Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #1

2016 38A LED lights.

We have a lot of led lights that have stopped working. Anyone else having the same problem?
Blue Ox base plate & tow bar. Air Force one Braking system.
ccupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #2

Within two weeks we had 8 large ones out! On our initial trip to Michigan we stopped by the factory for a few repairs (such as the lights). They said it was found that there were a box (or two) that were bad. They replaced 22 of the complete fixtures rather than just the bulb. Since then no issues with those but we currently have 3 large and 1 small that's gone bad. Haven't called FR yet but will next week in hopes they send me out fixture replacements.

--Nathan
2016 38a
Old 11-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #3

Not sure if this is the same problem as yours, but twice, the driver's side soffit lights, dinette light and sofa light has gone off. I found a 15A cabin fuse blown.

On my rig, that soffit row, the ceiling lights and the passenger's side soffit lights are all controlled by the same switches and dimmer. What is weird is that a fuse normally protects a circuit of items, but how can it protect a third of the lights controlled by a single dimmer?
Hank
Old 11-11-2015, 01:06 AM   #4
7 Year Class A RV'er

I've got about 12 bad or partially bad lights in our 6 month old Legacy. Talked with FR today and heard the same about a bad shipment. Trouble us, they will sell them to me for $12 each but they won't ship for warranty except to an authorized repair facility.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #5

Newmar coaches are having the same issues.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccupton View Post
We have a lot of led lights that have stopped working. Anyone else having the same problem?
Chris & Carol - Are the many out LED lights randomly all over the place or in a row?
Hank
Old 11-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

I-RV: The fixtures that are completely out are randomly spread throughout the coach: 2 in the bedroom, 1 in the front bath and 3 in the living area. If you're thinking wiring (my first thought, too), that's not the issue (checked it). Good thought, though. If you remove the lens on some of the fixtures that are just dim, you can see groups of LEDs arranged around the "bulb" (not really a bulb, just a metal disk with LEDs and circuitry mounted to it). You'll notice some of the groups will be lit bright, some dim, some not at all. If you touch a group lightly with your fingertip, they will sometimes either light brighter or simply light up again, but it's temporary. It really does appear like the printed circuit or the LED solder to the board it simply bad. As I said earlier, on one of the fixtures, the LEDs actually came off on my finger, in another they had "dissolved" to a white powder and turned to dust when touched. I heard back from ITC (the manufacturer) this morning and they said to take it to the dealer, which I was trying to avoid because of the lousy experience I know that will be. Guess I'll see if I can find a closer dealer that actually does something when you bring your coach in (instead of the garbage I get from Lazy Days!).

Old 11-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
I-RV: The fixtures that are completely out are randomly spread throughout the coach: 2 in the bedroom, 1 in the front bath and 3 in the living area. If you're thinking wiring (my first thought, too), that's not the issue (checked it). Good thought, though. If you remove the lens on some of the fixtures that are just dim, you can see groups of LEDs arranged around the "bulb" (not really a bulb, just a metal disk with LEDs and circuitry mounted to it). You'll notice some of the groups will be lit bright, some dim, some not at all. If you touch a group lightly with your fingertip, they will sometimes either light brighter or simply light up again, but it's temporary. It really does appear like the printed circuit or the LED solder to the board it simply bad. As I said earlier, on one of the fixtures, the LEDs actually came off on my finger, in another they had "dissolved" to a white powder and turned to dust when touched. I heard back from ITC (the manufacturer) this morning and they said to take it to the dealer, which I was trying to avoid because of the lousy experience I know that will be. Guess I'll see if I can find a closer dealer that actually does something when you bring your coach in (instead of the garbage I get from Lazy Days!).

This looks like a wide spread issue. It's in several pages and also on other manufactures. They are talking about it over in the IRV2 forum. I bet it's going to take a while to fix as they will need to either find a new supplier or the supplier will need to produce a working product. That all takes time.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #9

Thanks for the heads up. We haven't had any problems yet but we haven't had ours that long either. We are headed down to Florida for Thanksgiving so I will be on the lookout for problems with the lights. Maybe ours didn't get any of the faulty bulbs.
Thanks again for the info
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er

I didn't think my problems were as bad as they are until I removed the lenses on the lights and looked inside. That's when I could see the various groups of unlit LEDs. To remove the lens, grab the edges with your fingertips and turn them slightly. The cam lock will release and the lens lifts off. Reverse to reinstall. Look at the "bulb" (it's a metal disk device). On it, you'll see several groups of LEDs. All of them should be lit, ?I believe that will be 4 groups.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:37 PM   #11

No the LEDs that are out where never in a row.... me thinks it's simply garbage equipment. When you remove the lens you can touch the LEDs and sometimes they come back on, other times the whole fixture goes out.... Just need a better quality fixture and bulb!
Old 12-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #12

where or who exactly can I buy these led lights from? do you have a part number?
rickhunsaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #13
7 Year Class A RV'er

Best price by far is to order them from FR.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Old 12-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #14

I had 10 replaced by Fr so far. Still have 4 out.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #15
7 Year Class A RV'er

cup ton: Did you have to take it to the dealer to get them replaced? My dealer's service department really stinks. I spoke with FR and they face me a price for new lights but they won't send warranty repair parts to anyone except a dealer.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:35 AM   #16

Yes. We have our dealer replace them.

Chris & Carol
2016 Berkshire 38A
2014 Honda CRV
Old 12-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
cup ton: Did you have to take it to the dealer to get them replaced? My dealer's service department really stinks. I spoke with FR and they face me a price for new lights but they won't send warranty repair parts to anyone except a dealer.

A few options. You can take your coach to any dealer that sells a Forest river product. Doesn't have to be a motorhome dealer just FR. Another option and yes I've done this. I've driven my coach to a local dealer, showed them what was wrong and they ordered the parts and I then went and picked them up and installed them myself.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light