projection assembly. Also, I am told there are wiring changes but I am not an expert in HID so only go by what I read. The one thing that would concern me are HID's not street legal? According to Sylvania their Xenon is:
  • The style and attitude of HID lights
  • 100% street legal and DOT approved
Old 04-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #17

Head Lamps

I just went through this with my headlights, and have found the answer. First check with FR and see who made the headlamp fixture get the part number call the manufacture and work with them. My coach a Georgetown XL ....the fixtures were made by a company called Kaper II (360-423-4405)...I bought an HID kit for the low beams,, said I would not need to change the high beams. What they said they supplied the lamps for FR however they only met minimum requirements and we all know that FR will save where they can.
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post
I just went through this with my headlights, and have found the answer. First check with FR and see who made the headlamp fixture get the part number call the manufacture and work with them. My coach a Georgetown XL ....the fixtures were made by a company called Kaper II (360-423-4405)...I bought an HID kit for the low beams,, said I would not need to change the high beams. What they said they supplied the lamps for FR however they only met minimum requirements and we all know that FR will save where they can.

Thanks dogpound I will see what I find out. I am still confused where the high beams are any way. I assume the low beams are behind the removable cover in the back of the assembly but I have only seen one socket.

Wayne
Old 04-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #19

Head lamp

Just turn them on one side at a time. You know high beams then low beams to see what lamp turns on. It was a long search to find out more information about the headlamps. Friday I just called FR, they wanted me to leave a message and I told them that my head lamp bulb was out and I needed to get more information to replace it. Mine has the H9 in both sockets.....and a standard lamp at that and there is no upgrade to a Phillips H9 at least that is what I was told.
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #20

2015 XL Head Light Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post
Just turn them on one side at a time. You know high beams then low beams to see what lamp turns on. It was a long search to find out more information about the headlamps. Friday I just called FR, they wanted me to leave a message and I told them that my head lamp bulb was out and I needed to get more information to replace it. Mine has the H9 in both sockets.....and a standard lamp at that and there is no upgrade to a Phillips H9 at least that is what I was told.

I went out before sun was up and turned lights on low then high beams. I could visibly see the difference between each but understandably both light come from round lens area I believe is called the projector. What confuses me is when I look at the socket in the back of the assembly I only saw one socket/bulb. Ok so one would think there are two filaments correct but no only one filament and two wires into socket. So where is other bulb or are they only putting a lower voltage for lower beam and higher for high beam? Never seen that done if they are but I guess would be possible.

Wayne

Tags
light